Bearded Dragon Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehagan17

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum but it has helped me in the past with general questions so I figured it couldn't hurt to put my question out there

Basically I have a female bearded dragon who Is 16 inches now. She has been doing wonderful until a patch of stress caused by me trying to take her outside. Long story short her coccidia levels were overly high which was causing her poop to be not formed at all and completely liquid. She has been to the vet once and had a fecal test done twice. The first time the fecal came back positive for coccidia. The second time was after being on a medication for the coccidia and it was negative yay!!! So I thought everything was going to get better but it's been over a week and the poop has not been formed at all even though she Is supposedly coccidia free. I'm trying to avoid going back to the vet if there is no cause for concern, I heard that getting a probiotic could help as well. What should I do?? I'm open to any and all harmless options.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would give her system some time to settle down after the meds. It's great that the test returned negative. I would be sure to clean everything with a steam cleaner or ammonia/water mixture if you haven't already done so in order to help reduce the risk of re-infection.

Probiotics can help, but getting her back into a steady, healthy diet can do the trick after a bit too. What does she generally get to eat?

If you decide to offer a probiotic, stick with some non dairy yogurt or try some of this http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Acidophiliz

ehagan17

Original Poster
CooperDragon":i31wat1v said:
I would give her system some time to settle down after the meds. It's great that the test returned negative. I would be sure to clean everything with a steam cleaner or ammonia/water mixture if you haven't already done so in order to help reduce the risk of re-infection.

Probiotics can help, but getting her back into a steady, healthy diet can do the trick after a bit too. What does she generally get to eat?

If you decide to offer a probiotic, stick with some non dairy yogurt or try some of this http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Acidophiliz

Thank you so much, it has been over 2 weeks since the end of the medication and I have not noticed any improvement it almost seems even more runny than what it was before. I am also noticing her urates now have some pink in them could this be blood from parasites??
She eats crickets in the morning and butternut squash and collard greens in the evening time before 7. Her lights cut off at 9:30. I have done the dubia roaches raising her when she was a baby but couldn't keep ordering online and waiting for the shipment not knowing how long it was going to take. When she tested negative for parasites the vet seemed confused as to why her poop was not forming up at all. I just want her to feel better and be able to put my tile back in because right now she's on paper towel because she makes such a mess.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes the urate has pink in it. I don't think it's blood. Sometimes they can be tinted brown or orange as well. It's often diet or supplement related. Are the poops now just messy or is there a lot of water along with it? If it's messy and comes with a large puddle there could be too much water in her diet. It could also indicate a problem with kidneys or there could be a flagellate infection which would only show with a very fresh sample under a microscope (She'd have to poop at the vet).

ehagan17

Original Poster
CooperDragon":gu2fk24t said:
Sometimes the urate has pink in it. I don't think it's blood. Sometimes they can be tinted brown or orange as well. It's often diet or supplement related. Are the poops now just messy or is there a lot of water along with it? If it's messy and comes with a large puddle there could be too much water in her diet. It could also indicate a problem with kidneys or there could be a flagellate infection which would only show with a very fresh sample under a microscope (She'd have to poop at the vet).

You pretty much just described it on the dot. Runny poop with lots of liquid. I can't imagine it being from feeding or nutrition she gets calcium 6 days a week and vitamin 3 times a week.She eats butternut squash and collards but even when she doesn't have the veggies she has the liquid in her poop. She acts like she feels great still has a huge appetite, NOT lethargic, and no stress marks either. The only place she gets her water is from the vegetables. She will not drink from a bowl or a bath.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My dragon has messy poops with tons of water too. Haven't been able to get to the bottom of it yet, unfortunately. He is active and otherwise healthy so I feed him lots of squash and fresh greens and make sure his bugs are well fed. I also offer some extra water from drops on his nose which he takes sometimes and ignores others. I figure if his diet is water rich, it won't be as dehydrating for him to pass a bunch of water through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom