Can dragons catch human sickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I'm posting today is because we are going to pick up our new dragon this Sunday. It's been planned out for awhile now, but just a few days ago my daughter came down with impetigo. She has been on antibiotics for over 2 days now and the scabs are slowly healing (no more oozing). I'm just wondering if she should refrain from touching the dragon until completely healed. I did a search last night about this, but some didn't say in regards to impetigo specifically.

Pic for attention (still deciding on names)
full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, they can't. But be careful not to let her handle the lizard until all her sores are healed so she doesn't introduce any new bacteria to her sores which may cause a different reaction for your daughter

Beautiful dragon BTW ! .

bluedragonark

Original Poster
AHBD":vsd8poy3 said:
No, they can't. But be careful not to let her handle the lizard until all her sores are healed so she doesn't introduce any new bacteria to her sores which may cause a different reaction for your daughter

Beautiful dragon BTW ! .

Thank you so much for the reply. Hopefully by Sunday she will be better, and even then I'll only let her pet him on the head and wash really good after.

And thanks :) Still trying to find out what color morph he is, but he's def a leather back for sure. I love the little blue colors he has in him as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post some pics of his body ? The bars are sometiems in the hypo line [ hypomelanistic, they have clear nails with no grey line through them ] or from tiger lines like citrus or firetiger. Tammy Aldrich from draggintails bearded dragons is the most well known producer of the tiger morphs. I've had tigers for about 20 years or so too.

bluedragonark

Original Poster
AHBD":232rxj7y said:
Can you post some pics of his body ? The bars are sometiems in the hypo line [ hypomelanistic, they have clear nails with no grey line through them ] or from tiger lines like citrus or firetiger. Tammy Aldrich from draggintails bearded dragons is the most well known producer of the tiger morphs. I've had tigers for about 20 years or so too.

This is the only other pic I have, but it shows his back really well.

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He probably has tiger in his lineage. :) He is a bit thin so make sure to feed him twice a day, but not late in the day. Do you mind if I ask where you got him ?

bluedragonark

Original Poster
AHBD":1xlyog6t said:
He probably has tiger in his lineage. :) He is a bit thin so make sure to feed him twice a day, but not late in the day. Do you mind if I ask where you got him ?

I found him on craigslist and will be picking him up this Sunday. He comes with a 75 gal tank and lights, but I plan on replacing the UV light right away so I can keep track on that as well as posting pics once I get the setup complete. I'm so excited and can't wait! 1 more day to go :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes it's very exciting, huh ? He's a nice size too, not a tiny baby that is more delicate. :)

bluedragonark

Original Poster
AHBD":2kumj2lo said:
Yes it's very exciting, huh ? He's a nice size too, not a tiny baby that is more delicate. :)

Thank you very much for all the helpful info. I will start a thread and post updates on his story. The previous owner said his name was Spitfire. I may decide to keep that name, but we will see :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very first jobs.

1) I'd say the day you pick up the dragon and it's viv, replace the substrate and replace the uv globe or uv tube ( they are likely inadequate / dodgey / too old or all these). See my cheatsheet for hints : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050
Very least a 26W UVB200 , ensure it's not obstructed by a mesh screen , in a reflector (dome or hood) and no more than 8 inched from the beardie's basking spot. A T8 10% - 12% UVB is better , needs to be mounted under the lid in a reflector hood, Even better is a T5HO 10 - 12% UVB is super , again in a reflector hood and best under lid.
Note in my Cheatsheet the dodgey brands to avoid.

2) fridge style digital thermometer like this :
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile/152552282270?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3Db2eb761dc4be4193a60311fb6239b157%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D331726814386&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850 , much better that stick on analog bar and dial style thermometers , and cheaper.

3) Do not believe anything the seller tells you about it's health status, find a local reptile / herp vet and have the vet do a wellness assessment and take bloods , fecals, and an x-ray.

bluedragonark

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":l1cuipok said:
Very first jobs.

1) I'd say the day you pick up the dragon and it's viv, replace the substrate and replace the uv globe or uv tube ( they are likely inadequate / dodgey / too old or all these). See my cheatsheet for hints : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050
Very least a 26W UVB200 , ensure it's not obstructed by a mesh screen , in a reflector (dome or hood) and no more than 8 inched from the beardie's basking spot. A T8 10% - 12% UVB is better , needs to be mounted under the lid in a reflector hood, Even better is a T5HO 10 - 12% UVB is super , again in a reflector hood and best under lid.
Note in my Cheatsheet the dodgey brands to avoid.

2) fridge style digital thermometer like this :
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile/152552282270?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3Db2eb761dc4be4193a60311fb6239b157%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D331726814386&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850 , much better that stick on analog bar and dial style thermometers , and cheaper.

3) Do not believe anything the seller tells you about it's health status, find a local reptile / herp vet and have the vet do a wellness assessment and take bloods , fecals, and an x-ray.

Thank you very much for the info, I'm going down the list now checking off what we have/need. We just got him home, and did a complete tank wash. I have newspaper down and his new UV lamp and basking lamp up and he's already started eating (despite being out of his tank for a long time, plus the hour drive home) I'll be making a new thread to update on all of our adventures and stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom