Black spot on beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

floortap

Greetings

Any idea what the dark spot could be in the pics linked below? It started as a little dark spot that I thought was a little scab or something from rubbing on her wooden furniture. But now she has shed and the spot seems bigger. The scales that shed from the spot looked really weird, almost like a wart, and the "new" spot underneath was whitish or translucent looking at first, but has now darkened a bit. Cancer? Scab? Damaged scales? Wart? I have an appointment with a vet on Monday but I'm not sure how familiar she is with beardies. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/Ufvud

floortap

Original Poster
vet said it could be yellow fungus, but is probably just missing scales from rubbing on something in her cage or whatever. said to keep an eye on it in case it grows but ideally should just heal after another shed or two. shrug

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It doesn't look like any Y.F. I've ever seen pics of. The other things you mentioned are possibilities so time will tell if it seems to grow or spread. For now it wouldn't hurt to paint some watered down betadine on it and maybe a dab of antfungal cream to be proactive.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did the vet scrape a sample for testing? If it's YF it would be detectable and it's ideal to treat it early. I agree with AHBD that it couldn't hurt to proactively put some betadine or antifungal cream on it and see how it reacts. It may just be odd scales during a shed cycle but if it looks more like a wart or scab then it certainly warrants close monitoring. I would take photos of it every few days so you can easily compare and detect spread/growth quickly.

floortap

Original Poster
thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention, the vet gave me some sulfadiazene (silver sulfate or something like that.. a cream) to put on it. At first she was talking about cutting it out and sending it to a lab, but I didn't want to jump into surgery unnecessarily

floortap

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ff5c28j said:
Did the vet scrape a sample for testing?.

forgot to answer: no scrape. seemed like options were remove it and test it or dont test. she didn't mention a scraping option and really I think it is something in her cage she's rubbing against. There is one missing scale further up her back and rhat part of her skin shed first and looks a little "worn" on inspection. I rearranged her furniture and will put the cream on her and take pics to monitor it.

Thanks again for all of your feedback

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that cream would be good. :) You can still dab it with betadine, let it dry [ it will dry quickly ] and then apply the cream.

floortap

Original Poster
vmanilova":20i3771e said:
Did the spot go away?

Not yet, but I think it is healing. I think it was a scab from rubbing on some of her furniture. I sanded the wooden piece of furniture I think was causing the issue and have been putting medicine on the scab from time to time and it seems to be getting better.

floortap

Original Poster
Unfortunately, she didn't pull through ;(

We got her black spots, which could have been scale damage that didn't heal properly, removed by a vet, but she had a little bump on her ribs on her back that seemed to be growing and her legs stopped working later on. Vet said they couldn't do anything beyond a $1000 MRI, and they said even if they identified a tumor the chances they could do anything about it were low.

So I saved the $1000 but now I'm almost regretting it. We found her coughing up blood and freaking out in her cage, so we took her to the vet to get put out of her misery. I wish they could have done some surgery but they said she was full of blood and was going to die either way. I figured ending the pain was probably the most humane thing.

I just wish I had held her while they gave her the shot :( My gf was with me and crying, so I didn't want to break down while they injected her with the drug and make my vet's day any more annoying, but now I regret that. I wish I had held her while he injected her with the drug ;( I hope she wasn't scared ;( I think she was probably only half conscious and in a lot of pain, though, so she probably wasn't "thinking" about much beyond being scared and in pain. Still, if I ever have the option again, I'm going to hold beardie in my hands and snuggle them while they get the shot if they have to get put down. I miss my little beardie so much ;(

Luckily my other beardie is in really good health and is younger, so hopefully won't have to deal with this again anytime soon.

I wonder if I should have tried harder to get the one who had to be put down to eat her veggies. She literally almost never ate any veggies. Even if we withheld protein for a long time she would just starve herself instead of eating veggies, no matter what veggies we offered, how we chopped it up, etc. We feed our feeder insects Repashy bug chow and lots of veggies to try to make sure our beardies get good nutrition but maybe that's not enough. My other beardie who is still alive never eats veggies either, so I'm going to have to work with him on that.

Anyway TLDR: if your beardie has bumps or black spots, brace yourself. Could be lots of expenses, or worse, on the horizon.

if anyone wants to see my beardies you can check out my relatively inactive blog http://sleepybeardie.blogspot.com

Here's Juniper, the one who passed away, while she was still healthy
3wdzNhu.jpg

And here's the last pic I have of her while she was still alive:
0BEREv9.jpg

Snuggle your beardies while you can!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl. I'm sorry to hear she didn't make it. It sounds like there was an internal infection or system failure that wasn't apparent. There probably wasn't anything more you could do to help her at that point. I'm glad she enjoyed a good life with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom