Is coccidia airborne?+other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibutan

I recently posted about a baby dragon I added to my crew that had awful coccidia.
She left us because of it.
But I decided to get my other two beardies tested.
And despite thoroughly washing my hands and stuff, they both seem to have coccidia as well.
I'm just wondering if it's airborne perhaps? Or the vets just didn't catch their coccidia until now. One of my dragons is newer and the other I've had 8 months. I am going through all the proper protocols (ordered some f10sc, got probiotics, getting their meds, got carnivore care, using only one piece of furniture for their basking+their worm dish, plus a short bath daily to re-hydrate them)

Will doing this daily and thoroughly get rid of the coccidia?
Any other tips that you guys might have for me that can help me out?
I'm planning on going until my babies are completely healthy again. I love them more than anything.

Also, I have a leopard gecko whom I very rarely handle (he prefers to be left alone). Should I get him checked for coccidia too? I haven't handled him since before the baby with bad coccidia came into my room. (I did not know she had coccidia when i brought her into my room, i was told she was completely healthy)

Thank you,
Hibu.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes , it can be transmitted as an aerosol (dust) if the eggs are surfaces .

See The Biology and Identification of the Coccidia (Apicomplexa) By Donald W. Duszynski, Lee Couch p275
transmission_of_coccidia_eggs.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom