Getting dark and back shrinking with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC109

My bearded dragon keeps getting dark in his tank and having a black beard. His back keeps looking like this and it's at random times. I haven't been able to get his temps right they are either too hot or too cold. I have a 75,100,and a 150 watt that I keep switching and none work. I've tried moving the basking spot higher and lower nothing works. Idk if that's what's upsetting him but what's going on with his back?!? Also this ONLY happens in his tank. When I take him out he is super bright and orange and happy and active. He is eating very well and pooping everyday
92152-4811598086.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Anna, can you post a shot showing the entire set up ? And what type of uvb do you use ? His tail is shedding so that can reduce his appetite a bit, and him hunkering down like that may be just trying to absorb more heat.

It's O.K in a large tank if the hot zone is a bit high because they know how to get closer/further to the heat as they need to.

AnnaC109

Original Poster
92152-5711181350.jpg
AHBD":1akawus1 said:
Hi Anna, can you post a shot showing the entire set up ? And what type of uvb do you use ? His tail is shedding so that can reduce his appetite a bit, and him hunkering down like that may be just trying to absorb more heat.

It's O.K in a large tank if the hot zone is a bit high because they know how to get closer/further to the heat as they need to.

I think I've shown you my set up before. I'll post a picture of it. I moved his ubv up and over so it's on him wherever he is bc he never goes on that far left side. It's a reptisun 10.0 it's about 4 and a half months old I was going to buy him a new one next month.

I have a 100 watt and it only get to about 95 degrees and the 150 watt gets way too hot like up to 130. No matter how high or low his hammock is ( he likes that as his basking spot best) is 95 too cold?? I'm mostly worried about the thing with his back. He will suddenly tense up and his back looks shrunk and wrinkly and then he will stop but it worries me. He never does it outside his tank. He will get a black beard too. Idk what's upsetting him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a mood probably, nothing to worry about. And 95 is a bit cool if he's still growing, but it is in the acceptable range for an adult. Have you tried putting his log there or finding a nice basking rock to try there instead of the hammock ?

AnnaC109

Original Poster
AHBD":21xtwu8d said:
Just a mood probably, nothing to worry about. And 95 is a bit cool if he's still growing, but it is in the acceptable range for an adult. Have you tried putting his log there or finding a nice basking rock to try there instead of the hammock ?

Yes I have. I've changed his tank set up quite a few times and this seems to work the best. I put the probe right where his head is and it gets to 100 degrees. Also he is eating and pooping daily so Ik that's a good sign. I did call the breeder I got him from and she said the darkness is his hormones. It's hard to keep the temperature exactly the same bc the weather where I am changes everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom