Arched back

Status
Not open for further replies.
93876-2032409991.jpg
My beardie has been acting strange recently.yes I know he looks very bad He's a rescue and is in alot better health than we got him but recently when I've been opening the vivarium and going to touch him he arches his back pictures below. What would cause him to do this? also any tips on getting him to eat he refuses everything lately.
93876-4959873953.jpg

Katielizzy

Original Poster
Terry15":2wk9itno said:
Poor baby, time for the vet.
He goes to vet every 3 weeks because he's in such critical condition but this has only happened the past day he's back for his next vet appointment in 2 days

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, poor guy is pretty critical. What exactly has the vet done and what is he eating ? How do you hydrate him and is he pooing ? They will sometimes arch the back when they are very weak + trying to poo.Be prepared for the worst because he may not make it.

If you haven't already, drip some water on his snout to see if he'll drink and do that 3-4X a day. He looks extremely dehydrated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks very critical, definitely.
Are you using a UVB light for him? He has metabolic bone disease & needs a liquid calcium & a
good UVB light source, also.
If he isn't eating, you will need to get chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with squash or sweet
potato baby food to give to him by dropping it on the end of his nose. You can use a plastic dropper or syringe to feed him.
Has the vet suggested anything else?

Tracie

Katielizzy

Original Poster
AHBD":30tfodd2 said:
Hi there, poor guy is pretty critical. What exactly has the vet done and what is he eating ? How do you hydrate him and is he pooing ? They will sometimes arch the back when they are very weak + trying to poo.Be prepared for the worst because he may not make it.

If you haven't already, drip some water on his snout to see if he'll drink and do that 3-4X a day. He looks extremely dehydrated.

The vet gives him calcium and vitamin injections and give us liquid foods and repta boost I give him his water by dropping it on his snout and he drinks it by himself he gets alot of water a day. He hasn't pooped in 3 weeks and the vet has told us he may not make it.

Katielizzy

Original Poster
Drache613":hsfekyu5 said:
Hello,

He looks very critical, definitely.
Are you using a UVB light for him? He has metabolic bone disease & needs a liquid calcium & a
good UVB light source, also.
If he isn't eating, you will need to get chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with squash or sweet
potato baby food to give to him by dropping it on the end of his nose. You can use a plastic dropper or syringe to feed him.
Has the vet suggested anything else?

Tracie

Yes I have uvb he's bad mbd to the point his jaw is too rubbery to eat. He didn't have any uvb with his last owner we have tried the baby food and he's refusing to eat it. I do also use a dropper but he runs away from all the food. And just to try to get him to eat. And to put him in repta boost twice a day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, I am so sorry his jaw is too weak to chew anything at all.
I don't know if his jaw will get stronger, but definitely keep on trying! He looks like he has such
a warm spirit. If he has a reason to stay around, then he will want fight hard to get better. He
has a great home now! :D
We are all pulling for him.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Good for you rescuing him and caring for him. He is in really bad shape and has had a really horrible life before you came into his life.

Have you tried using a feeding needle and syringe , to get food directly into his stomache ?
ie viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687
since he cant chew this or putting a feeding tube into him are likely the best / only options and at least this way there is no chance of him aspirating his liquid food and it's only a matter of getting the end of the special feeding down his throat to his stomache and depositing the food there , likely less stress all round, and less risk of damaging his already fragile jaw.

I knew a guy in Victoria who rescued a wild beardie who had been savaged by a dog and literally had it's lower jaw ripped off.
After months of intensive care he got his mojo back and was even getting excited about his pet female beardie and head banging and wanting to get at her.
So they are capable of bouncing back , provided gets plenty of nourishing food , dietary calcium and UVB, and time .

He needs vet grade liquid calcium daily as well as daily feeding using a feeding needle and syringe IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom