Brumation or not....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lionel has been acting a little odd lately, his temps and everything are fine and hes pooping ok, though hes a bit off his food the last couple of days. I keep catching him sleeping in odd places like under the repticarpet and indeed he is sleeping more than normal. Someone on instagram indicated to me that he might be getting ready to go into brumation, so I read up on what to do and how to care for him if he is going into brumation.

So fast forward 2 days, today all he wants to do is get out of the viv and has spent most of the day trying to get out of the viv. I let him out at lunch time and he ran straight to the coldest part of the room; under the curtain by the big window, curled up and went to sleep. I let him have a little time there as it was clear he wanted it but then I cuddled him for a short time and put him back in the viv as he felt cold. Since then he has spent most of the last hour glass surfing again trying to get out. So now I am really confused as to whether he is trying to brumate or whether he is just odd like his momma?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What I'm seeing is that brumation seems to confuse them as much as it confuses us, especially the first time they go into it. They brumate at different levels too. Some will sleep for long periods and others will either just slow down or have a few days down and a day up etc. I'd say if he wants out, let him out for a bit and put him back when he finds a place to bunker down as you did. Does he have a nice dark hide to go into in his tank? As long as he is otherwise healthy, isn't losing weight etc. Then I'd just try to keep up with what he seems to want to do at any given minute. He's probably trying to figure it out himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom