The long term effects of poor care for rescues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockler

20171007_083756_zpsmhcjr2vb.jpg

Tl;dr what are the long term effects of poor husbandry

Hi guys. I wanna ask about porunga, my 3 year old.
He's been with me since july and a month later I took him to the vet cause it looked like he got his leg broken from an overzealous cuddle from a 5 year old. The vet was visibly angry when I explained the previous husbandry he went through (I went through the arav website to find porunga's vet. He wouldnt look at the lizard until I explained my set up top to bottom and had that corrected since ive never even owned a reptile before) porunga had hyper calcimia and a urate plug (I may be saying that wrong) which was treated with supplements and basically a month of no climbing, handling ect. The fracture turned up so small on the x ray the vet wasn't 100% if it was there, but porunga is better now. I'm saving up to go back because he didnt take care of the plug yet, but it seems to have gotten smaller with better diet it seems. I also just want a general check up.
What I am concerned with is what are the long term effects of his poor husbandry? For example, his gait is uneven and the vet said it'll never be 100% again from his break that was caused more by lack of nutrition then a kid learning how to handle small animals.
I cant seem to get rid of his dehydration wrinkles. I spray him with water daily, I'm having trouble getting him to drink but I try the tap the water and put it on his nose trick. I bathe him for an hour once a week and every other day or third day he gets a short soak for poos, but at no point does he look interested in drinking it. I spray his face and I can see him swallow but he doesn't stick his tongue to lap it up. He kinda went nuts when I tried the juice in the water because he stole my syringe, so it seems a bad idea to give the sugar monster his fix. But For real. He snatched it. He was originally given a water bowl and just expected to know what to do.
On lighting he has a reptisun tube 5.0 (I went by what the vet said) and the zoo med basking reflector dome light at 75 watt. Orginally his uvb light went through glass because his tank was a sideways aquarium and so you can imagine his heating situation since glass would crack under proper heating. Right now his low side hits around 82 on average and after some experimenting its roughly around 112. I use a temp gun, by the way.
His diet previously was the typical mistake of feeding him like a baby as an adult where he consumed mostly crickets and mealworms. The vet said alot of dragons have lived vegetarian diets as adults and have been fine and so up until like 2 weeks ago I had been doing that. His poop though was super watery, which was incredibly confusing with the wrinkles, but I've added back some hornworms and phoenix worms and the occasional cricket. his poop went back to normal beardie poop like a week after adding in bugs so I dunno how to feel about the water poop. I went through a few posts about vegetable diets and it turns out I was right about not being overly concerned.
His previous greens were the occasional kale and grapes. Now he gets a staple of collard greens. I'll defrost one of those vegetable mixes sometimes since the vet said that had lots of yummies for him. I'll grate carrots, add sometimes mango or prickly pear or squash. I add cactus leaf and turnip greens or endive. Occasionally bok choy. He gets fed every other day because feeding him every day was making him fat. I'm not sure if he's too thin now since I never had a healthy beardie!
Sorry for the long post but lets plunge on
He's had a slow shed and the pictures aren't showing, but his yellow is turning into a beautiful color and his lilac is gorgeous under the light. Right before I got him I thought he was a dirty yellow and I had been told he just had his shed by the previous owner. He started a month ago shedding and a day ago he started back up again.
He's missing toes, the end of his tail and I'm waiting for him To finish because the end of it is a worrisome dark brown. I have a credit card to smack down if y'all think tail rot is a genuine concern at this point, but you know how dangerous that road is financially.
Just further info, he's in a 4x2x3 melamine wood cage with newspaper as substrate. No water bowls inside, he's got a branch for basking, a plastic climbing tree thing, and a half log hide. Btw he loves napping or just chilling inside that hide. I'm not sure if thats normal. he was never active when we got him. He'll actually stand up properly now but he seems to elect not to use his newfound athleticism. Playtime out the cage means lemme hide and stay in one spot behind the shelves but that could also be that all my floors are hard. And our bonding currently consists of I am tolerating this human more then I tolerate others.

I know this is a lot wrong, but I wanted to home an older beardie who might have trouble finding a one. I'm just hoping that I can take care of my grumpy old man better with a little help.
Thanks y'all!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'll address a few things quickly for lack of time right now. :) Your pics didn't show up, so here's how to post them :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG

So you will need the Reptisun 10.0, and in this new tank I imagine the lights are mounted inside. What is the distance beteween the uvb light and where he sits + basks ? A basking temp. of 112 is too high, esp. for and adult, get it down to about 100-105.

Only 1 bath a week, and never ever for an hour, just 10-15 minutes. Drinking and eating is how they stay hydrated. A dragon that is then will be wrinkly even if he just drank his fill of water.....it's from not having enough food and just being plain skinny. You can still offer a tiny bit of fruit juice mixed in water, better yet some Pedialyte. And he still needs insects, so order some crickets or dubia roaces and offer 4-6 medium bugs at a time first but no more than that. You want to be sure his system can handle them. Best wishes for your wobbly guy, there's no way to tel how this will affect his actual life span. Just like people, some go through extreme trauma during their early years during a war , battling disease , etc. but still live a long life, others a shorter life. Genetics plays a role in it too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Mockler":puptbgf6 said:
20171007_083756_zpsmhcjr2vb.jpg

Tl;dr what are the long term effects of poor husbandry

Hi guys. I wanna ask about porunga, my 3 year old.
He's been with me since july and a month later I took him to the vet cause it looked like he got his leg broken from an overzealous cuddle from a 5 year old. The vet was visibly angry when I explained the previous husbandry he went through (I went through the arav website to find porunga's vet. He wouldnt look at the lizard until I explained my set up top to bottom and had that corrected since ive never even owned a reptile before) porunga had hyper calcimia and a urate plug (I may be saying that wrong) which was treated with supplements and basically a month of no climbing, handling ect. The fracture turned up so small on the x ray the vet wasn't 100% if it was there, but porunga is better now. I'm saving up to go back because he didnt take care of the plug yet, but it seems to have gotten smaller with better diet it seems. I also just want a general check up.
What I am concerned with is what are the long term effects of his poor husbandry? For example, his gait is uneven and the vet said it'll never be 100% again from his break that was caused more by lack of nutrition then a kid learning how to handle small animals.
I cant seem to get rid of his dehydration wrinkles. I spray him with water daily, I'm having trouble getting him to drink but I try the tap the water and put it on his nose trick. I bathe him for an hour once a week and every other day or third day he gets a short soak for poos, but at no point does he look interested in drinking it. I spray his face and I can see him swallow but he doesn't stick his tongue to lap it up. He kinda went nuts when I tried the juice in the water because he stole my syringe, so it seems a bad idea to give the sugar monster his fix. But For real. He snatched it. He was originally given a water bowl and just expected to know what to do.
On lighting he has a reptisun tube 5.0 (I went by what the vet said)
>>>> if this a T8 or a T5HO ?
>>>> not adequate , I recommend replacing with an Arcadia 12% tube

see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

aim for 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot.

and the zoo med basking reflector dome light at 75 watt. Orginally his uvb light went through glass because his tank was a sideways aquarium and so you can imagine his heating situation since glass would crack under proper heating.
<<<< zero UV (A or B) will have made it through the glass, so it's not surprising he has serious calcium deficiency, VitD3 deficiency, MBD due to lack of UVB, and a lot of other issues as well (due to lack of UVA)
Right now his low side hits around 82 on average and after some experimenting its roughly around 112. I use a temp gun, by the way.
<<<< 112F is too hot, NEVER HOTTER THAN 40-43 deg Celsius. Refer to viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

His diet previously was the typical mistake of feeding him like a baby as an adult where he consumed mostly crickets and mealworms. The vet said alot of dragons have lived vegetarian diets as adults and have been fine and so up until like 2 weeks ago I had been doing that. His poop though was super watery, which was incredibly confusing with the wrinkles, but I've added back some hornworms and phoenix worms and the occasional cricket. his poop went back to normal beardie poop like a week after adding in bugs so I dunno how to feel about the water poop. I went through a few posts about vegetable diets and it turns out I was right about not being overly concerned.
His previous greens were the occasional kale and grapes. Now he gets a staple of collard greens. I'll defrost one of those vegetable mixes sometimes since the vet said that had lots of yummies for him. I'll grate carrots, add sometimes mango or prickly pear or squash. I add cactus leaf and turnip greens or endive. Occasionally bok choy. He gets fed every other day because feeding him every day was making him fat. I'm not sure if he's too thin now since I never had a healthy beardie!
Sorry for the long post but lets plunge on
<<< awful lot wrong with that diet .
He's had a slow shed and the pictures aren't showing, but his yellow is turning into a beautiful color and his lilac is gorgeous under the light. Right before I got him I thought he was a dirty yellow and I had been told he just had his shed by the previous owner. He started a month ago shedding and a day ago he started back up again.
He's missing toes, the end of his tail and I'm waiting for him To finish because the end of it is a worrisome dark brown. I have a credit card to smack down if y'all think tail rot is a genuine concern at this point, but you know how dangerous that road is financially.
Just further info, he's in a 4x2x3 melamine wood cage with newspaper as substrate. No water bowls inside, he's got a branch for basking, a plastic climbing tree thing, and a half log hide. Btw he loves napping or just chilling inside that hide. I'm not sure if thats normal. he was never active when we got him. He'll actually stand up properly now but he seems to elect not to use his newfound athleticism. Playtime out the cage means lemme hide and stay in one spot behind the shelves but that could also be that all my floors are hard. And our bonding currently consists of I am tolerating this human more then I tolerate others.

I know this is a lot wrong, but I wanted to home an older beardie who might have trouble finding a one. I'm just hoping that I can take care of my grumpy old man better with a little help.
Thanks y'all!

Mockler

Original Poster
I found arcadia for a bit cheaper on eBay. Is that trust worthy? And if any one in houston or heck, even texas knows any one that sells these to cut down on cost, that would be helpful.

I have dubia roaches on the way cause I haven't seen them sold in store, but crickets are currently being greedily devoured in the meantime. I do have a high cal cricket diet for gut loading, in case I worried any one.

Oh an I did drop the temps to like 101.

I got a 403 so replying has taken forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom