Is my beardie still sick or preparing to brumate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I love this website it has been so helpful since my boyfriend and I got our Bearded Dragon, Neko this past March. Thank you to every one who shares there Beardie wisdom! Usually I just read posts on the topic I want to learn about but for this situation I decided to register as a member and create my own post.

So Neko is about 7 months old and a Female (the vet thinks), and a couple of months ago she went through a very stressful time where we actually moved apartments twice in one month. Neko started having diarrhea that got worse over time and smelled absolutely FOUL. She started to get lethargic and eat less which really worried us so we brought her to the vet. Our vet said that she was in great health besides the diarrhea. We got a fecal sample tested and of course it comes back with a diagnosis of Coccidia.

So the vet gave us Baycox to give to Neko, .01 cc once a day for 4 days, wait for two weeks and then same thing, .01cc once a day for 4 days. The vet did not inform me that this treatment would be harsh on Neko. After doing some research it seems that she may have prescribed a higher dosage than should have been needed and I found out that the Baycox kills the good bacteria as well as the coccidia parasites and that I should have been giving Neko probiotics to help her appetite recovery. It wasn't until 2 or 3 weeks after worrying like crazy about her, because she wasn't eating and was more lethargic than before, that I did my own research, ordered probiotics and started giving them to her. Neko started looking better, eating more, running around the cage more for a couple of weeks.

Now its been about a month and a half since the last Baycox treatment and she has stopped eating again. She is lethargic again and this time she is not even basking anymore. She spends more and more time in the corner of the cage in the shade where it's darker. So I started researching again and read about brumation. It seems like these could be signs that she is preparing to brumate. Although she is not even a year old we got her back in March so she was probably born in February or even January. I read that sometimes brumation instincts can kick in before a year old if the beardie was born early in the year. We also set the timer for her light to turn off 2 hours earlier because it is now Autumn, I don't know if that affected her. Her diarrhea has gotten much, much better. It is still watery and a little stinky but much, MUCH better.

I'm just really worried about her and wanted to put the situation out there to see if anyone has a more informed opinion on whether Neko is most likely still sick or if she could just be preparing to brumate and I should get her a nice little hide to sleep in and leave her alone.

Thank you!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like you did a good job getting her back to reasonable health, hopefully she's not infected again. Baycox [ AKA toltrazuril ] was a good choice , far less harsh than the sulfa drug like albon. Is she a big girl ? Some will go in to a semi brumation before a year old and that's fine if they're big + healthy. Can you post pics of her + her set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

NekoTheDragon

Original Poster
94714-2191969608.jpg
94714-8422204218.jpg
94714-8766483538.jpg
We have good lighting equipment and keep the cage 95 degrees-110 on hot side 80-85 cool side. We feed her pheonix worms, roaches, meal worms and greens. She hasn't eaten almost anything. Very lethargic but wide awake. It looks like she may be losing weight too

Hey! Looks like she is brumating! My baby boy, mars, he is currently 325 grams and ten months, and was recently having diarrhea, so we also took a trip to the vet, and were prescribed a similar medication, is poop was so nasty :puke: . He has normal poops again, but was also still sleeping a lot. I have a recommendation, that worked for me. If she/he has a hide, take it out and replace with a climbing log, something she can’t get under. The goal is to get her active. Maybe bump up here temps the slightest bit. What do you feed? I would recommend crickets, Phoenix worms, Dubai’s, etc. get her out more, take her outside, get her up and moving. The reason I recommend this isn’t because of her symptoms, I don’t think she’s quite brumating, but, just being Lazy. If she’s continues in this manner after try what I said, giving her more things to climb in, hanging out with her. Ire, etc, take her to the vet and check for, if she low on calcium or vitamins. Try feeding more collards. Wish you best of luck with your baby! Remember, she may prove me wrong and brumate, if so, just leave her alone, and get her to poop in the bath, and empty out before she goes to sleep for awhile.

Mar’s owner, a hopefully helpful owner-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom