Spot on his head

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
What is this spot on his head? I posted here before but I feel like it's getting bigger and more prominent when he is basking or under the sun. Been several months, he already shed but the spot stayed.
83478-6847419208.jpg
83478-7170821046.jpg
83478-4526411644.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The black spot above his right eye ? Could be from him trying to wedge under a very tight spot. Have you tried any ointment on it ? Best thing to use is raw unpasteurized honey from a health store or beekeeper. [ It's a natural antimicrobial ] Every wound I've ever used it on for my beardies healed right up. It's safe for directly in the eye too so you do't have to worry if it gets in his eye.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
What I don't understand is why it only gets darker when under the light, sometimes it's almost not visible when he's just running around...and it's been several months even with shed...I'm not sure it's wound because of the way come and goes

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If a black spot has been there that long, has gotten larger, and has not gone away with a shed, then I'd be taking him to an experienced reptile vet for a simple, inexpensive skin scraping test, as bearded dragons do get skin cancer, and a black spot that has been present for months and months, through a shed, and that has grown sounds suspect. I don't think it's anything that an antibiotic ointment or raw honey is going to help at this point, if it was it would not have been present for months and months, nor would it grow larger, even through a shed. That's an indication that it's not just a superficial wound, but rather some kind of growth. It may be benign and harmless, but it may also be malignant and need to be removed. If that's the case, the longer you wait the more complicated it's going to be to treat, and since it's already been present for quite a while I wouldn't wait any longer. Just like we get dark pigmentations when out in the sun, or moles/birthmarks we have change and get larger when in the sun, which can be dangerous, so can reptiles. A simple Skin-Scraping test will tell you if it's something serious or nothing to worry about, is non-invasive, and shouldn't cost much at all to have done, so I'd suggest calling your closest experienced reptile vet and telling them you need to make an appointment to have your beardie have a Skin-Scraping test done. Even an "exotics" vet can do a Skin-Scraping and send it out for testing. If they look at it and tell you to "wait and see", be sure to tell them it's already been there for months and months, has lasted through a shed, and that you insist upon having the skin scraping test done immediately. Then if it comes back as being something serious, you'll definitely need to find a certified reptile vet to determine a treatment course.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
That is aweful I don't know how I'll survive if he has cancer and I lose him

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
83478-1121707959.jpg
I feel like it's definitely getting bigger. Vet apt on 9/30. But I'm really worried, does it really look like cancer??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know you must be very anxious, try not to think the worst. There's a chance it could be cancer but just as much [ or more ] that it's not.

Have you ruled out his rubbing it under something once in a while, like trying to wedge under a rock or some cage decor or anything ?

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
Would it harm him if she were to put unpasteurized honey on it in the meantime while waiting for a vet appointment?
I'm just asking because if she's able to rub honey on it, and it doesn't work then she can at least tell the vet that it's not working and rule out some issues. If it does work, then yay! I'd just be concerned if there's a risk of the honey aggravating a spot if it is actually cancerous.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just to be clear, it's not that honey can heal cancer but it can heal wounds. So it doesn't hurt to put it on just in case it's some small wound that's not healing, and really hoping it's not cancer.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Started putting it on. When he is not basking the spot gets smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom