Lamp fell on Kevin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Glad to hear things are going well for you, or at least as well as can be expected with the two beardies and a new human baby in the house... :wink:

Some beardies are really good about staying out of their own poop and others don't seem to care, and as for still others, it depends on what kind of a mood they're in. Ours falls into this last category. Sometimes he goes "downstairs" to poop in his tank so he doesn't mess up his basking platform, then does a little dance to let us know that we were too late with his bath and we have a mess to clean up -- he's semi potty trained to poop in the water, but we can never expect perfection, and he doesn't always do his little "get me out of here I have to go to the bathroom dance" soon enough for us to have the bath ready in time, and besides, it's hard to tell the difference between that and the "get me out of here I want to run around the house and get into mischief" dance, which does not call for the immediate preparation of a bath... :roll:

On the other hand, our beardie has been known to poop in his sleep or right under himself while awake and basking, and sometimes he turns a darker color to let me know that he's not happy about something, and sometimes not, and I don't see it until and unless I pick him up. So Kevin's not really abnormal in that respect, at least not as far as beardies and poop go. Same thing with shedding -- they tend to be sloppy about it, and as long as you keep the skin moist with frequent baths, it should be ok. My reptile vet has "held my hand" through some stubborn tail sheds, as well as warned me that beardies don't do it as neatly as snakes.

You probably know about the "Never leave a baby alone in a bath" rule, and it applies to bearded dragons of all ages just as much as it applies to human infants, especially in Kevin's case. If I were you, I'd stay with him and keep both of my hands and all of my attention on him when you have him in the water, so best to do his baths when hubby is home just in case Penelope demands attention from one or the other of you at the same time, unless your daughter feels confident to take over with Kevin's bath while you go do whatever else needs to be done.

It's really good that Kevin is holding his own and eating and pooping and at least trying to move around, and that he doesn't seem to be in any pain. It's possible that he may always have some deformities and/or at least a limp, and may not grow up to be what would be considered perfectly "normal", but he may still be able to have a good and enjoyable life anyway, and in my opinion, that's what really counts. And it sounds like there are at least no worries with Keisha. So with two healthy human children (one of whom is willing to help with the beardies), one healthy beardie and one somewhat healthy beardie with "special needs", and a helpful husband (at least where the human children are concerned), it sounds like you might be able to cope? Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to keep score -- it's more than I could handle but you're younger than me -- and I know you have to be quite a bit younger than me because you just had a baby and I just finished menopause. :wink:

I'll leave it up to Tracie and some of the more knowledgeable people to advise you on which powders to dust on which meals (I have it too easy with our beardie -- just calcium powder and multivitamins, no meds, at least not currently), except to say that BSFL are very nutritious (high in calcium, if I remember correctly), so if that's the only thing Kevin will eat, he could do a lot worse. I suppose he'd have lots of trouble catching crickets unless you disable them for him, but BSFL are easy.

Shopping trips to crowded pet stores with a new baby are probably not worth it. Having hubby stop for supplies on his way home from work is probably a much better option. Hopefully he'll get used to it and learn to follow a shopping list and not forget to stop at whatever store he needs to on the way home. I had to quit driving several years ago (I was a road hazard :oops: ) and my husband promised to do the grocery shopping, and he's been true to his word. At first I felt like I had to go with him, but now he "solos" on the way home from work, hauls all the groceries into the house, and even helps me put some of them away. We're even getting to where I can email him the shopping list instead of going over it with him in person the night before to make sure he understands what I want him to get (yes, I'm a control freak, especially about what comes into my kitchen, just in case that wasn't already obvious), so hopefully yours will be able to get used to helping with what you need help with so you can all settle into the new routine without more chaos than any of you can handle... :)

Sorry about the TLDR -- hopefully you'll be able to take good care of your little family even if you don't have time to read all of this. :oops:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
With vitamins, just a light dusting on one meal twice a week is fine. Hoping everyone is doing well. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It definitely sounds like you have a great support group there, the whole family helps out!
That's great, everything should work out just fine. :D
I hope everyone is doing well, too!

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just wondering how the family is doing and how Kevin is doing....hope all is well !

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh my gosh, I've had my hands full! It's getting a little bit easier but I just don't have enough hands and time in the day. Everybody is doing great tho!

Kevin is still all twisted up but doesn't seem miserable anymore. His back has gotten worse & I'm just at a lost to what's causing it. He has started moving better tho. He won't use his back legs, which if you could see his back, makes sense. They aren't paralyzed, he can move them & pretty well, he just won't use them. He started using his front legs again. He raises up, but not to bask or for no reason, only when he wants to move. He will now walk to his worms instead of me dropping them right in front of his face. I use this to make him move around. Drop them on opposite side of where he is & he will come over to them! He is making no other improvements & his body doesn't look good. No matter what I've tried, he still gets worse. I don't think he is gonna get very much older. He doesn't seem in pain or miserable so I'm just doing my best to at least make whatever life he has left awesome for him. It's hard because he's had so many struggles, but I don't think there is much more I can do for him other than love him & take care of him. It's been so long with these issues, I think it's safe to say he is officially a special needs dragon. That's ok, he's still special anyway lol!

Keisha is HUGE now. She's now a little over 10in long & weighs 45g. So she's doing well. Eats like a mini horse! I swear I don't think she ever gets full. She's pretty awesome. She goes to where I drop her crickets in & waves her arms when she's hungry. I love it! She's gotten quite the little fluffy belly on her. She loves her greens & squash also. Empties her bowl no matter how much I put in there. & if I don't have fresh ones in there when she wants them, she poops in the bowl lol!

Human baby Penelope is doing great also! She's a month old now & just adorable. Got my 1st real smile from her yesterday so that was fun. Can't wait til she's old enough to hang out with the Beardies lol!

So, everyone is doing really good. I'm just worn out & don't even try to have me time anymore lol. Just as soon as I sit down & try to do anything at all, it's time to feed everyone. Btw, seems I've somehow gotten everybody's feeding schedule lined up together. If one is hungry, it's safe to say all the others are hungry too lol. Gotta get that fixed somehow. I feed baby first, then Kevin, then Keisha, then repeat lol! I'm sorry it's been so long since I've been around but hopefully things will be calming down with the baby soon so I will have more free time.

Hope everyone & they're dragons are doing good! Thanks for still being around too lol!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice to hear the update ! I feel for little Kevin but at least he's not in much pain. And of course you're too busy to be on here all the time but it's good to hear that most everyone is doing well. Penelope's first words will probably be dragon related. :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Nice to hear that you and all your "babies" (human and beardies) are doing well, and bless you for trying to keep little Kevin comfortable and for being willing to give him the best life possible for whatever time he has. He may surprise you -- beardies have been known to do that. :wink:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Curious about how your dragons were doing, is Kevin still hanging in there?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom