Swallowed small water crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
I was feeding my beardie some dubias they like to hide in the egg crates so i shake them out into a cup but one of the small water crystals got in there so when i dumped into his food dish he ate it. Is that okay for him? I figured it just water so its not bad right?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NOT GOOD.

For starters , throw the Dew Drops in the bin. These things have to be eaten by the insects to get access to the water bonded within them, and guess where the polyacrylamide copolymer winds up, inside the lizards' gut when it eats the insects. Not good.
Best way to keep your bugs hydrated is provide fresh chunks of carrot and fresh greens. These will also help gutload the bugs.

If you are lucky the stuff will be dissolved and digested by your dragon , or it will pass through since only a little bit was swallowed. BUT keep an eye on the dragon JIC.

From the manufacturer (of the copolymer)'s material safety data sheet :
Ingestion: If swallowed, seek medical attention. May cause gastrointestinal blockage. Do not give laxatives. Do not induce vomiting unless directed to do so by medical personnel.
here for more details : http://www.ampolymer.com/SDS/PolyacrylamideSDS.html

I think this is likely going to need a vet to deal with it if the dragon become impacted or develops blockage in the gut, as the usual ways of clearing impactions are likely to make this worse , as this material (the polyacrylamide copolymer) will absorb more moisture and increase in volume / swell many fold the original volume when ingested..
See
swelling_factor_of_Polyacryamide_polymers.png

key to abreviations and symbols
swelling_factor_of_Polyacryamide_polymers_key.png

source : General Properties of Hydrogels
O. Okay
http://www.springer.com/978-3-540-75644-6

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
OMG this really sucks. I dont think ill be using those drops anymore since this happened. So should i continue giving him food or just wait it out and give him more frequent baths? He just went to the bathroom as i given him a warm bath. I am really concerned though as i dont want to go to the vet. What should i do? :(

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I called the vet and they would need to do an exam and xrays. I really hope it doesn't come down to this. I also took one of those water crystals out to see if it can be crushed and it didn't into tiny pieces.
92311-3726811535.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
These should pass through , only if he ate a larger amount would he be in trouble. Just feed him as usual and it will pass through and he'll be fine....but I agree, throw those out.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think the vet is going to have a hard job seeing the gel which will likely swell in the gut with Xrays as they are essentially looking for water .... but might pick up a large swollen gel mass and misinterpret it as gas.

Hope you are wrong and he didn't eat them .... in which case it's just a false alarm.
or
If he did it was only a small amount and the pH in the stomach is enough to break it down or for him to pass it through his GIS , essentially pushed through with his food.

Good luck.... I too hope you dodged bullet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, if he just ate one -two small pieces they will pass through , you won't need a vet. :)

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He just ate one and those were the other ones he was about to eat which he thinks its food everything is food to him so luckily i just picked him up and then quickly got the rest out before he could get to him. I usually watch him as he eats and i saw that im like OMG... no... of course he eats one of them. Is there an emergency kit i could get for him like in case he does eat something he shouldn't i could give him? I hate to feel this way and feeling hopeless and of course the vet cannot say ANYTHING over the phone. They say "you must bring him in for an exam". I really hope this is just a small warning to tell me to say "throw those water drops out".

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I am not sure how a vet would deal with an impaction caused by ingesting enough "Dew Drops" to be an issue.

I think this is a cross your fingers and wait and see thing

.... if there is going to be a problem you'll know inside a day or two (the residence time food in beardie's GIT is about 48 hrs).
And of cause if his belly swells up .... that's an obvious red flag.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Also noticed it sticks to things so I'm guessing these are not the best for sanitary reasons :( I'll keep an eye on his behavior if he starts acting abnormal then i guess a vet is in order.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Reptilelady":17y8ijr1 said:
Also noticed it sticks to things so I'm guessing these are not the best for sanitary reasons
<<< Yep, is really sticky .... just like the water crystals I use to keep my berry and fruit plants in pots alive in summer when it's hot and dry (November thro to January) .

:( I'll keep an eye on his behavior if he starts acting abnormal then i guess a vet is in order.

Sounds like a plan to me .

I know you'll be having a sleepless night tonight worrying about this .

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I know right?! No wonder hes getting bigger its from ingesting those water dews :lol: Its like water steroids for beardies. But no on a serious note, I WILL be THROWING them out. Good thing i only got them for $5 at the reptile expo. Just a small warning lesson learned.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Nobbys I was going to comment that they remind me of the stuff you put in plant and flower pots to keep them hydrated through winter! I bet if you look up the ingredients they are exactly the same thing...What would ever possess a company to say "Hey, what a great idea, let's market this stuff to keep live feeder insects for pet reptiles hydrated! They'll probably digest them...?"...

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He was hungry so i gave him some BSFL and he ate some of his collard greens.
92311-7969837039.jpg
Right after eating.. i don't see any lumps or anything around his stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom