Eye Question [w/ pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardTreves

I'm a little concerned about my new juvenile beardies eye. He was the largest at the store, and was very alert/active. I sort of fell for him, even after noticing his eye was, what I first thought, missing. The store associate said that he had been closing it often (As had another?) but didn't have any discharge/seeming irritation. I'm rather new to bearded dragons, but I know that clear eyes are something you should look for when picking out a baby; I ignored my gut and took him home.

Tank set up:
75Gal long-tank, mesh screen lid.
Basking bulb: Zoo Med, Repti Basking Spot Lamp; 150w ((Two Months old))
UVB bulb: Zoo Med 26062 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 39W Fluorescent Lamp, 34" (( Brand New))
Both bulbs hang beneath the mesh lid, and are pictured below in full tank set up.
Repti-carpet
driftwood climbs, natural rocks. Zoo med water bowl, and silver food dish.
Temps: Waiting on reader
Please, Pardon the dirty glass;
atSDyD8.jpg

Beardie's Good Eye:
d7omrTm.jpg

Beardie's 'bad' Eye:
closed:
V1ZgVe5.jpg

open:
6XJghPi.jpg

Top-view:
jaB9ohx.jpg

Today, I took him out for a few moments of sunshine; which he seems to greatly enjoy. To limit stress, his outing is only a few moments but he perks right up and climbs up to my shoulder-- is very alert and attentive. I also gave him ~10 minute soak in warm water, which he surprisingly didn't fuss at all for. Upon putting him back in the tank he went to the basking spot. He is very alert, and watches everything going on outside his tank; very good eater though today he doesn't seem as hungry.

I've read that eye drops may help; would they help in this situation? What type is needed?

Are there any issues with tank set up that need to be addressed?

Thanks for reading!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
His eyes both look completely normal to me, maybe the left one is a bit watery, and I guess he's keeping it closed a bit, so my guess would be that it got scratched by a tank-mate's toenail at the pet shop, happens all the time. My now 10 month old girl Izzy came from Petco with a visible scratch on her eye that was done by one of her 10 other tank mates, and I took her anyway because she was the largest, most active, and jumped to me from the enclosure. So there ya go, lol. But seriously, the eye itself looks fine, like I said, it probably was scratched and is irritating him, but it looks like it's going to be fine. You can buy saline-only eyewash or eyewash Eyedrops that have saline only in them and put 2 drops in the eye twice a day, and make sure you have no loose substrates like sand in the tank to irritate it further, but it should be fine within the next week or so.

LizardTreves

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the responses; now that he's been home for a few days he's opening the 'bad' eye more (Not all the time, but, it's an improvement). I did eye drops once, as well as a bath-- perhaps that helped, or perhaps it was just my imagination / Newbie paranoia! He's still eating like a champ as well , so I'm not too worried about it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom