Questions! (brumation + care)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIRST.
I know brumation is a thing, and my 3-year-old Chilli has gone through it before, but it seems really, really long? He's now started around late summer (I think late September) and is still going strong. He's still able to be awoken and active when necessary (such as getting grumpy when in a bath), but of course doesn't eat and always hides, napping in his shelter. He isn't losing much weight (if any) just a little wrinkly, but still thought it would be good to check. Other times he's a perfectly healthy dorky mess, so yeah :D

SECOND.
A year ago, my cousin got a bearded dragon. Just yesterday, he said he didn't want it anymore. I don't get to see him often, so I couldn't check much, but now, I have it, and it's a mess. Luckily, I have a very capable friend who can take it, but I want to know what I can do in the few days I have it because the dragon is in a mess of a situation. Obviously thin, in a small tank (luckily the friend it's going to has a larger one, so the small tank is now just temporary) that is an utter disaster (incredibly messy, doesn't look like it's been cleaned in ages), and just doesn't seem good. I'm cleaning the cage tomorrow (writing this before bed) and going to check the dragon out a bit more, as well as make sure everything is okay, and give it some good food, but just wondering what would be best to help?

Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Chili, that is a long brumation. I would increase his photoperiod and try to get him to come out now....after 5 months it's pushing toward a bit too long. Remove his cave + just put it back at night.

As for the new dragon, just be slow at first with live food/protein to be sure he doesn't overdo + get sick or impacted. Try to get hydration in him....if he tolerates being soaked and will drink, that's good. Otherwise offer water via eyedropper by dripping on his snout . You can use a spray bottle as well, just a slow, gentle stream. Drip [ or spray ] stop, repeat until he starts drinking. You might add a bit of Pedialyte or a very small amount of gatorade mixed with the water as well. If he's too frail for live food get some baby food chicken, green beans + squash. There's also a product called Repashy grub pie that lots of dragons like, it's very nutritional, too.

ChiliDragon

Original Poster
AHBD":6cp5k6du said:
Hi Chili, that is a long brumation. I would increase his photoperiod and try to get him to come out now....after 5 months it's pushing toward a bit too long. Remove his cave + just put it back at night.

As for the new dragon, just be slow at first with live food/protein to be sure he doesn't overdo + get sick or impacted. Try to get hydration in him....if he tolerates being soaked and will drink, that's good. Otherwise offer water via eyedropper by dripping on his snout . You can use a spray bottle as well, just a slow, gentle stream. Drip [ or spray ] stop, repeat until he starts drinking. You might add a bit of Pedialyte or a very small amount of gatorade mixed with the water as well. If he's too frail for live food get some baby food chicken, green beans + squash. There's also a product called Repashy grub pie that lots of dragons like, it's very nutritional, too.

The other dragon is doing perfectly now, thank you so much! Healthy and active, just a little skittish, but yeah :D

As for brumation. Been taking the hide out of the cage and increased the light time, even tried to coax with favorite treat, but nope. Light turns on in the morning, I leave to school, come back and Chili is on the cold side of his cage sleeping. Still healthy, thankfully, no dramatic weightloss or anything bad I've seen, but still, any more advice?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I guess he's going to do his thing. As long as he's healthy let it go a few more weeks if he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom