Head shakiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone, it's been quite some time since my last post! My 3 year old Malachi is what brings me back. Yesterday I took my dragon out while dropping my nephew off at home. A friend of a friend was so ecstatic seeing my dragon I let her hold him. While she was holding him I noticed my dragons head started to shake like it was shivering. A few things came to mind what it could mean.

1. Possibly impacted? This weekend I allowed my nephew to feed my dragon. My nephew is 9 and very fascinated with bugs and reptiles so cute! I was there to supervise but quite distracted as one of my cats had puked up a hairball for me to gag and clean up and my dragon had a hay day eating superworms! Probably 2-3x more than I would typically give him. The following day I gave him a bath before taking my nephew home and he defecated very little. I seen mostly urates and some fluids come out but very little fecal matter. So for now, I'm holding off any kind of chitinous meals until I see him pass these superworms. The possible connection I made to the head shakiness is maybe the impaction could be putting pressure on the spine? If he is impacted? His basking temperature is elevated due to summer heat and mostly hangs out in the middle-cool side of his tank - sometimes basking under the hot side. There's no doubt in my mind he has enough heat to properly digest his food. I check his thermometer/hygrometer throughout the day and turn his basking light off should it reach too high of ambient temperatures in his home for him to properly thermoregulate his body temperature.

I also have him on organic top soil (all large pieces have been plucked out by hand) and before anyone jumps down me for it lol I would never put any unhealthy animals on loose substrate. My goal was to see how he did with it to consider making him a bioactive setup. His veggies are fed to him on a plate or by hand. His insects come to him in a bowl held up to him for his own leisure. Accidental ingestion is limited aside from "tasting" his environment. I love my animals very much and observe them quite frequently. The most I've seen him ingest is a couple grains at a time that would easily be passed as he has always been healthy! Anything past that I've witnessed him spit out and have wiped his chin for him many times. :p My point being, he does quite well and my gut says it's not the substrate. But I'm not saying it for sure isn't either.

2. A vitamin B deficiency? I know what this looks like because my old dragon of 9 years who passed away from leukemia 3 years ago had similar symptoms in her younger days. I took her to the vet and had blood and fecal tests done to find that she needed more thiamin. This was due to me feeding her frozen vegetables. At the time I was a very nooby dragon keeper and did not know better. After changing her diet she made a full recovery.

I don't feed my current dragon anything frozen. Only fresh veggies, fruits and bugs! He eats probably 4-5x a week. It's quite normal for him to not want to eat a couple days of the week. He's a healthy weight of over 521 grams. His feeding behavior has not changed at all. He eats fine on his own and readily accepts treats by hand. It's hard for me to imagine his diet lacking B vitamins as he gets everything fresh and I supplement his meals with vitamins + calcium 2-3x a week normally to fill in gaps. Here's a list of food he gets.

Every feeding..
-Mustard, turnip, collard greens and dandelion anytime I can (homegrown)

Other greens I feed occasionally if my usual mixed bag is unavail...
-Kale, cactus pads, arugula, spinach, bok choy, basil(homegrown), mint(homegrown), oregano(homegrown)

The rotated stuff in order from most to least...
-Bell peppers, green beans, cantaloupe, honey dew, blueberry, squash, watermelon, strawberry, zucchini, cherries (without the seed), and grapes.

And he gets bugs a couple times a week...
-Superworms, hornworms, Dubia (try to feed sparingly to help my colony grow)

He also gets a new Reptisun T5 10.0 HO bulb every 5-7 months depending on my budget at the time. I have it on top of his tank with a reflector behind the bulb to intensify it through the screen of his 40 gallon tank about a foot away from his basking rock. Towards the end of life of his bulbs I put them inside his tank mounted on the back wall with the reflector still on and that puts it about 8-9 inches away from him on his rock. His current bulb should last until December before reaching the 6 month mark. I feel that he's pretty well taken care of and should be getting all the vitamins and nutrients he needs to be healthy but maybe not! I don't dust his food every feeding. I use Rephashy calcium plus powder an all in one that I've been using for at least a year I wanna say. Before that I was using separate calcium and vitamins.

3. MBD - I just don't think this is the case. But I know it's one of the symptoms. He doesn't look to have it at all and his diet and lighting has always been good swapping between the zoomed T5 10.0HO with arcadia 12% UVB fluorescent lightings every 6 months. I got him from a reputable breeder. He's a partial trans, het hypo, super citrus dragon. His first year growing up I spoiled the crap out of the little guy buying him silkworms, phoenix worms, dubia and goliath worms easily spending over $100-150 a month feeding him and kept him in a sterile environment. I wanted him to have the best upbringing possible for him to grow strong and stable after going through so much losing my old dragon to leukemia. :cry: He's very spoiled. This summer I took him out to get natural sun quite often as well.

Those are the only 3 things I could come up with as to what's going on. I can't afford to take him to the vet for a $200+ dollar checkup&labs as I have my own medical bills I have to pay off right now. After doing some research I decided instead of buying more supplements I would start supplementing him with small smoothies of bee pollen mixed with unsweetened coconut water for the natural electrolytes and hydrating effects and thickening it so less chance of inhaling with rephashy grub pie insectivore gel premix 2x a week for a while to see if this helps soothe any digestive issues, and fill in any nutritional gaps more naturally rather than buying more vitamins. I have ordered a separate calcium powder to start supplementing with instead of the rephashy calcium plus all in one thing. I will be reverting back to a sterile environment again at least until he's 110% better and has a clean bill of health.

-I am curious if it is safe to use both bee pollen and a vitamin supplement together or if it would overdo it?

-Can you over do bee pollen alone? How much can I safely give him?

-Would supplementing with bee pollen be better than vitamin supplements altogether since it's more natural and not synthetic versions of vitamins? Or is bee pollen not balanced for beardies?

-What foods can I feed him that have high thiamin?

-What foods contain high thiaminase that deplete a dragons thiamin stores?

-Would Spirulina be better than bee pollen in this case? How much should I supplement?

-Would it be better to buy a B vitamin supplement alone to treat his symptom with? I know that a lot of vitamins need to work together to reap the benefits so that's why I'm leaning towards bee pollen atm.

-Could something else cause this symptom? It's the only symptom he has.

I'm open to anyone's thoughts on the matter. I want to gather as much information as I possibly can and in the mean time do everything in my power to make sure he's getting the best care I can provide. I appreciate anyone reading this and hope to receive some good input! Thanks guys! :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
We had a similar problem with our old girl Rex for a while

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=222446&hilit=rex+shivering&start=30

and these threads are about dragons with similar problems
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232748&p=1792414&hilit=rex+shivering#p1792414

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=233433&p=1797194&hilit=rex+head+shivers#p1797191

In Rex's case , it down to the UV source being past it's UBD. I'd forgotten when I'd installed the 26W UVB200 she had a the time and it had been in use for about 8-9 months. I replaced her UVB and the problem very soon went away. I don't think this your beardie's issue - unless the T5HO tube is EFFECTIVELY too far from her basking spot for her to get adequate UVA.

I think these shivers can also be due to calcium deficiency. You could help her by getting some good quality vet grade liquid calcium and giving her this orally by syringe each day.

Other potential causes are :

Hypervitaminosis A when they consume artificial vitamin A from reptile supplements. This is why its important to only use multivitamins that contain natural vitamin A.

Hypothiaminosis B1 is a possible cause.
This is when your bearded dragon does not get enough thiamine in their diet and causes muscle twitches and tremors. Unfortunately, these are the same symptoms of a more common issue with bearded dragons called Metabolic Bone Disease, which regularly causes hypothiaminosis to be misdiagnosed as MBD.
Usually hypothiaminosis is caused by not feeding your bearded dragon fresh enough greens and vegetables. Vegetables and greens that have been frozen or stored for extended periods of time lose their vitamin B1.
Source: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-health.php

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your links King! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

However, between my UV light only being ~4 months old, having a reflector and being within a decent range of his basking spot and cool side - I highly doubt it's the problem. But I will be mounting it on the inside of the cage again just in case it is degrading quicker than usual! ;)

I'm 99.9% sure it's not hypervitaminosis A because I am sure to only supply it via food and the form of beta carotene.

I do however suspect my boy being Thiamin deficit as after looking further I can see it being fairly easy for them to lack this vitamin in their diets. When you feed foods with Thiaminase - it depletes their thiamin stores - needing replenishment. That's why I was curious if anyone had a list of foods that have thiaminase and other foods that are good to feed on the regular to help restore thiamin. And was also curious if buying a vitamin B complex would actually work or if other vitamins are needed for their bodies to actually make use of the vitamin B complex? Which leads me to think bee pollen would be the best thing because it's nutritionally complete for humans! I am just unsure how balanced it would be for dragons. But that's how I'm treating any vitamin deficiencies for now. In a very natural-nonconcentrated way to be safe and gentle. :D

I do have a good quality calcium powder on it's way now as well to separate it from the vitamins I supplement with. So I am doing the best I can without a vet's diagnosis. I don't want to do liquid calcium because I feel that it's too easy to overdo it without knowing for sure what the cause is. I don't want to cause more harm than good.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it King! I am still curious for answers for my original post should anyone have any answers for me.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MissCutiePatootie":3m8cpi48 said:
Thanks for your links King! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

However, between my UV light only being ~4 months old, having a reflector and being within a decent range of his basking spot and cool side - I highly doubt it's the problem. But I will be mounting it on the inside of the cage again just in case it is degrading quicker than usual! ;)

I'm 99.9% sure it's not hypervitaminosis A because I am sure to only supply it via food and the form of beta carotene.

I do however suspect my boy being Thiamin deficit as after looking further I can see it being fairly easy for them to lack this vitamin in their diets. When you feed foods with Thiaminase - it depletes their thiamin stores - needing replenishment. That's why I was curious if anyone had a list of foods that have thiaminase and other foods that are good to feed on the regular to help restore thiamin. And was also curious if buying a vitamin B complex would actually work or if other vitamins are needed for their bodies to actually make use of the vitamin B complex? Which leads me to think bee pollen would be the best thing because it's nutritionally complete for humans! I am just unsure how balanced it would be for dragons. But that's how I'm treating any vitamin deficiencies for now. In a very natural-nonconcentrated way to be safe and gentle. :D

I do have a good quality calcium powder on it's way now as well to separate it from the vitamins I supplement with. So I am doing the best I can without a vet's diagnosis. I don't want to do liquid calcium because I feel that it's too easy to overdo it without knowing for sure what the cause is. I don't want to cause more harm than good.
<<< wise to be cautious , I'd never recommend liquid calcium unless the dosing is tightly controlled and calculated for the body weight of the lizard, and then NO CALCIUM dusting is necessary. For me it's one of the other , at least with orally dosed by syringe liquid calcium you know exactly how much being ingested, cf dusting which is very hit and miss and you really don't know how much is calcium is being ingested on the insects.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it King! I am still curious for answers for my original post should anyone have any answers for me.

Maybe this site will help id the greens rich in Thiamin. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/7691/2 , this might be right out there .... and sound strange .... but my lizards all love to lick Vegemite off my fingers, they come a running when I get vegemite sandwiches or vegemite on toast for lunch sometimes.

Here's the nutritional content of Vegemite
vegemite_nutritional_content.png

0.6mg Thiamin/ tsp (6g) serving of Vegemite.

Did a little experimental search : http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-011108000000000000000-w.html
findings
thiamin_rich_foods.png

Looks like Vegemite (yeast extract) is the best source.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks again King! That is very useful for me. How safe is vegemite to give as a regular treat for our lizards? I noticed onion is in it as well and unsure how safe onion is for them. I may have to order some of this off of amazon to give it a try!

I do think I have some spirulina lying around. I think I'll start dusting his veggies with some of that as well.

How long does liquid calcium last? Does it degrade over time or would it be good for many years? I do have some in my fridge but I think it's like 2-3 years old possibly. I just ordered some powdered calcium too so I don't really want to order more. I like the idea of knowing for sure how much he's actually ingesting like you were saying. Would the old liquid calcium I have be safe to give still?

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I actually have spirulina from that vendor. My liquid calcium says it's best used within 12 months on the bottle but I'm more so curious how accurate the shelf life is on liquid form supplements? It doesn't appear to have gone rancid. How defective does it become over time? I'll probably stick to the other stuff I just purchased. It has many different kinds of calcium in it. It's even got serrapeptase in it so that will help even more with absorption. Probably more effective than the aged liquid calcium would be by now lol.

This is the powdered calcium I just purchased.
http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=87

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MissCutiePatootie":32lfqui8 said:
Thanks again King! That is very useful for me. How safe is vegemite to give as a regular treat for our lizards? I noticed onion is in it as well and unsure how safe onion is for them. I may have to order some of this off of amazon to give it a try!

<<< that's news to me , and I've been eating it for 60 years.
INGREDIENTS IN VEGEMITE:
Yeast Extract, Salt, Mineral Salt (508), Malt Extract (From Barley), Natural Colour (150d = Caramel Powder Type IV Plain Food Grade [Double Strength])(Contains Preservative 220 = sulphur dioxide ), Vegetable Extract, Niacin, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Folate.

I do think I have some spirulina lying around. I think I'll start dusting his veggies with some of that as well.

How long does liquid calcium last? Does it degrade over time or would it be good for many years? I do have some in my fridge but I think it's like 2-3 years old possibly. I just ordered some powdered calcium too so I don't really want to order more. I like the idea of knowing for sure how much he's actually ingesting like you were saying. Would the old liquid calcium I have be safe to give still?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MissCutiePatootie":20yvx12c said:
I was going by this if you look at the photos for the ingredients...

https://www.amazon.com/Vegemite-Bcool-burn-00396-220-gram/dp/B004AVEW8G

I grabbed the bottle from the pantry (to make a vegemite sandwich for a snack) and noticed that too , thing is the amount of onion is very small (can't even notice it in the taste or texture).

Not enough to worry about IMO and my lizards love the smell and taste , as do the resident wild skinks. They had it as treats for years. Lots of cats, dogs and mice love it too.

It is an acquired taste , I've been eating since I was too young to remember and love the stuff , the thicker it's spread on toast or bread the better, I even eat it by the spoon straight from the bottle .... yumm !

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Do you know of a supplier that has them in stock? It's been a while since I've looked but most times I check they are out. Silkies are a bit expensive as well but since Malachi's bday is coming up I can make it a special occasion to splurge a little bit. ^.^ I do supplement him with serrapeptase every so often for the benefits too. He glows when I do!

Also I did a bit of reading online about supplements. (Any chemist nerds and proffessionals feel free to explain and/or correct what I am saying.) I'm not 100% sure about liquid calcium but from what I've gathered, minerals (calcium being one) and such never really expire. There are specific supplements and medicines that do expire but that's not to do with my question before about my expired liquid calcium. Most expiration dates are to do with market strategy. To make you feel like you need to use it up within a certain amount of time and buy more. But that's mainly for dry forms of supplements hence why I'm not 100% sure about expired liquid calcium. I can't actually find much on liquid calcium and the little bits I do find are contradictory or vague.

What I did find in regards to liquid supplements is that they are good approximately a year past the expired date and they will slowly weaken with age. Not that they go bad necessarily. Still usable?
On one forum a guy was asking about multiple products expiring or losing potency. (Liquid calcium being one.) - The answer he got was a simple no, none of the products he had should ever expire - followed by - concerns about a different product to which they broke down in more scientific rambles that has nothing to do with the liquid calcium soooo... as far as I can see it should be safe just possibly lose some efficacy over time?

I want to use the liquid calcium as a second source of calcium maybe 1-2 per week until it's gone. I received the awesome calcium mix from beardeddragons.co and have started dusting my bugs with that. Is it safe to use the expired liquid calcium as a secondary supplement if I'm not relying on it solely?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MissCutiePatootie":3hs0ce21 said:
Do you know of a supplier that has them in stock? It's been a while since I've looked but most times I check they are out. Silkies are a bit expensive as well but since Malachi's bday is coming up I can make it a special occasion to splurge a little bit. ^.^ I do supplement him with serrapeptase every so often for the benefits too. He glows when I do!

worth every penny IMO .

If you buy smaller size silkworms they can be 1/4 the price of large silkworms.
I hatch my own ( eggs harvested in October 2016 ). I hatched a batches in June, July , currently growing my August batch , and waiting for my September batch to hatch.
If you buy them as eggs, allow up to 2 - 3 weeks to hatch, then another month to grow big enough to use as feeders.
Each female moth lays 300-400 eggs and the eggs keep nicely in the door of the fridge in glass sample bottles or ziplock bags (I harvest my eggs as is - attached to paper toweling).

Also I did a bit of reading online about supplements. (Any chemist nerds and proffessionals feel free to explain and/or correct what I am saying.) I'm not 100% sure about liquid calcium but from what I've gathered, minerals (calcium being one) and such never really expire. There are specific supplements and medicines that do expire but that's not to do with my question before about my expired liquid calcium. Most expiration dates are to do with market strategy. To make you feel like you need to use it up within a certain amount of time and buy more. But that's mainly for dry forms of supplements hence why I'm not 100% sure about expired liquid calcium. I can't actually find much on liquid calcium and the little bits I do find are contradictory or vague.

I think most have water soluble calcium gluconate = calcium (2R,3S,4R,5R)- 2,3,4,5,6-pentahydroxyhexanoate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_gluconate
the gluconate molecules oxidize and become rancid.

if not it's a calcium chloride solution , this wont go off.

What I did find in regards to liquid supplements is that they are good approximately a year past the expired date and they will slowly weaken with age. Not that they go bad necessarily. Still usable?
On one forum a guy was asking about multiple products expiring or losing potency. (Liquid calcium being one.) - The answer he got was a simple no, none of the products he had should ever expire - followed by - concerns about a different product to which they broke down in more scientific rambles that has nothing to do with the liquid calcium soooo... as far as I can see it should be safe just possibly lose some efficacy over time?

>>> I ditch it if it's not been refrigerated and is more than 6 months past the UBD, my vet explained it has to do the oily stuff used in most vet grade liquid calciums going rancid.
I always have some Calcivet in the fridge .

The powdered calcium never degrades other than absorbing moisture and clumping, I don't use the vitD3 fortified calcium dust, I know the synthetic vitD3 degrades (oxidizes).

I want to use the liquid calcium as a second source of calcium maybe 1-2 per week until it's gone. I received the awesome calcium mix from beardeddragons.co and have started dusting my bugs with that. Is it safe to use the expired liquid calcium as a secondary supplement if I'm not relying on it solely?

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I believe it's liquid calcium glubionate. Does that make any difference?

Also if it goes rancid, would that make it smell? I've tried smelling it and there's no smell.

I can see the calcium separate from whatever solution is in it but that's probably normal for liquid forms I'd imagine? It's the only liquid calcium I've ever used before.

*Almost forgot to mention that it has always been refrigerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom