Rate my setup. Any tips? Beardie problems!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRL

Hi, i have a baby beardie about a month old and ive had him for three weeks. Ever since i got him the first day hes only been eating 1-3 waxworms a day which is concerning. I have pictures of my setup but dont know how to post them. (Help is appreciated!) i want ratings on my setup to improve it. Maybe my lighting is bad and i need to change it to make my beardie gain appetite? I dont know. I am a novice at taking care of beardies as this is my first one. I dont want my lil beardie dying on my me because of poor care. My lights are sitting on the mesh lid and for some reason my beardie doesnt bask that much. It could be the rock because when i felt it its really hot and that might burn his stomach. ALL HELP IS GREAT :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
To post images use the XIMG button
or (I find it easier to)
upload to TINYPIC and copy the
code to the post
or
upload to POSTIMAGE.ORG and copy the ***.PNG into the post using the img button.

These might help you review your setup in a methodical way :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050
and
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Best feeders for a very young hatchling bearded dragon .
Good staple insects
>> BSF maggots
>> blowfly gents
and the pupae and flies , great for hatchlings and juveniles , naturally rich in calcium
>> silkworms
small (1-1.5 inch for sub 3 month olds)
medium (1.5 - 2 inch for larger hatchlings and juveniles)
large ( > 2 inch for beardies older than 12 months.
>> crickets / roaches / locusts , must be gutloaded with calcium rich foods and greens & dusted LIGHTLY with calcium powder.

Repashi GRUBPIE is acceptable as a backup food.

Hard and soft pellets , dubious , ok mixed in as softened croutons through they greens/salad (maybe).

Bites = rubbish food.

Insects suitable for treats
wax worms
and if beardie is over 12 months old
mealworms (lavae , pupae and beetles)
superworms (lavae , pupae and beetles)

basically Feeding schedules :

hatchlings
three feeds of live appropriate sized insects per day as many as they want per session offered a few at time if it's hoppy or fast moving
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it).

Juveniles (6 months to 12 months)
two feeds of insects per day
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it)

MattRL

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3fnqbk61 said:
To post images use the XIMG button
or (I find it easier to)
upload to TINYPIC and copy the
code to the post
or
upload to POSTIMAGE.ORG and copy the ***.PNG into the post using the img button.

These might help you review your setup in a methodical way :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050
and
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Best feeders for a very young hatchling bearded dragon .
Good staple insects
>> BSF maggots
>> blowfly gents
and the pupae and flies , great for hatchlings and juveniles , naturally rich in calcium
>> silkworms
small (1-1.5 inch for sub 3 month olds)
medium (1.5 - 2 inch for larger hatchlings and juveniles)
large ( > 2 inch for beardies older than 12 months.
>> crickets / roaches / locusts , must be gutloaded with calcium rich foods and greens & dusted LIGHTLY with calcium powder.

Repashi GRUBPIE is acceptable as a backup food.

Hard and soft pellets , dubious , ok mixed in as softened croutons through they greens/salad (maybe).

Bites = rubbish food.

Insects suitable for treats
wax worms
and if beardie is over 12 months old
mealworms (lavae , pupae and beetles)
superworms (lavae , pupae and beetles)

basically Feeding schedules :

hatchlings
three feeds of live appropriate sized insects per day as many as they want per session offered a few at time if it's hoppy or fast moving
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it).

Juveniles (6 months to 12 months)
two feeds of insects per day
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it)

http://postimg.org/image/p4zvl4c4p/]
IMG_2520.jpg
[/url]

http://postimg.org/image/uhtbczpex/]
IMG_2521.jpg
[/url]

Thats my setup. Should i clip my lights to the side of the tank with a clip on mount? Also, the problem with my beardie is about not eating a lot. Is that normal? As you stated they have to eat as much as they want in a ten minute sitting twice a day but he only eats about 2 - 3 per sitting and my light setup isnt correct which makes his appetite decrease?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Can you list what brand, model, color, and type (MVB, coil, compact, or tube) your lights are, along with his basking spot, hot side, and cool side temperatures are? And what type of thermometer you're using to measure the temperatures? What Calcium and multivitamin supplements are you using, and how often? And are wax worms your main staple feeder?

MattRL

Original Poster
EllenD":1dujqyum said:
Can you list what brand, model, color, and type (MVB, coil, compact, or tube) your lights are, along with his basking spot, hot side, and cool side temperatures are? And what type of thermometer you're using to measure the temperatures? What Calcium and multivitamin supplements are you using, and how often? And are wax worms your main staple feeder?

Main staple is waxworms. I bought the ZooMed 20 gal starter kit. The warm side is 110F and the cold side is 80F i have no clue what the lights are bc i threw away all the boxes but you can look up the starter kit online and see what lights they include. I give him calcium everyday. And he absolutely hates veggies and fruit. I just give him the waxworms i used to feed him a lot of mealworms but they were bad so i switched.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MattRL":139dx92z said:
I've reformatted your images to see them properly 1280dpi size
img1.png

img2.png

Thats my setup. Should i clip my lights to the side of the tank with a clip on mount? Also, the problem with my beardie is about not eating a lot. Is that normal? As you stated they have to eat as much as they want in a ten minute sitting twice a day but he only eats about 2 - 3 per sitting and my light setup isnt correct which makes his appetite decrease?

Move the basking and UVB closer to each other. Beardie needs to get high levels of UVA & UVB while basking (I am for about 190 microW UVB / sq.cm).
The very fine mesh lid is blocking about 40% of the UVA & UVB as well as the UVB bulb being too far away form the floor and beardie to provide adequate UV exposure.

Move the UVB and the hood it's mounting UNDER the mesh lid, needs to be about 7-8 inches from the basking spot.
I would mount the UV globe's hood as follows.
hood_under_mesh.png

>> large nylon cable ties wrapped around the hood (one each end)
>> make two small holes in the mesh lid (to slip small cable ties through)
>> short length of timber dowel placed on top of mesh small cable ties on each end (to avoid ties ripping mesh)
>> 2 small cable ties slipped onto the large cable ties through mesh around dowel at each end as shown
>> tighten large and small cable ties , done.

I think inadequate UVA is contributing to his small apetite , if you can increase the flux of both UVA & UVB by moving the UVB globe closer to his basking spot and the floor , this will help boost his apetite.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
We bought the pair at 5 weeks old and Peppa was 13.9g and Toothless was 11.0g.
I started them each off with three meals per day of live insects , 18 small (20 day old) crickets split between for meals 1 & 2 + blowfly gents for meal 3 , and I also offered greens and grated veg and softened repcal juvenile beardie and vetafarm lizard pellets.

At 2 months old Peppa & Toothless were the following
weights 24.6g and 20.9g
and I was giving each 12 med-small (25day old about 1/4 size) cricket & 4 med-small (1 - 1.5 inch long) silkworms split over 3 meals each + some greens & grate veg & softened repcal juvenile beardie & vetafarm lizard pellets .

At 3 months old
weights were 60.6g and 51.1g
and I was giving each 18 med (1/3 size) crickets & 6 medium (1.5 - 2 inch long) silkworms split over 3 meals each + some greens & grate veg & softened repcal juvenile beardie & vetafarm lizard pellets .

MattRL

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":h44dj8u9 said:
MattRL":h44dj8u9 said:
I've reformatted your images to see them properly 1280dpi size
img1.png

img2.png

Move the basking and UVB closer to each other. Beardie needs to get high levels of UVA & UVB while basking (I am for about 190 microW UVB / sq.cm).
The very fine mesh lid is blocking about 40% of the UVA & UVB as well as the UVB bulb being too far away form the floor and beardie to provide adequate UV exposure.

Move the UVB and the hood it's mounting UNDER the mesh lid, needs to be about 7-8 inches from the basking spot.
I would mount the UV globe's hood as follows.
hood_under_mesh.png

>> large nylon cable ties wrapped around the hood (one each end)
>> make two small holes in the mesh lid (to slip small cable ties through)
>> short length of timber dowel placed on top of mesh small cable ties on each end (to avoid ties ripping mesh)
>> 2 small cable ties slipped onto the large cable ties through mesh around dowel at each end as shown
>> tighten large and small cable ties , done.

I think inadequate UVA is contributing to his small apetite , if you can increase the flux of both UVA & UVB by moving the UVB globe closer to his basking spot and the floor , this will help boost his apetite.

Thank you so much for the information i will try to build this as fast as i can in the name of jojo. This will truly help me! Check back on this forum every so often to see if i need help bc i know i will need help and can u list the supplies i need for this build? Greatly appreciated

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
You also need to stop feeding him wax worms as his staple, they are not a staple feeder but should only be an occasional treat. They contain little to no protein or much needed vitamins and minerals, and are pretty much all fat and water. He will not only develop severe nutritional deficiencies from eating them, but he will end up with fatty liver disease very young. Mealworms are just as bad nutritionally, plus they tend to cause impactions.

From birth to a year old your beardie is doing most of his growing and developing, and if you're not feeding him 2-3 feeding sessions every day, each session lasting 10-15 minutes, where he's allowed to eat as many HIGH-QUALITY LIVE FEEDER INSECTS as he wants to, he's not going to grow to his full potential, possibly be stunted, and most importantly he will develop fatty liver disease. He should only have a few wax worms per week at most for a treat. And now you're going to have to completely eliminate them, at least for a while, because he will hold out for them instead of eating the nutritious live insects. You need to gutload crickets or dubia roaches, or other roaches, with lots of Calcium rich greens and beardie pellets, or use Phoenix Worms/BSFL/Calciworms/Reptiworms, or silkworms. He's far to small for any size of superworms. So you should either start ordering crickets, dubias, BSFL, or silkworms in bulk online, you'll save a fortune, or start a dubia roach colony. Either way you really need to completely stop the wax worms for now, he may not eat the crickets or dubias for a few days, that's fine, just don't give in and give him any more wax worms or mealworms, you're not doing him any favors and will be very sorry if you don't change his diet now while he's young.

JohnWest

EllenD":3hld3y98 said:
You also need to stop feeding him wax worms as his staple, they are not a staple feeder but should only be an occasional treat. They contain little to no protein or much needed vitamins and minerals, and are pretty much all fat and water. He will not only develop severe nutritional deficiencies from eating them, but he will end up with fatty liver disease very young. Mealworms are just as bad nutritionally, plus they tend to cause impactions.

From birth to a year old your beardie is doing most of his growing and developing, and if you're not feeding him 2-3 feeding sessions every day, each session lasting 10-15 minutes, where he's allowed to eat as many HIGH-QUALITY LIVE FEEDER INSECTS as he wants to, he's not going to grow to his full potential, possibly be stunted, and most importantly he will develop fatty liver disease. He should only have a few wax worms per week at most for a treat. And now you're going to have to completely eliminate them, at least for a while, because he will hold out for them instead of eating the nutritious live insects. You need to gutload crickets or dubia roaches, or other roaches, with lots of Calcium rich greens and beardie pellets, or use Phoenix Worms/BSFL/Calciworms/Reptiworms, or silkworms. He's far to small for any size of superworms. So you should either start ordering crickets, dubias, BSFL, or silkworms in bulk online, you'll save a fortune, or start a dubia roach colony. Either way you really need to completely stop the wax worms for now, he may not eat the crickets or dubias for a few days, that's fine, just don't give in and give him any more wax worms or mealworms, you're not doing him any favors and will be very sorry if you don't change his diet now while he's young.

can you mention some of the reliable online sources for a person somewhere in Houston,Texas?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I order my BSFL in bulk from 2 places, either www.symtonbsf.com or www.dubiaroaches.com and this one also sells dubias, crickets, etc. in bulk at great prices. You can set up repeat delivery, I have 1,000 BSF delivered ever 3 weeks so I'm not waiting for them. I also found a local breeder on my local Craigslist that delivers crickets, dubias, and superworms, and he just goes around and does his door to door deliveries every week, and he's extremely cheap, so I get my superworms from him (most local places like this will be extremely cheap as I get 100 large superworms for $8 delivered to my door), so I'd also recommend checking your local Craigslist for someone like this. But in the meantime, hit one of the online places ASAP because you must stop the wax worms immediately...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom