Female Laying Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a young female dragon named D'artagnan, and while it will be a bit before she is old enough to lay any eggs, I want to be ready in case it happens. She won't be bred or introduced to a male enough to produce fertile eggs, does that mean she won't lay? Will she develop any infertile eggs, and if so, how would I know, and what should I do? Thanks!

Here's a few pictures. They aren't really relevant to the topic, but she's pretty cute.

95215-3890881087.jpg
95215-926783896.jpg
95215-1019792399.jpg
95215-9583786097.jpg
95215-3069555452.jpg

The last one is pretty old, she was about two months old.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
She is very cute! Always good to plan ahead. :)

Some females produce infertile eggs, while others don't, so you'll have to pay special attention to her after she reaches sexual maturity around 18-24 months. There are certain signs to look out for, ways you can make sure she has enough food to fuel egg production, and she will need a safe place to lay.

This article should be able to answer your questions: https://www.reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care-packet/bearded-dragon-illnesses-health/egg-laying/

If you have any other questions, let me know!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is true, not all of them lay infertile eggs. It is possible for them to lay them very young though, one of our girls laid 21 at only 11 months of age! She never laid any other clutches though thank goodness.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
diamc":nyql1z5d said:
It is true, not all of them lay infertile eggs. It is possible for them to lay them very young though, one of our girls laid 21 at only 11 months of age! She never laid any other clutches though thank goodness.

21 at 11 months?!?!?!?!?! :shock:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes ma'am and it was only a month after we got her from a breeder.

4097-1247386933.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Diamc those eggs look fertile. I wonder if they let her mingle with a male just before you got her, or if she had already even laid a clutch before you got her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Most infertile eggs will not be plump like those, they will look like half filled water balloons, deflated and saggy.

Some infertiles are plump but not usually that perfect.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's actually what I was thinking, that they looked TOO perfect. I did contact the breeder and he said a few of her sisters had just laid infertile eggs too. Wouldn't you think that if they were fertile though, she would have laid another clutch? We got her in May and she laid them the end of June.

She acted shocked by the whole thing though like she had no idea what had happened and didn't want any part of them. In fact, I had to hold her to comfort her to help reassure her that all was ok.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
That's very normal. Bearded dragons don't have maternal instincts; very few reptiles actually do take care of their eggs/babies. It may seem cold to you as a human, but she's probably just exhausted from the ordeal — eggs take a huge toll on a female dragon's body, especially in one so young. Give her extra bugs and calcium for the next month to help her recoup her losses. Giving her extra soaks will also be beneficial, since she's probably dehydrated.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Believe me, I know they don't have maternal instincts, this wasn't the first time I have had a gravid female in over 16 yrs of having beardies.I have instructed many owners on what to do to help build up their females after laying fertile & infertile eggs.

Anyway, this was last June that she laid this only clutch. She recooped very quickly. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
At 11 months old it would be odd for all the female siblings to be laying eggs. I think the breeder got mixed up on their age [ ? ] and possibly even had a male in among them. Maybe your girl laid a clutch or 2 before you ever got her, or maybe just this one.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for your thoughts. He said only a "few" of her siblings had also just laid infertile eggs. I know her exact hatch date 8/14/15 and that was one reason why I chose her because she hatched on my birthday. I had followed her for months before I purchased her. The way she acted though, I don't think she had any other clutch and hopefully she won't lay anymore. Hopefully too, she is still a virgin. :eek:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've never seen infertile eggs look that good but maybe it does happen. She's a healthy girl to lay such big slugs. :)

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
diamc":2lmon9ob said:
Believe me, I know they don't have maternal instincts, this wasn't the first time I have had a gravid female in over 16 yrs of having beardies.I have instructed many owners on what to do to help build up their females after laying fertile & infertile eggs.

Anyway, this was last June that she laid this only clutch. She recooped very quickly. :)

Sorry diamc! For some reason I thought this comment was from the OP. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom