shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys :D
so blade is shedding for the first time and since I've never had a reptile before I have some questions. how long do the sheds usually last? or does that depend on the beardie? is it safe to pick him up? like will it hurt him if I do? should I be doing something to help him or should I just leave him alone until it's over?

Bear333

Hi there!

If it’s his first, it should take around 1 1/2 weeks on average for his whole shed to finish. It is safe to pick him up, just try not to rip the skin off. Something you could do is give him a warm-ish bath up to his elbows for 15-20 minutes and this helps loosen the skin and it falls off naturally. Do keep in mind they sometimes have loss of appetite and can be sluggish during shedding. Hope this helps:)

Dezzylove50

Original Poster
Bear333":6g9kztan said:
Hi there!

If it’s his first, it should take around 1 1/2 weeks on average for his whole shed to finish. It is safe to pick him up, just try not to rip the skin off. Something you could do is give him a warm-ish bath up to his elbows for 15-20 minutes and this helps loosen the skin and it falls off naturally. Do keep in mind they sometimes have loss of appetite and can be sluggish during shedding. Hope this helps:)
thank you, that actually did help a lot but how do I give him a bath if he still wont let me pick him up?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he's stressed by picking him up don't bother with the bath. It's probably not worth the stress. He will be able to shed on his own. The bath is a good idea if they like it but if it's stressful just let him be and maybe give him a semi rough surface to rub up against if he wishes. Something like wood bark or similar with a little texture usually works well.

Dezzylove50

Original Poster
CooperDragon":mvoggkoo said:
If he's stressed by picking him up don't bother with the bath. It's probably not worth the stress. He will be able to shed on his own. The bath is a good idea if they like it but if it's stressful just let him be and maybe give him a semi rough surface to rub up against if he wishes. Something like wood bark or similar with a little texture usually works well.

okay. thank you so much

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Can also try this stuff too called "Zoo Med Repti Shedding Aid". Just spray and rub on his skin that's shedding. My beardie hates baths so spraying this on him really helps :D

Dezzylove50

Original Poster
Reptilelady":39db1jwj said:
Hi,
Can also try this stuff too called "Zoo Med Repti Shedding Aid". Just spray and rub on his skin that's shedding. My beardie hates baths so spraying this on him really helps :D

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom