3 month old sleeping early every day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

I made a thread like this one like 4 days ago, but he is still doing it and im a worrying loving parent.
I got a new beardie a week ago, store told me he was 2 and a half months, but he looks a little bit older, hes been here for a week, so I say hes 3 months old. But he is up and active and alert for most part of the day (lights on at 8:30 am and lights off at 9:30 pm), until like 3 or 4 pm, he starts honkering down and eventually sleep in an hour or so, is it normal?
He is not eating as much as he should be for his age, but manage to eat something every day (not alot), like a few phoenix worms a day, 2-4 crickets a day, and sleep early.
I kinda of think its not normal and something is indeed wrong? My setup is all correct and verified by several people here, so I dont think its a problem with ym setup, maybe I need to take him to the vet?
Iv always thought its relocation stress still, but he seems very comfortable, social, and friendly to me and plays it off like he has settled in, but maybe he is not?

setup:
T8 24" desert fixture with reptisun 10.0 T8 tube, mounted 7"off the basking spot

temps are always 100-119 basking spot
90-100 hot area
75-85 cool area

I mean maybe that's just the way he is and he honkers down early

93594-1930428236.jpg
93594-3202002975.jpg
93594-4261662141.jpg
93594-3264908674.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your little one is very cute & looks alert.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temps with? I would recommend
getting the basking temperatures down to a range of 95-110 with a cool end of around 78-82
or so. He may be getting a little too hot which is why he isn't eating much.
Is the Reptisun 10 tube mounted directly overhead?

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Again I agree with Tracie, I thought that your temperatures were too hot as well when I read your prior post, which is why I suggested dropping them because I think he's too hot and that is dehydrating him and killing his appetite. I'm glad Tracie backed me up on this, because I really encourage you to get the Hot Side Air Temperature down to 93 degrees as an absolute maximum, and the Cool Side Air at 80 degrees as an absolute maximum, and again, this is extremely important, because with your current temperatures he has no gradient at all, it's just "hot" the entire way across the tank. He must have a Cool Side Air Temp that is considerably cooler than the Hot Side Air Temp, so 75-80 on the Cool Side and then 88-93 on the Hot Side is the gradient you need to aim for. Again, I think he'll perk right up when you drop the tank temperature down and give him a proper Temperature "Gradient" across his tank. And I'd also be offering him water on his snout 2-3 times a day for him to lick off, as he's most likely a bit dehydrated right now from the hot temps.

I believe you did mount your T8 tube underneath the mesh lid, correct?

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I turned it down yesterday. The basking spot was indeed getting a little hot for him, I bought an IF temp gun and it read his basking rock was at about 115-124, yikes. So since yesterday around noon, his basking rock has been at a constant 106-109 around the edges of the platform, and center 107-110.

Now I assume that's how you use the temp gun and measure his temps, measuring his basking rock, and around the area. the patform of his basking rock has been at those temps, and around the area on the carpet 89-100.

Cool area is at 82 right now, ranges from 75-85.

He has been on his rock all day and for the first time since I got him (6 days ago) he MUNCHED down. He ate around 8-10 large phoenix worms hand fed and I dropped some near him.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EllenD":1qg7ml35 said:
Again I agree with Tracie, I thought that your temperatures were too hot as well when I read your prior post, which is why I suggested dropping them because I think he's too hot and that is dehydrating him and killing his appetite. I'm glad Tracie backed me up on this, because I really encourage you to get the Hot Side Air Temperature down to 93 degrees as an absolute maximum, and the Cool Side Air at 80 degrees as an absolute maximum, and again, this is extremely important, because with your current temperatures he has no gradient at all, it's just "hot" the entire way across the tank. He must have a Cool Side Air Temp that is considerably cooler than the Hot Side Air Temp, so 75-80 on the Cool Side and then 88-93 on the Hot Side is the gradient you need to aim for. Again, I think he'll perk right up when you drop the tank temperature down and give him a proper Temperature "Gradient" across his tank. And I'd also be offering him water on his snout 2-3 times a day for him to lick off, as he's most likely a bit dehydrated right now from the hot temps.

I believe you did mount your T8 tube underneath the mesh lid, correct?

There is no mesh lid, so no need to worry about that, and there's no plastic or cover around the tube.
I'v also been trying, since I got him, to get him to drink water. Main method is the drip on snout, I'v bathe him twice but he doesnt drink, he does poop which is good. I'v tried dripping water on the side of a clear small tub but nothing. Right now he's been getting his water from food he's had (nto so much until today). Today he did munch down on phoenix worms, so he'll get hydrated from those I'm guessing.
But I can't get him to drink! Only method that has worked, but only done once, is put a syringe (plastic soft tip) in his mouth and drip little bit of water. But dont want to force it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom