Junivlle Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knpkelemen

I just brought home a new bearded dragon today. I noticed a black spot on the end of his tail. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?
96053-6253175260.jpg
96053-366194300.jpg
96053-4951083073.jpg
96053-580640007.jpg
I want to give him time to adjust and don't want to take him out of his cage today if I don't have to.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Looks completely fine he looks pretty healthy as well,

Can you post a pic of the lights, and supplements and tell me what your feeding him along with how big the tank is and how old he is. Wouldnt want anything to go wrong.

Knpkelemen

Original Poster
Thank you for your help. I have him in a 40 gal. tank with a screen top. I have a 100 watt basking lamp and a UVB bulb as well. I have live small crickets for him. They said he was eating about 5 per day. I am keeping juvenile pellets in his bowl as well. We have collard greens and snow peas to offer as well. I was advised to not feed him today while he adjusts. I have added a picture of the calcium to dust the crickets with. Any advice you have is welcome. I have not had a bearded dragon since I was a child.
96053-4446602464.jpg
96053-4473551428.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
He needs a new uvb right away, the compact/coil ones are basically useless in most cases as they are almost entirely weak and dont provide any uvb on top of a mesh screen. And in most cases they also cause eye irritation, blindness and a few other things like mbd.
You can get a 30" or 22" one on amazon along with i believe a 34" or 24" fixture that must be reflective inside. Make sure to get a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 tube light. Its pretty cheap on amazon and thats where i get most of my lights.

As for the commercial food its also pretty useless and should never be given as a staple, more of a "i dont have fresh veggies" kind of thing. It works for temporary food until you get actual food in most cases.
As for how many times he should eat and how many he should eat is a lot more than what they told you. Usually 3 times a day with 10-20 bugs each feeding, make sure to clean the bugs out before the lights go off.
Im guessing hes around 2 months so according to age this is what i do,
1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding, 4-12 months 2 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding, 12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs each feeding, 20+ months every other day or 2-3 times a week 10-20 bugs each feeding.

As for the supplements the calcium will work but you need multivitamins as well, i recommend getting repti-cal multivitamins without d3 added, offer calcium 5 times a week on at least one feeding of insects and multivitamins twice a week on at least one feeding of insects.

As for the temperature gauge if you have one that sticks onto the side and isnt digital you'll have to order a digital temperature gauge with a probe so you know the basking temp and not the air temp which is needed. Usually around 100-105 is a good basking temp with the cool side being around 70-80 and night time temps never dropping below 65.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, please order a new long, UVb tube, at least 18" or longer, and if you order a T8 instead of the much stronger T5, you need to get it mounted underneath that mesh lid and within at least 6" of his basking spot. The T8 tubes must also be replaced once every 6 months, as they stop emitting any UVb light at that age. The much stronger T5 UVB tubes can sit on top of the mesh lid, but still must be within at least 11" of his basking spot/platform, and must be replaced once every year.

Leave both his new UVB tube and his bright white basking bulb on each day for at least 13-14 hours. You should just shut that coil UVB light off if you've ordered his a proper UVB tube and a tube fixture to hold it, as it's not been providing him any UVB light anyway at all, and it can cause severe eye damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom