Dual Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to know if its normal to have dual shedding at the same time? Normally what i have seen since i had my beardie he usually sheds a body part a time, hands/feets then tail, head, body etc. Just was wondering if its normal to have both shedding at a time?
Thanks!

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah looking back at my photo dates he started to get the white color on his tail September 1st. Then a couple days ago his head ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great sign of growth then, so that is wonderful!
They will oftentimes shed at various areas of the body simultaneously. Then, possibly do a full
body shed back to back sometimes, too. :D

Tracie

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you Tracie and LewisBD! I cant believe how fast he is growing since i have had him (since end of may/early june- measuring at 6 inches) now he is 16 inches long :shock: , with all your guys help and the correct information he is growing healthy thank you soooooo much :D

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Also wanted to know humidity in terrarium is around 30%, is that too low since he is in shedding phases, maybe that's why its taking a bit longer to shed?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He is finally beginning to shed on his tail. I gave him multiple baths i sprayed some of the "Zoo Med Repti Shedding Aid" worked really well. It is great for stubborn sheds! :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Unlike skinks who tend to shed all in one hit, dragons , especially as they reach adulthood shed more sporadically and much more piecemeal, quite common for the lips and face to shed, with the flanks of their bellies, then a foot or a hand or one of each and the limb, then the back and tail.
When they are fully grown adults it's more likely they'll shed a scale here and there , and go maybe a year between major sheds.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Reptilelady":2em34pj8 said:
Also wanted to know humidity in terrarium is around 30%, is that too low since he is in shedding phases, maybe that's why its taking a bit longer to shed?

That's fine .... most of us wish we could get RH consistently as low .... Unlike some skinks (who need very high humidity to shed properly) this will not effect the shedding of your beardie.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Reptilelady":26vkzyqc said:
He is finally beginning to shed on his tail. I gave him multiple baths i sprayed some of the "Zoo Med Repti Shedding Aid" worked really well. It is great for stubborn sheds! :D

Handy to have something like that on standby, I have HerpaShed but rarely find the need to use it. I have bluetongues and beardies currently , had a water skink (Wriggles and before her I had Lucky) but neither ever needed shedding assistance - they'd splash and dip and dive like little crocodiles in their water dishes / ponds and I''d find wet strands of shed all over the place and in the water.

Wriggles had Rex and Puff bluffed , they were both scared of her (despite her being only 30g and their being 650g) and she thought a beardie made perfect scratching spot when she was shedding.
Rex and Puff were tiny compared to her when brought them home and she soon let them know she was their boss , didn't matter that they grew very much larger than she was , they still thought she was the big lizard and their boss.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Izzy is now 10 months old and still growing (mostly outward, in her belly, lol), and she's been shedding in patches lately too. A leg here, a face there, right now it's her back right leg, her tail, and her jaw and snout, lol. I'd have thought she'd be shedding her belly, lol, as she's 19" long and has been for a month or so, but her belly is just growing more and more outward every day... Little Dee Dee, who is now going on 5 months, has the same problem, belly growth! He's a Leatherback and I don't see him shed nearly as much as Izzy does...

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed -- there's no such thing as "normal" when it comes to beardies shedding -- anything goes. When we first got our beardie, our reptile vet was very careful to warn us that they're "not like snakes" when it comes to shedding.

About the only thing you need to be concerned about is that retained shed all the way around their tail or a toe doesn't get hard and dry and cut off their circulation, but as long as you keep it moist (warm soaks help, especially if the beardie doesn't mind a bath), you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't tried the shedding spray. So far, warm water has been good enough.

That's hilarious that Wriggles used the beardies to scratch on when she was shedding. :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SHBailey":aycog3p2 said:
Agreed -- there's no such thing as "normal" when it comes to beardies shedding -- anything goes. When we first got our beardie, our reptile vet was very careful to warn us that they're "not like snakes" when it comes to shedding.

About the only thing you need to be concerned about is that retained shed all the way around their tail or a toe doesn't get hard and dry and cut off their circulation, but as long as you keep it moist (warm soaks help, especially if the beardie doesn't mind a bath), you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't tried the shedding spray. So far, warm water has been good enough.

That's hilarious that Wriggles used the beardies to scratch on when she was shedding. :lol:
rex_and_wriggles_21sep2015.png

Wriggles showing she's boss lizard , Rex think "oh the indignity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom