Hiccup? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuicocku

I gave my lizard a bath and she seemed to be really thirsty so i gave her a bunch of water (im assuming she breathed some in) because now shes hiccuping and im really scared will she be ok theyre a couple seconds apart and sometimes shell made an audible gasp out of nowhere too what do i do!!!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
How long has she been doing this? Has it stopped yet? It's possible that she did accidentally aspirate some water into her lungs, so the best thing to do is to set-up a ramp using a small board or hard-cover book, something that you can put underneath her basking and UVB light on a downward slope, and put her on it with her head pointing down the ramp, so that the water can run out of her chest, and the heat from her basking bulb can help to dry it up. If you can bump the temps up 5-10 degrees by lowering the basking bulb an inch or two towards her that would also help, keep her like this for a day or two, until she's breathing normally again.

It's quite possible that she may develop an Upper Respiratory Infection from this, so you need to keep a close eye on her, and if she starts coughing or wheezing, if you hear any "clicking" noises when she breathes, or if you start seeing any excess mucous around her mouth (if you see mucous "strings" when she opens her mouth), and/or if she stops eating or becomes lethargic and starts sleeping a lot, then she'll need to see a Reptile Vet and have a culture/swab taken from her throat/nostrils to diagnose the infection and so she can be put on the appropriate medication. Hopefully this won't happen, but you need to keep a close eye on her for the next week or so.

My beardie used to do those when I let her drink too much water at once. Do as EllenD says but also whenever you give her water in the future, make sure to lift her head out if she seems to be drinking too much at once. She (like mine) may not realize how much she's drank and have to be lifted out for a moment before she may decide to drink more.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
He might just be stretching out his beard. He could have an upper respiratory infection if he's breathing out of his mouth frequently, coughing, making raspy or "popping" noises, and he's lethargic. If he's like that, then he needs to see a vet ASAP to get put on anti-biotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom