Lathargic after first bath

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just purchased a 3 month old male beardy this past weekend. He has been eating very well and pooping regularly. I gave him a bath for the first time tonight and now he is very lathargic. He kept closing his eyes and laying completely still when I was drying him off in his towel. I put him back in his tank and he hasn't moved but is breathing normally and his eyes are open. He is usually gray but looks almost green now. Is this normal? Am I freaking out over nothing? I can't find any info on this and have been searching everywhere. I need help from the experts!! Thanks!

Savora

Hatchling Member
Hi! Congrats on your new beardie!

I wouldn't worry about anything unless this behavior persists for a whole day. The water might've dropped his internal temperature (as baths usually do) lower than he's comfortable with. Beardies are known to change colors depending on whether or not they're trying to soak up more light/heat. A nice long bask might put him back into shape again.

Keep us updated with him!

Charliethegraydragon

Original Poster
Thanks for your response! My family thinks that I am crazy and overreacting but I just want to make sure the little guy is ok. He seems to be getting back to his regular gray color now. I will definitely keep you posted :).

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I'm not sure if you're still having issues, but I wouldn't worry about it!
When I give mine baths, they get really relaxed and will often sit in the towels I dry them off in for a little while. I then put them back in their vivs on their basking spots so they warm up quicker. Getting baths does bring down their body temp (think about how when you get out of the shower air feels cooler on your skin - well that happens to them too!) which makes them more lethargic. As far as coloring goes, beardies come in all sorts of colors, combinations, and personalities. They can also change color depending on temp and mood.

Charliethegraydragon

Original Poster
Thanks to your response! Charlie is back to normal, I think I overreacted a little bit ?. This board is WONDERFUL and I appreciate people getting back to me so quickly. I am sure I will be posting again soon?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom