Bearded Dragon with undigested poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon seems to be having problems going to the bathroom. I don't think he is impacted because 1. He had a reptile carpet substrate 2. He isnt lethargic 3. He goes after food and seems hungry when I feed him and 4. I dont feed him a food that would cause impaction. He eats Carrots, Large crickets, and I mist him once a day as well as every other day baths. I have a strip UVB light and the temperatures are 110 in hot side and 80-85 in cool side. I take him out every once in awhile for actual sunlight and he gets good excercist running around my bedroom floor and desk. When he goes to the bathroom it seems to be full of partially undigested crickets and it is only once a week. He is one year old and Seems to be healthy in every other aspect.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Every bearded dragon has a slightly different digestive schedule. Some poo daily, others every other day, and then some poo every two weeks. As long as there's regularity, you don't need to be concerned.

The partially undigested crickets you're seeing is most likely the crickets' chitin shells (exoskeletons). Like unsoluble fiber for humans, this stuff can be pretty tough for beardies to digest. Since this seems like a consistent thing, you might want to try other feeders with a different exoskeleton composition — dubia roaches, calcium worms, silkworms, etc. Providing a varied diet is a good thing anyway.

Also, between 12-18 months of age, a bearded dragon only needs bugs 2x/week, with salads provided daily (https://www.reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care-packet/bearded-dragon-insects-supplements-water/

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I agree with the other member’s advice. I’ve found that dubia roaches, silkworms, and Phoenix worms are more than just highly nutritious feeders—they also tend to produce more “desirable” bowel movements. Conversely, feeding a beardie too many hornworms in a sitting will result in bowel movements that will haunt your dreams. I’d mix up your beardie’s protein source and see how he fares on some of the healthy staple worms or dubias. Staple veggies like butternut squash and those rich in fiber can also help keep a beardie regular.

RancidLatte

Original Poster
HylianHealeys":1plmrkki said:
Every bearded dragon has a slightly different digestive schedule. Some poo daily, others every other day, and then some poo every two weeks. As long as there's regularity, you don't need to be concerned.

The partially undigested crickets you're seeing is most likely the crickets' chitin shells (exoskeletons). Like unsoluble fiber for humans, this stuff can be pretty tough for beardies to digest. Since this seems like a consistent thing, you might want to try other feeders with a different exoskeleton composition — dubia roaches, calcium worms, silkworms, etc. Providing a varied diet is a good thing anyway.

Also, between 12-18 months of age, a bearded dragon only needs bugs 2x/week, with salads provided daily (https://www.reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care-packet/bearded-dragon-insects-supplements-water/

So you're saying that I may be able to feed him 20 crickets twice a week and salads throughout the week?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
20 crickets twice a week might be too many; just offer as many as they can eat in 15 minutes. But yes, bugs 2x/week plus daily salads will be perfect for your beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom