loosing battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsubaby

Hello I live in canada and its going to drop in tempature. Which it has and I noticed that he got discolored scales etc. So I changed it to a 100w red zoom bulb (nocturnal infrared heat lamp) was reccommended to me by the person at a exotic pet store his skin went back to normal but now he is having a slight black beard. But not like 100% black beard. its like just by his neck and spotty. I switch to the old bulb he goes back with black skin but acts calmer. Any suggestions?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Red lights aren't really suggested. You can think about if you use red bulbs yourself if you would like it or not. A nice bright white light, like a flood light would be much better. Are you using a digital thermometer with probe or infrared gun type to take temps? His basking spot should be around 100F degrees.

Tsubaby

Original Poster
I have the same light 150w but doesnt at all pump out enough heat that he needs to bask or just to stay warm. I noticed imidiatly that the red light gave more heat the moment it warmed up. He was more active not dosile his skin went back to normal or how it looked when I got him. He only had those small black spots on his beard. I dont mind red lights in all honesty. He has one side red for basking the other side is lit with white fluorescent light.
This image was taken yesterday before I got a better heat lamp.
untitled_by_tsubaby-dblnzq5.jpg

he had such dark skin. I read online that he is to cold or something along those lines so I went to talk to the girl who has helped me out so much with him. Said that the red light is better suited as its mimics the dessert heat. At the moment he seems fine. Maybe just needs to get use to it? I read that red lights emmit more heat.

I got him from someone who couldnt take care of him due to growing family and work. So I got everything way cheaper if I started from scratch. I kept it the same set up and slowly moved to do a different one more safer etc. With a tile base substrate and less objects in it as he kept tripping over them. He was something to climb up on if he wants tho and a blanket at night if he feels like it.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Different bulbs put out heat differently. I find the flood lamps put out more heat in lower watts than other bulbs with higher watts. The red light isn't very good for their sight. They like bright light just like being outside.

Tsubaby

Original Poster
True i guess; could you link one you suggest
I live in canada and it can get 20 degrees below freezing and even with my window closed it can be negative ten.
I wont be able to afford anything till next thursday

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I'm in the US but I will try to find you something close to what you need.
https://www.lowes.ca/halogen-light-bulbs/sylvania-2-pack-80-watt-par38-bright-white-outdoor-halogen-flood-light-bulbs_g1493280.html?searchTerm=flood-light-bulb
I'm sure you can find a single bulb and not a two pack. You might have to try a lower watt if that is too hot, or higher watt if not warm enough. It doesn't have to be that brand but you want something similar. Just don't buy the LED type they won't get warm enough.

If you struggle with temps like I do you can get a lamp dimmer to control the heat.
https://www.amazon.ca/LUTRON-Credenza-Plug-Dimmer-TT-300NLH-WH/dp/B0000DI241/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504429405&sr=8-2&keywords=lamp+dimmer

Since it will get really cold at night you will want to get a ceramic heat emitter for at night (CHE)
Something like this.
https://www.amazon.ca/Pecute-Infrared-Ceramic-Emitter-Black/dp/B01N9QM1G2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504429293&sr=8-4&keywords=ceramic+heat+emitter

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
The red light is fine for now. It's not something that needs to be changed immediately. Lizards do see light differently than we do though and they prefer very bright light.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Beardies SE in color just like we do, so any colored bulbs can cause eye issues, discomfort, etc. All you need is a bright white halogen indoor flood bulb, like you can buy at a hardware store. No reptile specialty bulbs are needed.

I think the problem is that your first basking bulb wasn't keeping the temps warm enough because it wasn't a big enough wattage, so you went to the red bulb, which was hot enough but the red colored bulb is bothering him, that's what is causing the black beard. Usually a single bright white halogen indoor flood bulb of 100 watts to 125 watts will keep a 40 gallon breeder at the proper temps. 99% of the bulbs they sell in pet shops are inadequate and unnecessary, which is just sad. Think of it this way, you're trying to replicate natural sunlight as closely as possible by putting a bright white basking bulb right alongside an adequate wavelength and strength UVB tube, both being over the main basking spot so he gets both at the same time...So red, blue, yellow, green, black, etc. bulbs don't help replicate natural sunlight...They love bright white basking light (a CHE as mentioned is not adequate for basking, a low wattage CHE can be added to the other side of the tank if needed to bump temps up to the proper ranges, but a CHE does not replace a bright white basking bulb)...So I'm sure you have hardware stores and department stores like Walmart in Canada where you can buy halogen indoor flood bulbs for your house, that's what you need. I'd buy a 100 watt and a 125 watt, then measure each of the 3 temps with a digital probe thermometer and see where you're at. But please ditch the red bulb immediately, it's why he's black bearding!

Tsubaby

Original Poster
The first light here https://sta.sh/223nhj43rbhk?edit=1 I think is one of the hologen white lights you guys were talking about and its like 15w Idk ?? Ill probably get a better one but this bulb is massive. it keeps his tank at 83-86 degrees which is normal temp. I might go to a homehardware or rona soon to pick a higher wattage bulb next week. At the moment its 62 F and 16 C outside. I think its about 18 -20 c inside. This is at night temp atm which isnt bad since in the dessert it can get about freezing. So if I leave the red light on for an hour or so during the day and let him have no light at night would that work for now until I am able to get everything I need ?

Would puting the red light at the moment on a timer so that he gets to basic for short period at a time? or one long bask and then normal light for a day?

I dont have any cash until this friday due to labor day? how do I minamize the red light harmfullness till then?

This is the bulb I found on google that I got with him. http://www.topbulb.com/e-lume-59676...-compact-fluorescent-screw-in-lamps-par-shape

Tsubaby

Original Poster
oh this is rocco in his full smug glory
untitled_by_tsubaby-dbmbkn4.jpg

untitled_by_tsubaby-dbmbkmi.jpg
this is him suspending him self up with his tail for a hour.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He really looks like he's enjoying the cool glass against his tummy ....

I really miss my gang doing that kind of thing, all the beardies did it when young and little, all the skinks too, and especially the water skinks (even as mature and even elderly adults).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tsubaby":1a2ooelr said:
The first light here https://sta.sh/223nhj43rbhk?edit=1 I think is one of the hologen white lights you guys were talking about and its like 15w Idk ?? Ill probably get a better one but this bulb is massive. it keeps his tank at 83-86 degrees which is normal temp. I might go to a homehardware or rona soon to pick a higher wattage bulb next week. At the moment its 62 F and 16 C outside. I think its about 18 -20 c inside. This is at night temp atm which isnt bad since in the dessert it can get about freezing. So if I leave the red light on for an hour or so during the day and let him have no light at night would that work for now until I am able to get everything I need ?

Would puting the red light at the moment on a timer so that he gets to basic for short period at a time? or one long bask and then normal light for a day?

I dont have any cash until this friday due to labor day? how do I minamize the red light harmfullness till then?

This is the bulb I found on google that I got with him. http://www.topbulb.com/e-lume-59676...-compact-fluorescent-screw-in-lamps-par-shape
<<< I recommend unless you have a use for it in your home , return it, get a refund. it's worthless for a bearded dragon - will only provide white light , no heat, no UVA and no UVB AT ALL.

par30 only specifies the angle of the cone of focused light (30 degrees).

You are looking for either a halogen spotlight globe , or a mercury vapour globe , or a incandescent spotglobe. The globe needs to create heat and colourless light AT LEAST.
A MVB will create heat & colorless light + UVA & UVB.
A neodymium coated basking globe is an incandescent globe which has an internal neodymium coating which emits UVA when electrically excited - I am NOT a fan of neodymium basking globes but they are cheap , come an wide range of wattages and are popular.

A par30 fluorescent spotty is great , as "green" globe to run in the house, but it's worthless for a beardie's viv , it will only provide white light , no heat , no UV.

I know of no par30 UVB compact fluorescents .

If the selling point is it's ENERGY SAVING or GREEN , it wont work in a beardie's viv unless you want extra light and already have plenty of heat , UVA & UVB already ( provided by other globes/tubes).

Tsubaby

Original Poster
The previous light shown was what I got with him. I assume that this light was with Rocco for a long while. I forgot to mention I dont thing I need a uvb light as he came with a zoomed 10.0 uvb light
https://www.amazon.ca/Zoo-Med-26061...=UTF8&qid=1504858293&sr=1-3&keywords=uvb+lamp
I have the 18" version of the UVB reptisun. I just need to know what is a good basking light and I guess a regular day light as I think during the winter I would keep the CH on all night. Since it doesnt emit any light? so he can sleep and be warm if need be

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The T5HO 10% Zoo Med is good.

Basking globe , I recommend a par38 incandescent (maybe 100W) , make sure it's colourless. Wouldn't hurt to install a 100W MVB for the basking globe , the UVA and UVB will be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom