Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakai

hey guys, my beardie.Drogo hasnt been eating recently and i dont know why.
92108-4099169308.jpg
At 1st he stopped eating the greens but still ate a lil crickets. Then now he stopped eating the crickets too. The only thing he eats now is baby food which ive been feeding him.  Aside from that, hes active and would continue to bask. He poops everyday too(not a lot compared to when he would eat the crickets). The temperature is fine, 42C, so i dont think thats the problem. I even weighed him but no apparent weight loss. Im not sure if its because he saw Daenys, my female beardie, the other day, as that was the 1st time he had a reaction toward her(black beard and head bob). Or could it be his tail? Its a bit brown but im sure it isnt tail rot coz he would still shed his tail.
92108-7204472995.jpg
He's shedding his tail again so I soak him in water everyday. Any advice i could use? ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty healthy. His appetite could be off due to the shed which is common. It could also be hormonal as you mentioned. I suggest keeping an eye on his weight to see if that is remaining stable. You might offer some other feeders to try and get his attention but if his weight is stable he is probably OK.

Sakai

Original Poster
CooperDragon":em2f1ynf said:
He looks pretty healthy. His appetite could be off due to the shed which is common. It could also be hormonal as you mentioned. I suggest keeping an eye on his weight to see if that is remaining stable. You might offer some other feeders to try and get his attention but if his weight is stable he is probably OK.

ok thx. I did try feeding him with Turkistan and Dubia roaches, but he wasnt interested. He did chew on a dubia but only to spit it back out moments later.? Will continue to keep an eye on him. Thx agn?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Well he's outside in that photo (I'm assuming that your female isn't around in that photo) and he's got a black beard, which might be a few things, but not necessarily good. How often is he black bearding?

His tail doesn't look very good to me, maybe someone else can give their opinion as to what they think, but it doesn't look like just a shed to me, it's very, very dark, and it looks like the tip is shriveled, and it also looks like there are a couple areas of scabbing or retained shed (darker bands of thicker black)...Is there any retained shed on his tail? It could just be the way the photo looks, but if he's had some retained shed on his tail for a while it could be cutting of the circulation in his tail, or he could have an infection. Like I said I'm not sure, it just seems off to me...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The tail does look extremely dark in the second photo but I chalked that up to lighting because it just looks dull gray like it's about to shed in the outdoor photo.

Sakai

Original Poster
EllenD":1wk9t8na said:
Well he's outside in that photo (I'm assuming that your female isn't around in that photo) and he's got a black beard, which might be a few things, but not necessarily good. How often is he black bearding?

His tail doesn't look very good to me, maybe someone else can give their opinion as to what they think, but it doesn't look like just a shed to me, it's very, very dark, and it looks like the tip is shriveled, and it also looks like there are a couple areas of scabbing or retained shed (darker bands of thicker black)...Is there any retained shed on his tail? It could just be the way the photo looks, but if he's had some retained shed on his tail for a while it could be cutting of the circulation in his tail, or he could have an infection. Like I said I'm not sure, it just seems off to me...

His beard has always been this color for as long as i can remember :shock:
92108-1853738055.jpg
92108-2617328558.jpg
It would get completely black if he sees my female beardie tho.

What do i do with the retained sheds? And what is the reason/cause for it?
92108-7723594769.jpg
I bath him every alternate day before, but now i bath him everyday in hopes that he could shed easier. :( also i apply coconut virgin oil to sooth his skin. Could his tail be the reason why he lost his appetite?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The other photos make his tail seem OK. It just looks like shedding at the moment. Shedding can certainly affect their mood and appetite so I'd wait a bit and see how the shed progresses.

Sakai

Original Poster
CooperDragon":y2r1zx0e said:
The other photos make his tail seem OK. It just looks like shedding at the moment. Shedding can certainly affect their mood and appetite so I'd wait a bit and see how the shed progresses.

Its the 3rd day since Drogo hasnt really ate. His hasnt lose any weight tho. 458g. But im still concern. Can anyone shed light on this? Here are some clearer pictures.
92108-9476398387.jpg
92108-9967074408.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I can't but if he were my pet, I'd have a good reptile vet taking a good look at him pronto and perhaps taking bloods to determine what is going on , I wouldn't be procrastinating about what it might or might not be.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I can't but if he were my pet, I'd have a good reptile vet taking a good look at him pronto and perhaps taking bloods to determine what is going on , I wouldn't be procrastinating about what it might or might not be.

I'd be worried about that dark oval high up his tail , has he had a run in with another beardie ? (been bitten there ?)

I suspect , based on the poor photos , this is more than just shedding , something else is going on, and being so high up his tail were some important glands are , this looks very serious to me.

Sakai

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":zwg6zkkj said:

I'd be worried about that dark oval high up his tail , has he had a run in with another beardie ? (been bitten there ?)

I suspect , based on the poor photos , this is more than just shedding , something else is going on, and being so high up his tail were some important glands are , this looks very serious to me.

We dont really have many trusted vets in our country, let alone vets that treat exotic animals. ?Though the last vet I visited was the only exotic animal veterinary that i know of (i spent hours searching for a vet who could treat my beardie), I didnt want to go back there. One of my previous beardie died due to poor treatment. Im not judging nor do I claim that i have better understanding than the doctor, but i know what i saw.. Is thr anything else i can do??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think the dark coloring may be due to natural colors combined with being a leatherback. I still think it may be a shed because it's affecting such a large portion of the tail at once, the tail doesn't look shriveled or wounded, and the grayish color rather than it being jet black. I may be mistaken but that's my reasoning.

I would keep an eye on it and see if it starts to act wounded or if it starts to crack and peel like a shed. If it starts to look wounded, I would try and treat it with a combination of topical antibiotics and oral antibiotics, however an amputation would most likely be needed since it would be affecting such a large portion of the tail. It would be difficult to prevent such an infection from spreading.

I would keep your hopes up for now and treat it as a shed until more information presents itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom