Black spot on the snout

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Hello all! So as of today, my Iggy is refusing to eat anything. He is going through a heavy shed at the moment as you can see below although I don't know if that is the reason for this. When I picked him up out of the feeding container just now, he instantly jumped out of my hands and onto my shoulder, very much clinging to me. He has been very clingy for the past few days so I will say that. Iggy's also been scratching himself on whatever he has been able to find and as a result, I've been giving him a bath or two throughout the day in order to help with his discomforts. What I'm most worried about is a black spot that I found on his snout, seen below.

95175-612428049.jpg

95175-4138133274.jpg

Here is a general picture showing the shedding that Iggy's going through as of this moment.

95175-7539981934.jpg

Should I be worried about any of this that's taking place? I'm particularly worried that he's not eating anything as of this morning, it's most definitely not like him to do that. He's just ignoring his food and wanting to escape the feeding container. I should further mention that Iggy loves bath-time, so in no way am I stressing him out with frequent bathings :) He just sits there and closes his eyes every now and then, soaking up the heat from the water and even sometimes taking a drink from the water. Every now and then, he'll also take a toilet break in there (otherwise he'll do it in the vivarium).

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I should further mention that Iggy did a rather large poop this morning while I was giving him a bath, and it was very runny in nature. It also seemed to contain two partially digested woodies. Yesterday too, he wasn't basking properly either. He only basked for minutes at a time and spent most of the day (when not outside of the vivarium and spending time with me) on the cool side of the tank. Today, he seems to be back to basking normally but I am observing him carefully to see if there are any irregularities with his behavior again. The temperatures within the vivarium are 30-32 *C on the hot side and 27 *C or so on the cool side. Iggy also had a large drink of water from the bath itself today.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His hot side should be about 5-10F hotter, or around 38C. That might boost his appetite. And I don't really see the mark very well, the pics are shadowy but nothing looks out of the ordinary.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1h2n0gvp said:
His hot side should be about 5-10F hotter, or around 38C. That might boost his appetite. And I don't really see the mark very well, the pics are shadowy but nothing looks out of the ordinary.

This is ambient air temperature, mind you, so should I still raise the temperature to that amount? He ate a few largish woodies today and I was so happy to see him do so! In turn, he has successfully shed a large portion of his body but still has the extremities to go. Are they typically quite difficult to shed, the extremities?

The black spot on Iggy's snout is to the right of it. Taking the photo below with the help of my close friend and house-mate was quite difficult because Iggy just kept wanting to cling to my chest XD

95175-215468840.jpg

EDIT: I've updated details of his living conditions here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=237464

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like his nose (and back) are about to go into shed. Looks like a normal shed to me.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1czyln6l said:
It looks like his nose (and back) are about to go into shed. Looks like a normal shed to me.

Thank you for the response and okies :) You are correct that he is going through a shed at the moment.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Some beardies do lose their appetite for a while when they're shedding -- it makes them pretty uncomfortable for a while. Iggy looks healthy to me. :)

Sometimes the extremities can be a little difficult, especially toes and tail tips. The thing to watch for is that the shedding skin doesn't become a tight band around a toe or tail and cut off the circulation, but as long as he enjoys baths, you can keep it moist and that shouldn't be a problem.

We like it when our beardie poops in his bath -- it makes cleanup really easy. All you have to do is dump it down the drain, so you may even want to encourage that. :wink:

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":1js7hwcz said:
Some beardies do lose their appetite for a while when they're shedding -- it makes them pretty uncomfortable for a while. Iggy looks healthy to me. :)

Sometimes the extremities can be a little difficult, especially toes and tail tips. The thing to watch for is that the shedding skin doesn't become a tight band around a toe or tail and cut off the circulation, but as long as he enjoys baths, you can keep it moist and that shouldn't be a problem.

We like it when our beardie poops in his bath -- it makes cleanup really easy. All you have to do is dump it down the drain, so you may even want to encourage that. :wink:

Thank you :) I've been very worried because Iggy's been sitting on the cool-side of his vivarium nearly all of the time as of the past five or six days, and barely basking at all. I read that is also shedding-related because the heat dries out the old scales and makes them all the more itchy. He did eat an awful lot of woodies today though, about 10-15 large ones in total (and they were large). I was very surprised that he didn't puke any back up.

95175-797088705.jpg

As you can see above, that's what I caught him doing just right now. I think he is trying to get the humidity from the water in that bowl, so it might be time I gave him his daily bath then. I'll check his extremities during that time for any banding of the shedded scales.

I'm not sure about pooping during bath-time being an easier cleanup on my end, because I then have to disinfect the container that we use afterwards with diluted F10 SC solution. Iggy likes to have a drink during bath-time so you can't have the container being dirty! :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess there are pros and cons to just about any strategy for dealing with poop -- you end up having to disinfect something or other sooner or later. Our beardie usually doesn't drink the water directly from his bath -- we dribble it on his nose with an eyedropper, so not as much of a worry there.

At least Iggy's got his appetite back, and apparently in a big way. That's almost always a good sign. :blob5:

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":282cbuub said:
I guess there are pros and cons to just about any strategy for dealing with poop -- you end up having to disinfect something or other sooner or later. Our beardie usually doesn't drink the water directly from his bath -- we dribble it on his nose with an eyedropper, so not as much of a worry there.

At least Iggy's got his appetite back, and apparently in a big way. That's almost always a good sign. :blob5:

Iggy's been eating insane amounts of woodies lately, it really does surprise me that he can fit so much into such a tiny package. His poops have equally been on the huge side-of-things, and they have gotta be painful for him to pass those. Poor thing :(

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I once asked our reptile vet how many bugs we should feed our beardie for a meal, and instead of telling me numbers, she made a little circle with her fingers and held it over his body to show me that his stomach was about this big and it was right about here, so I had to imagine how many crickets or roaches of appropriate size would make a chewed up wad around that size. :mrgreen: However, I have noticed that no matter how many bugs we feed him, he always seems to be able to stuff in just one more, so I guess Cooper's right about the "compression algorithm". :lol: But in our beardie's case, it only seems to work for bugs -- veggies, not so much. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom