Gravid!! What do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

audreyjb

Hi! Khaleesi is now gravid with infertile eggs!!! I have increased her calcium, but she's going crazy and i believe she's ready to lay. tomorrow i'm getting her lay bin all set up. but how long do i leave her in there? how do i feed her. i know everything i need to do except how exactly do i go about keeping her in the lay bin. anyone who ha gone through this, please let me know what worked for you. also, once i put her in the lay bin, how long until she's acting herself again? and what else can i do for her right now?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I've had quite a few gravid girls, they're all a little different but once you set up the laybox just pile some sand/soil up high on one side and start a tunnel for her by hand. I usually leave them in unless they just really only try to get out. Generally that means they're not quite ready. You can put her in 1-3 X a day, but once she starts digging you'll know the time is close.

audreyjb

Original Poster
AHBD":1xwpi9xg said:
Hi there, I've had quite a few gravid girls, they're all a little different but once you set up the laybox just pile some sand/soil up high on one side and start a tunnel for her by hand. I usually leave them in unless they just really only try to get out. Generally that means they're not quite ready. You can put her in 1-3 X a day, but once she starts digging you'll know the time is close.

ok. so put her in for a bit and if she doesn't do anythibg take her out and try again. once she does start digging how long will it take until she's laid her eggs and is ready to go?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes they will dig for a while + then try to get out again. You can then take her out + offer some water. After an hour or so put her back. Generally once they are really in a pretty good sized hole they are getting down to business. When they have it dug the way they want, they turn around with head facing out + start laying. They are very calm and you'll see them make an undulating or serpentine motion every few minutes until they're done laying. Then they come out + start burying the eggs. Once she's done you can put her in a warm bath , she may have a drink [ usually are thirsty, they lose a bit of water during laying ] then pat her dry + put her back in the heat of the tank.

Sometimes they'll still scratch a bit, the instinct to make sue they've covered everything is strong, even when moved back to the tank away from the eggs.

audreyjb

Original Poster
AHBD":1b1j369g said:
Sometimes they will dig for a while + then try to get out again. You can then take her out + offer some water. After an hour or so put her back. Generally once they are really in a pretty good sized hole they are getting down to business. When they have it dug the way they want, they turn around with head facing out + start laying. They are very calm and you'll see them make an undulating or serpentine motion every few minutes until they're done laying. Then they come out + start burying the eggs. Once she's done you can put her in a warm bath , she may have a drink [ usually are thirsty, they lose a bit of water during laying ] then pat her dry + put her back in the heat of the tank.

Sometimes they'll still scratch a bit, the instinct to make sue they've covered everything is strong, even when moved back to the tank away from the eggs.
thanks! this helps a lot. if i have somewhere to be is it ok if i put her in her tank until i get back? i'm scared of her wanting out and me not being there to take her out

ulintze29

Like AHBD mentioned, it may take a few times. One of my gravid females dug around her laybox for almost a day off and on before laying eggs. I would let her dig as long as she wanted, but would bring her out when she stopped. I just make sure they have some heat coming from above in case they are in there for a while.

audreyjb

Original Poster
ulintze29":3tczo64l said:
Like AHBD mentioned, it may take a few times. One of my gravid females dug around her laybox for almost a day off and on before laying eggs. I would let her dig as long as she wanted, but would bring her out when she stopped. I just make sure they have some heat coming from above in case they are in there for a while.
ok!! I can have her in there from 3:30pm-7:05 a.m. on and off if she's digging.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes they can be in there for hours but I never left any of them overnight. It might be O.k but I never did.

audreyjb

Original Poster
AHBD":2htneb5l said:
Yes they can be in there for hours but I never left any of them overnight. It might be O.k but I never did.
i won't take her out for bed if she is digging, but if she doesn't stop i will let her keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom