beardie diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogathedragon

Hatchling Member
my beardie is about ten months, and has had diarrhea the past two poops he has had. His temps are right and he has a heat and uv bulb. He has been acting normal, but his poos have been mush. The first time, it was just kinda chunky pudding, but today he had another that was a lot of liquids. He has still been alert and active, his normal self. He has been eating a lot of the softer worms, like hornworms, and waxworms, but also so supers. I would like to know if you think that he just has something in his system his body just doesnt agree with, or if we should take him to a vet. Thank you!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Well it could be influenced by the soft worms, but superworms should make up for it. Have you seen any blood in it? How often/much does she eat greens? How often does she usually have a bowel movement, has the frequency gone up?

If it's been just the last 2 bowel movements, meaning both yesterday or one the last 2 days, I wouldn't worry yet, as you said it could just be the change in diet or the softer worms. However, that will pass by her next poop if it's the cause. Her next poop should be more normal, then the next pretty much normal if it's caused by her food change. I'd say if her bowel movements don't normalize by tomorrow, or if you notice any additional issues like lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, etc. then you need to get a fresh fecal sample to an experienced reptile vet ASAP because it's most likely a high coccidia count, worms, or a bacterial infection in her gastrointestinal tract, and she needs a proper fecal test and diagnosis, proper antiparasitic or antiprotozoan medication, probiotics during and for a few days after the meds, and her enclosure and everything is it completely disinfected with either F10SC or bleach so she doesn't keep reinfecting. Keep her separate from any other reptiles and wash your hands with antibacterial soap both before and after touching her or her enclosure, or the feeder insects.

Bogathedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EllenD":ugap7u6k said:
Well it could be influenced by the soft worms, but superworms should make up for it. Have you seen any blood in it? How often/much does she eat greens? How often does she usually have a bowel movement, has the frequency gone up?

If it's been just the last 2 bowel movements, meaning both yesterday or one the last 2 days, I wouldn't worry yet, as you said it could just be the change in diet or the softer worms. However, that will pass by her next poop if it's the cause. Her next poop should be more normal, then the next pretty much normal if it's caused by her food change. I'd say if her bowel movements don't normalize by tomorrow, or if you notice any additional issues like lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, etc. then you need to get a fresh fecal sample to an experienced reptile vet ASAP because it's most likely a high coccidia count, worms, or a bacterial infection in her gastrointestinal tract, and she needs a proper fecal test and diagnosis, proper antiparasitic or antiprotozoan medication, probiotics during and for a few days after the meds, and her enclosure and everything is it completely disinfected with either F10SC or bleach so she doesn't keep reinfecting. Keep her separate from any other reptiles and wash your hands with antibacterial soap both before and after touching her or her enclosure, or the feeder insects.
thank you. he doesnt poop everyday, so should i just go with what his next movement is?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, absolutely. If his next bowel movement isn't normal I'd make an appointment with an experienced reptile vet ASAP and take a fresh poop in to have a fecal done.

Bogathedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EllenD":1yl2eyyf said:
Yes, absolutely. If his next bowel movement isn't normal I'd make an appointment with an experienced reptile vet ASAP and take a fresh poop in to have a fecal done.
thank you so much! I will look out for the next poo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom