[New Owner] juvenile bearded dragon tail bleeding/cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new owner on this bearded dragon I had it since he was a baby it's been about 5 months and it's shedded maybe about three or four times while growing now this is the first time that I seen it have a cut also there has always been a dent in that area that is cut since I got him as a baby but I believe due to the shedding now it's causing this bleeding I put Neosporin on it after giving him a warm bath and hope to see progress soon. I just wanted to know if anybody else has seen this and if this is something of that a vet should look at or something that will be taking care of with some ointment and time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to put the neosporin on, has the tail been black at the end since you had him ? It might be good to have an experienced reptile vet look at it. It's important that it be a true reptile vet, otherwise they may just guess at what to do + can cause more harm than good.

Otherwise for now keep the Neosporin on it + see how it does.

Cubanboy6292

Original Poster
Yeah I'm going doing the Neosporin.

I believe it got darker due to the shedding, or him growing or could be stress due to the cut he has. He's been patient with me not showing aggression. But two things I have notice is one I left some crickets in his cage which might me the biggest cause of the problem and second he hasn't been eating lately, maybe a cricket and a work here and there but too a minimum. And I saw no poop today as well. All this can be due to the shedding process but I'm still uncertain.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Could get a bottle of Benadiene (iodine) , add it a drop at a time to some luke warm water ( sterile saline is best ) in a clean medicine cup (the cone shaped one) until it looks like weak tea, then soak the injured end of the tail in this daily for 15 minutes per day, then apply the chosen antibiotic ointment to the injury as required.

The betadiene will help kill of any germs and remove any biolayer created by them.

Cubanboy6292

Original Poster
Kingofnobbys,

Thank you it does look like the tail is getting tail rot. I will try that out as soon as I can, any suggestion where to buy that bottle.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
drug stores carry it. The house brand is usually listed as povidone iodine. You can also use manuka honey or continue using neosporing without any pain reliever to help protect the wound.

Cubanboy6292

Original Poster
93758-3300394505.jpg
93758-2198340604.jpg
93758-1974888589.jpg
93758-3574870201.jpg

Just an update. The stuff on him is Neosporin, he has two areas now. The blood is dried and dark so I no it's dead. Going to shop for the other antibiotics soon but should I just take him to the emergency room and have it amputated?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would try to keep it clean for now and see if the neosporin protects it and helps it heal. If the wound looks like it's expanding or moving up the tail then a vet should be called in to have a look. Hopefully it will heal over soon without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom