Lamp fell on Kevin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
I had just changed his bulb & while trying to re-clamp it onto the side, it fell right on him from about 6in. Obviously scared him to death & he took off running but dragged his right back leg. It's been about 30mins now & he is very alert & has not had a black beard at all but is not using the leg. He ate a few crix even tho it wasn't feeding time. I am currently waiting on my husband to put money in the bank so I can make the hour and half drive to the closest herp vet. He is so pitiful. I haven't stopped crying & bawling cause I feel I have killed my baby. I checked him out after it happened & the leg is just completely limp. I'm not sure if it's broken or out of socket, probably broken. Hes very small, 9in & 25g so i really feel there is more damage then just the leg. There's absolutely nothing I can do til my husband gets a chance to swing by the bank & put in the money I need just for the exam. I seen other threads of the same thing happening & either they didn't make it thru the night or passed a day or two later, even after going to the vet. I am EXTREMELY attached to him. I hope I get him help on time.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
It could be broken depending on how the lamp landed, when you go to the reptile vet they'll probably want to take x-rays to see the damage.

I doubt he'll die overnight,I had a similar thing happen to my juvenile beardie a month or so back. I was opening the screen top that slides and usually the heat lamp can stay on there but for whatever reason it fell and almost hit her in the head, but ended up hitting her in the side with the outer part luckily. She was pretty freaked out afterwards.

Just continue to watch him and as soon as you can take him to the vet, preferably today.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":q54p01g3 said:
Just continue to watch him and as soon as you can take him to the vet, preferably today.

Oh, he is definitely going today. I've already called the vet to find out how much it's gonna cost me, which I'm sure it'll be more but I'm hoping I can do a payment plan on the treatment cost, but they said they can do a fit in for him today just might have a 1-3hr wait. Hubby is on a job right now, but soon as he leaves it to go to his next, hes gonna call & head to the bank. Ive already got everything ready to just stick him in the box & head out. Just playing the waiting game right now...

I've kept a constant eye on him & lowered his lights so he can't climb on anything & he really seems fine, all but the leg. He's tried to put weight on it but it looks rough on him.

He also keeps trying to reach back to it, idk if to lick it or what? Just curious if you might know why? He's done it maybe 3 or 4 times in an hour. Makes me think of a dog licking it's wounds. Or he me wanna bite it off? Not sure what's going thru his poor little mind...

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Probably not to bite it off, maybe to check it? Not entirely sure on that.

Its good you'll get him in today, also good you took things out so he couldnt climb on anything. Hopefully everything will be fine once you go to the vet, or at least mostly be fine.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I want to keep this thread going to document for future owners to refer to...

So, update... I was unable to get Kevin to the vet yesterday evening due to husband not getting a chance to put money in the bank for me. I kept a overly watchful eye on him & everything seemed well, aside from the leg. He only ate 7crix for dinner, competed to the usual 16.

I woke up @ 6 out of anxiety & turned his lights on & checked him out. He woke up & relocated under lights pretty quickly so that's good.

I called the vet again & setup an appointment for 9:50. While packing his "to-do breakfast" & putting him in the shoebox, I think I noticed slight swelling in the lower leg/ankle but can't be sure.

I made the hour and half drive on bad tires. We are currently hanging out at the vets office waiting. Will do an update asap! Wish us luck it's just something minor...
96176-4079830321.jpg
It's really cold in the vets office... He hates it. The left hind leg is the injured one

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I'm glad to hear that you were able to get him to the vet when you did. Hopefully they will be able to get it set properly so it can heal.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, he is splinted & pitiful with strict restrictions. We are in the car about to head home so after I get home & him settled & comfortable, I'll do a more thorough update.

His vet was AMAZING! I'm so glad I came all this way rather than the vet that sees exotics that was closer. They even put a little Christmas tree on his splint. I started bawling!

96176-8369810455.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully the splint helps and he has a full and quick recovery! I'm glad you found a vet who was helpful and that you liked working with. That certainly makes a big difference.

3magpie3

I’m so sorry, how stressful! It’s clear you care for the little guy. Please don’t beat yourself up too much. Accidents happen and you ultimately took care of him. ❤️

Cute splint! How long does he wear it?
What do they give lizards for pain control?

I had a parrot that broke his leg when someone else was watching him. He struggled initially (They only have 2 legs so it’s more challenging LOL) but recovered amazingly well, and even without 100% function he walked on it and ate with it. I’m sure your little one will do just fine with some healing. Animals are so adaptable. They don’t sit around feeling sorry for themselves, we do. ;)

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We are home! They gave him Metacam to take daily (0.01ml) & I was told to put him in the smaller 10g tank, which we both hate! So now I'm struggling to get him enough heat. Luckily the UVB I have is only 18in so was easily able to transfer it. He has to be on newspaper with absolutely nothing in his tank.

We will have to go back whenever the splint starts to slide off, which will hopefully last at least 2weeks. That's why she said newspaper so it doesn't get hung while he drags around. His femur should be nice & healed in about 6wks. & I really hope so cause my baby is due in 8wks so I really hope to have him healed up before she comes lol!

He isn't eating, & tho it's to be expected, I'm stressing over it. Especially since he obviously needs his calcium right now. He ate 3 crix about 10mins ago. & it's 12:20. On a normal day, it's about 2hrs til his next feeding. But it's not a normal day so he skipped breakfast & should be starving now. He also hasn't done his morning poo so that's making me even more stressed cause he didn't really ate after the accident happened.

I'm trying my best to not get upset but looking at him being all pitiful & struggling, knowing it's my fault, is extremely hard. I want to make everything as easy & comfy for him as I can I had been hand feeding him last few days before the injury & was feeling a real bond happen. Since the accident, he won't take a single cricket from my hand, when he does eat. So I feel there is a huge loss of trust happened now.

I'm not supposed to mess with him but I want him to feel safe with me again. I don't know what to do... this is hell for us both ???

What can I do to make sure he's getting enough calcium? & food?

EDIT: So Kevin apparently hates his little Christmas tree on his splint & decided to attack & effectively eat half the star! So we now get the added stress of impaction. It's incredibly small, he ate maybe a quarter inch worth, probably less. It's made out of medical stretchy cloth tape stuff so I know he won't be able to digest it.

Gonna call the vet cause I'm freaking over that now ?

If I was a beardie, I would definitely have a black beard & tail now....

3magpie3

You’re reading too much into the trust thing. He’s just out of whack and uncomfortable, which is why he’s not acting normally re: eating from your hand. He broke his leg, went on a long car ride, got a splint, and now is in a totally different tank. Lots of change. I’d expect him to act differently. He doesn’t associate the accident with you. Be nice to yourself! <3

All you can do is your best. Give him some time.

Sucks there was something for him to eat on the splint. :(
Let us know what the vet says.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He probably doesn't like or understand the feeling of being bound up. I wouldn't worry too much about the star. It's flexible and a small bit should just pass through eventually without being harmful.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The vet said he should pass it with no problem. I know he doesn't understand why he's all wrapped up. He's just pitiful.

I didn't even think about the possibly of his behavior towards me not actually being towards me. He certainly has had a rough 24hrs.

I just bought some liquid calcium, haven't even got home with it yet. Do you think it would be a good idea to give him some while he isn't eating? If so, how much & how often? It's just regular Flukers Liquid Calcium. I won't give him any until someone says yay or nay.

Thank you everyone for the concerns & encouragement. I will likely start a new post to track his recovery soon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy.....and you are a bundle of nerves understandably. Best wishes for an uncomplicated recovery. The fact that he's eating is a very good sign, he was in great health and that will go a long way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom