New to BD, seizure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CritterND

I just purchased my first dragon, I bought her from a young boy (maybe 12). I got her home with "all her accessories" and set up the tank only to find that the UV bulbs were burned out so i dont know how long she has been without them. The only heat source they had was a red bulb so she has essentially had no UV light source for an unknown period of time. I just purchased a 60w ceramic overhead heat source and a 10.0 UVA/UVB 26w bulb.

She was nervous when her previous owner tried to handle her but she has been very calm for me so far. When I got home today, she was excited to see me and came to the front of her tank then appeared to have a seizure for appriximately 1 minute. I googled this and found information on MBD. I am concerned that this may be what she is suffering from. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Its too early to know exactly what temperature my tank is because I also just got home with thermometers for the basking and cool ends of her tank (long 20 gallon, I am shopping for something larger... long 75-150 gallon.) She is young, approximately 1 year old.

Previous owner had purple sand in her tank, I threw that out and replaced it with turf so I can disinfect it during tank cleanings and I worry about her ingesting the sand. I am feeding crickets, meal worms, Rep-Cal Juvenile Bearded Dragon food, spring mix salad, and sprinking Rep-Cal Calcium with Vit D3. Her tank had one plastic log/rock tank decor piece and a scraggly fabric plant with wire supports to keep it vertical. I threw away the fake plant, disinfected the plastic decor piece. I purchased a nice large wood log and a flat stone from out local Petco and added those to her tank.

Im still learning, but I want to provide the best care for my beardie and quite concerned about the seizure I witnessed this evening.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is possibly a seizure. Can you post some photos of her and her setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

It's important that she gets a lot of UVB and proper temperatures so if the weather is nice try bringing her outside to sit in your lap and get some natural sunlight. The 26w coil bulb is OK in a small enclosure but won't put out much UVB beyond about 6-8''. If she is a year old she'll need a larger space and a 24'' T5 UVB light is probably more appropriate. I can help you find one that will fit when I know more about her enclosure. You may want to order some liquid calcium supplement and get her started on that as well. Is she eating anything on her own at this point? Drip some water on her nose for her to lick up so she stays hydrated. Don't push food too much at this point until you can better determine her overall health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom