Rescued beardie with possible Yellow fungus??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I have a rescued male beardie who Is semi-paralyzed. And is much smaller than my other two. He is around 16" to 17". He is underweight, and I am trying to get him to a better weight. I am feeding all three collard, mustard, and kale greens, along with yellow squash and blueberries. Feeder insects are dubia roaches and superworms. They all have a zoo-med 75W reptile-basking spot bulb and an Exo Terra 10.0 Repti Glo T8 Reptile Tube bulb, 15W. I have been noticing strange discolored spots on his ankles, some parts of his rear legs, his wrists, elbows, and the insides of his thighs. And he did just start shedding. Here are the photos: View media item 60929 this is the difference between him and my three yr old female. View media item 61006 this spot really worries me. View media item 60961 View media item 60643 View media item 60670View media item 60641 View media item 60364 Note: the blackened beard was because he saw my other two dragons and was bobbing at them. Lol View media item 60925 View media item 60670 View media item 60828he did not enjoy the photo shoot lol.The photos are all all the spots that are discolored.

He has not pooped in a week. (I will feed him some pure canned pumpkin mixed with a few drops of olive oil, along with a bath). He isn't eating greens on his own so he is on critical care again, along with force feeding greens. He eats insects great, but I do think he has a neurological disorder, as he misses his food like twelve times before he actually grabs it with his tongue.

Previous history: was bought at repticon in November from a rescue. (Do not recommend that rescue). We later visited that rescue and found out that he Was probably stuck in a 30 gal tank with three other sickly beardies with no uvb light. Or heat bulb. Just sand. :angry5: We then took him to the vet the next day and the vet said he had a huge load of pinworms, was severely underweight and malnourished,and there were other problems like the beginnings of a RI, (managed to fix that thankfully,) and a birth defect that makes his right eye watery:View media item 60497
So thankfully he has put on a lot more weight, the pinworms are gone, the RI was caught early enough to be easily corrected and he acts just like a normal beardie and is extremely active despite his handicaps. But those spots of discoloration really worry me. Is it YF? Bad shed? Or just natural coloring?

Thank you in advance!

*EDIT* If you have not heard in other Posts, In April Thor had to be put down because all of his organs were shutting down and there was not much hope. :( I Miss The Little Dude and Have Really appreciated All of Y'alls help and Advice on here for caring for Thor. Thank you. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A lot of those look like shedding to me. There is one patch along the (left?) leg that looks like a scab that might be concerning. It could either be an old healing wound or possibly fungal. I'd keep an eye on that and have a skin test done to test for YF if it changes. Might be good to have a test done for peace of mind anyway. In the meantime I would keep them isolated from eachother and be sure to wash hands well between handling and sanitize surfaces well with some F10 or a steam cleaner just in case there is an infection. You don't want it spreading to your other crew.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, that all looks like areas of retained shed. The inner thighs are just shed around his femoral pores. You're doing a great job with him + hopefully he'll do well for you. :) And do keep him separate from your healthy female .

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello all,

UPDATE: The spots on his legs have shed off and look much better, The scabby looking spot is starting to clear up, He has gained a bit more weight, Is Very active, and Is starting to get better at walking and coordinating his limbs. He was chasing after Cisco and actually was keeping up with her!! :blob5:

Although at my last vet visit the vet told me his femoral pores were plugged. Any ideas on how to correct that??

Thank you everyone who has helped me,

-HippieLizards.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad to hear that he's doing so well. :) I don't think the pores are clogged, from the picture it just looks like shed caps on top of them. Give him a warm bathe if he'll tolerate it and use a toothbrush to gentle brush that area. Other than that he will file them down as he rubs against objects in his tank like logs + rocks which he should have for climbing.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok, Thank you so much! I'll get my beardie-Toothbrush to brush his pores.

He cannot climb very well. So I have low branches and other climbing things for him, He just actually does more of a slither than walking. Is it possible to post videos on BD.org so I can show how he walks?

Thank you again!,

-HippieLizards.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I think he's suffering from MBD, that's pretty obvious from the way you're describing that he walks, the way he's holding his legs, the way he "misses" his food when trying to grab it, the problems climbing, and then the shape of his spine, it's pretty obvious MBD, probably due to inadequate or no UVB light as you described...poor guy has had a rough life. The best thing you can do is keep him under a nice, strong UVB tube, a T5 strength would be best, and make sure that he's getting calcium 5 times a week and a multivitamin 3 times a week, and that you leave both his basking bulb and his UVB tube on for at least 13-14 hours every day. Some the physical and neurological disabilities will improve, but a lot of them will be things he just learns to deal with. I have a male that is now a year and 5 months that I rescued at 8 months old, he was never under any UVB light at all, and he was very much like this little guy. He's now 500% better after being under a T5 UVB tube and getting liquid Calcivet 5 times a week and Repashy Calcium Plus 3 days a week. He's much stronger, he no longer flips over onto his back, and he rarely falls anymore, he can climb up things now as well. But he still has no depth perceptions and often misses his bugs and his salad, he keeps his front legs folded underneath him a lot of the time, and he's got a weak back-end and poops best in a warm bath. But he's much, much better than he was...

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I must first say thank you everyone for your help! Both me and Thor thank you. :D

and Wow, Your beardie does sound a lot like thor. I Have Been Dusting his food with rep-cal Calcium four times a week and the Herptivite multivitamin twice a week. I Am trying to get a vet Appointment ASAP. Even though Its an 'Exotics vet' The head vet does specialize in reptiles and Has treated several beardies in the past.

The Strange scabby looking patches on his legs are starting to peel off!! :blob5: :blob5:

Although I think the tip of his tail is necrotic so I'll be taking him to the vet to check on that. He Also has been black bearding a lot and I'm not sure if it's because of breeding season or his tail. He Also isn't eating his greens, He did do a healthy looking firm poop a few days ago. :D

I Also am getting him a New tank. Its a 50 by 17 by 18 inch tank and its the perfect size for him.

Any thoughts? I really have no idea what to do. I'll try to post some pics of his tail soon.

-HippieLizards.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The black beard is most likely because of the presence of the female. It's best not to have them together really, he's going to have strong mating urges which will cause stress. But do post pics of his tail to show the condition, hopefully it's just a dark tail end that many beardies have . Good to hear that the pores are looking good, they usually aren't a problem. :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Here's his tail: View media item 60455 View media item 60783 View media item 60632 View media item 60846 View media item 60623 View media item 60997 That circled spot is the slight kink in his tail.

So far he has been doing really well today. He has been ultra active, He ate a ton of food, and I Think he has put on some more weight. :blob5:

He also has a Swollen Toe that has been there ever since I got him. The Toe is very hard to the touch though. View media item 61159 View media item 60363 View media item 60536
Here's how he looks today: View media item 61137 Here's his setup: View media item 60716 View media item 60516 Yes his tank is a bin, But I am getting him a new tank with tons of space. Just Need to clean it up more and Disinfect it ( It's Cisco's old tank, We upgraded Cisco's cage). and You can't tell, But what my previous measurements say, He has grown a half inch!!! :blob5: :blob5:

I measure and Weigh each dragon (and my gecko) Every month. To see how much they're growing.

Thank you everyone for the help!!

-HippieLizards.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The tail looks damaged but I can't tell if it's necrotic or not. It doesn't look too bad to me, just dark and slightly damaged. Certainly worth having a vet check it out though. Since the toe looks very white I'm guessing it's just swelling to loosen a shed but I'm not certain of that. You can post videos by uploading them to a host like vimeo or youtube and then post a link to it here.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh good, :D I thought that His tail would have to be amputated partially. Would it still be ok to go to the exotics vet though? the Head vet has had previous experience with beardies and has treated many in the past, or Will I still have to find a specialized reptile vet?

His toe has always been white and has always been swollen. When I asked the vet at my last vet visit the Other vet just shrugged the tail and toe off. I Previously took him in at his last visit because It looked like he had mouth rot and a respiratory infection. They prescribed antibiotics on him and some liquid calcium wich I had him on for a month. I Do still have some of the medicines that we had for him if y'all need to know what they are (I'm still new to reptile medicine, So I still don't know wich ones are good or not).

Thor's fat pads look sunken in, and his hip bones and some of his tail vertebrae are showing. Any idea on how to fix or treat that??

Thank you!

-HippieLizards.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have an experienced vet you trust that's fine. Our vet is experienced with reptiles (and has some) and she's great. For advanced issues she consults with colleagues around the country or refers us to the teaching hospital. No problem. I'm not sure about the tail though so best to have it checked. If the shriveled area expands or the tail starts to look more wounded it's probably infected though. Watch for changes along those lines.

For a skinny dragon keep offering water and if he's eating give him a wide variety of food. Don't push too much with fatty food or proteins but offer a steady balanced diet and in time the fat stores should replenish. First step is almost always hydration followed by veg baby food (if they aren't eating on their own), salads, and easing into bugs.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I just noticed that some of the tail pics are hard to see the exact spot. Here's some better pics: View media item 60684 View media item 61149 View media item 60411 View media item 60529
Sorry if they still are a lil blurry. Thor kept trying to crawl away.

Also, The way he walks is sort of an army crawl. He sorta flops around and sometimes flips on his back when crawling/flopping around. I Don't have YouTube or Vimeo though, so I can't post a video right now (Sorry).

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh, I didn't see your post. Oops.

Good. I was worried that I would have had to find another vet. My vet's great. :) He actually kept beardies for a while so he gave me tips on how to care for Thor. :blob5:

I Have been offering him water. But I guess I was given the wrong info about getting his fat levels back up. I Was told to feed him water and mainly protein and give less salad than usual until his fat pads are back up. That way obviously didn't work. So I will try your way and hopefully he will be back to normal. I Do make sure that he (and my other two plus my gecko) gets water every day.

As For the tail, It has been the same the whole entire time I’ve had him. Except that the dark coloration has seemed to spread over most of the top of the tail. But not the bottom. Any ideas on why the dark coloration is spreading, But just on the top of his tail? Is it a shed? He is going through a partial shed right now. He is only shedding on parts of his legs right now, and just scale by scale on his beard. Nothing else has started shedding. Except he did just get finished shedding on his face and eyes.

-HippieLizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom