Which age is too young for brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fairly new baby beardie is about 2-3 months old and I think she might be brumating. She's not doing anything alarming to get me worried, she's eating regularly, pooping regularly the only thing that's changed is the fact that she's been sleeping a lot more compared to how she used to the past 2 weeks. so I was meaning to ask is she brumating or could her sleeping schedules have changed OR should I get worried

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new baby!

No, she's definitely not brumating. Dragons don't typically go into any type of brumation until they are well over a year old, sometimes it can happen a few months earlier than a year, but this is very rare, and will never happen when they are babies or young juveniles at all.

If there are any issues with her being lethargic and sleeping a lot, this is usually due to inadequate UVB lighting, having the UVB tube set up too far away from their basking spot, having the UVb tube obstructed by a mesh lid, improper temperature zones, or a combination of all of these. So it's best to try to get your husbandry issues worked out now, before they start causing any nutritional deficiencies in her....Can you post some photos of both her and her entire enclosure, as well as her lighting set-up?

Also, what UVB light do you have, what brand/model/wattage and/or strength, and what type (long tube, compact, or coil bulb) of UVB light do you have?

maggie2311

Original Poster
This is Gucci being sassy:
95994-625010250.jpg
This is her enclosure (it's already night where I am and I just took the pic):
95994-9959917408.jpg
This is her basking lamp:
95994-3606666247.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Does she not have uvb? If so thats the problem.

Also that purple/blue/black night time light is probably not the best. If its too cold at night you need a ceramic heater not something that produces light.

maggie2311

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":mhhi2bun said:
Does she not have uvb? If so thats the problem.

Also that purple/blue/black night time light is probably not the best. If its too cold at night you need a ceramic heater not something that produces light.
We have a heating system at my house so it's not really that cold at nights during winter. Also I live in a country where the temperatures in Summer are daily at 40 degrees Celsius.
The woman at the pet shop told me that the basking lamp is also a uvb lamp BUT it doesn't say so on the box, so I don't know what to assume.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Thats completely wrong, the heat lamp is just a heat lamp. Unless it says MVB (which is only 100-150 watts from what ive seen) or it produces actual uvb and it states that on the box. Which that heat lamp is just a regular heat lamp, i usually buy those to heat up my juveniles enclosure along side her tube light.

Dont ever trust petstores, im pretty sure they want to kill every animal in the world or something with the crap they tell customers.

Depending on the enclosures size, a 22" reptisun t5 HO 10.0 uvb tube light should work and a 24" fixture thats reflective. You can get one on amazon for a cheap price depending on where you are. At the moment your beardie has been receiving 0 uvb since you've had her so she may start to develop MBD if she doesnt get uvb soon.

Also if its warm inside the house turn off that "night time" bulb as its completely useless.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Hey there. You’ll need to get a Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube ASAP. Because she’s currently not getting any adequate UV light (coil UV lights are weak and essentially worthless), her metabolism has been compromised. Additionally, proper UV lighting has a dramatic effect on a beardie’s energy levels, so once you get a Reptisun (or an Arcadia) UV tube installed you should notice an immediate difference in her behavior (less napping, more basking, perkier).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A bearded dragon's first winter is too soon.

As a matter of fact, it is not necessary for a bearded dragon to brumate at all.
Brumation is only a response to colder conditions and a lack of food in their natural range during the long DRY SEASON that happens between May and September.

None of my pet skinks or dragons have ever brumated. I keep the photoperiod long (16hr) , the temperatures up, and keep the food coming. None have ever shown any desire to go down for a very long nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom