Tail color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nojobs

First off, temperatures are fine in both end.
He is 9 months old.

His face started changing color about the same time as his tail. But now his face shed and he looks like a Predator but his tail remains greyish

I remember his tail shed to be his entire tail and not just the half of it

96742-7269814433.jpg
96742-7406838401.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Saying the temperatures are fine isnt the best as its better to actually explain what the temps are.

Sheds are always going to be different, one shed may be a whole body shed, the next may just be a small patch on the tail and head.
It's just shed so it'll come off soon.

Nojobs

Original Poster
As for now, its cool spot is 90 (its very hot inside the house at the moment, sun it at its best) Usually it varies between 75-85 (night/day)

As for the basking its currently at 117 (yet again it house temperature)
usually varies between 104-112

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you need to turn the basking bulb off right away or get a lower watt bulb ASAP !. A cool spot of 90 is waaaaay too high + can cause him to overheat badly. You are always better off with it a bit cooler temporarily than too hot.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, temperatures are definitely not "fine"! 117 degrees F is in the lethal range, he's gotta be at the least dehydrated and at the most going into heat exhaustion! As AHBD already told you, turn off his basking bulb immediately before he goes into heat stroke and dies. Seriously, way too hot. And his Cool Side Ambient temp being 90 is not fine either, it's way too hot. Not only is the Hot Side of his tank lethal, he has no Cool Side at all to go to, as he needs to always have! 80 degrees max in the cool side.

You cannot just blame these temperatures on "the house being too hot" and "again, the house", as that will not keep your dragon from dying. Anything from 110 to 115 degrees is dehydration and heat exhaustion temperatures, anything over 115 degrees is lethal range for a dragon. We had a dragon die a few months ago because the owner was using a stick-on thermometer only and had no idea what the basking spot temp was, and it was 123. He died a few hours after the person turned the basking bulb off. So you cannot be so lax about his temps, he's very uncomfortable right now at best, if not already sick.

And that's retained shed on his tail, as Venus already said they don't always shed the same parts at the same times, or the same parts each shed. So please just let it be, do NOT try to help him get it off, as that can result in a tail injury. It will come off soon enough.

Please do a better job of keeping his 3 temperature ranges at least close to where they are supposed to be, using either a temperature gun or a digital probe thermometer instead of a stick-on thermometer, if that's what you're using those temps could be even higher than that...Basking Spot Surface Temp between 105-110 degrees max, with 110 degrees the absolute maximum temp anywhere in his tank, Hot Side Ambient between 88-93 degrees max, and Cool Side Ambient between 75-80 degrees max, as he ALWAYS must have a place to go and cool down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom