IS THIS TAIL ROT? PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianabloom303

I just got my bearded dragon 4 days ago from a breeder. She is currently shedding and I noticed that the last half of her tail is darker than the rest of it. This is my first beardie and I'm worried that it's tail rot. I don't have a lot of money so I'm holding off on taking her to the vet right now. Here is a picture https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/56624/full

Please let me know if you think this is tail rot!! I'm very worried! Thanks!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
No, it's not tail rotor at all. Their tails become darker in sections when they are getting ready to shed it, and that's exactly what your beardie is doing. Tail rotor is where the tissue in the tail actually becomes necrotic (dies), turns black, and eventually shrivels up, becomes dry, and usually falls off, and this is due to an infection that is caused by an open wound, usually a bite from another beardie, from a cricket or other insect, or just a wound from an accident. Also sometimes they get a piece of retained shed that cuts off the circulation below it, and that can cause necrosis, but this is rare.

Your beardie is fine, you're going to see this happen from time to time, so don't worry. But it's definitely always good to ask if you're not sure. I appreciate you caring enough about your beardie to be this concerned...Keep up the good work!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Not at all, it's a perfectly fine tail. Many dragons have a natural darkening tail end and some turn different color [ lighter or darker ] before they shed. And I've raised a lot of them + seen a lot of them, he looks fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom