I fear he is starting to brumate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OviDear

What are the beginning signs of brumation!? Trex is very lethargic and isn't even trying to bask as much as he did two days ago. Is it ok for a 10 year old dragon to brumate?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Usually lethargic, not wanting to eat, hiding all the time and maybe only coming out occasionally to bask or eat is probably the sign of burmation. I know even after treatment of pinworms my male beardie thats 20-21 months old so a year and a half still hides every once in a while during the day.
As long as hes healthy and a good weight it should be completely fine.

OviDear

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":14yflcpb said:
Usually lethargic, not wanting to eat, hiding all the time and maybe only coming out occasionally to bask or eat is probably the sign of burmation. I know even after treatment of pinworms my male beardie thats 20-21 months old so a year and a half still hides every once in a while during the day.
As long as hes healthy and a good weight it should be completely fine.
Thank you for your response! I just want to know if there is anything I can do to make him comfortable.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
As long as he's not showing any other signs of ill health such as weight loss or dark color (especially a black beard, which can mean he's in pain if it's not accompanied by head bobbing or other behaviors that could mean he's hormonal), then it could be brumation, given the time of year. Every beardie is different when it comes to brumation -- some go to sleep for a long time (up to several months) and some hardly do it at all, so I figure it's best to give them the choice and continue to provide a warm basking area as well as some hides, and have food available in case they want it. If he seems determined to go to sleep for a long time, one thing you want to make sure of is that his digestive tract is empty -- in other words, he should have had a good poop since his last meal. Then most people would recommend checking on him at least once a week to make sure he's not losing weight and that he's at least hydrated (see if you can get him to drink a little water at least once in a while).

If you don't want him to brumate (most people don't believe it's necessary for their health, just an instinctive way of getting through a harsh winter), you can try leaving his lights on for a longer period, up to 16 hours a day. That might trick his biological clock into not thinking that winter is coming.

It's always a little scary because there are other things besides brumation that can make a beardie lose his appetite and become lethargic (I'm assuming that you've got him set up with proper temperatures and lighting, including UV), especially at his age, so it's good that you're keeping an eye on him and trying to make him as comfortable as possible.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom