Eye twitching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm using reptisun T5HO 10.0 Linear Bulb and at the moment a 150w exo terra basking bulb. Looking to switch the exo terra basking bulb with a halogen floodlight :? Maybe the 150w is too strong for him perhaps? I have a 36" x 18" x 18" viv.

Hot side : 90-100 F
basking temps: 110 F
cool side: 80-83 F

Have you ever seen this before? :shock:

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I am actually getting worried because now he is doing this eye twitching movement more. I just hope its nothing serious :( Has anyone seen this before?

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Does he do it when he is outside his tank ? Maybe he has an eyelash in his eye, or a small piece of shed.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I never seen him do this outside of his tank. Hopefully its simple as that and it goes away on its own. I've seen him do this first time i got him as i thought it was the lights since i got him from petsmart. That was 2 months ago, now today he is doing this weird eye movement.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I've never seen this before, but I would definitely try switching out the EXO Terra basking bulb for a regular halogen indoor flood bulb and see if it stops it, because it does seem like it maybe due to the light...

They also have that third eyelid, which they do weird eye movements with when things get in their eyes, but I'm going with the light is bothering him. I have never used a "reptile" specialty basking bulb, only regular old halogen bulbs, so it very well could be the light, especially if she doesn't do it outside of her enclosure.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
EllenD":110ijldd said:
I've never seen this before, but I would definitely try switching out the EXO Terra basking bulb for a regular halogen indoor flood bulb and see if it stops it, because it does seem like it maybe due to the light...

They also have that third eyelid, which they do weird eye movements with when things get in their eyes, but I'm going with the light is bothering him. I have never used a "reptile" specialty basking bulb, only regular old halogen bulbs, so it very well could be the light, especially if she doesn't do it outside of her enclosure.

Do you think this light would work as i have a dimmable switch? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-120W-Equivalent-Halogen-PAR38-Dimmable-Indoor-Outdoor-Long-Life-Floodlight-Bulb-424985/203528712

What exactly bulb do you have? I just want to make sure that whatever i get next actually improves and not making things worse :?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They sometimes do that when there's a speck of something irritating it, it doesn't seem to be bothering much right now. Almost like when our eyes are kind of dry and we blink them a bit more.

Can you post pics of the tank to show where the lights [ including the uvb light ] are sitting ? I doubt it's any of his lights but if either the basking bulb or the Ho t5 is too close that's a possibility.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I did some googling online and found this interesting article.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6123595_bearded-dragon-eye-diseases.html
It might be Blepharospasm:
Blepharospasm is an involuntary eye tic or blinking that some bearded dragons experience.
I know one thing i do live in the desert but his substrate is not sand.

Really did not want to see anything bad as you know it just puts more of a bad negative thought and then you think its that but its really not that, etc.

If i am doing something wrong would love to correct it now before its too late and poor beardie has to suffer :(

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here's his setup:
92311-562470155.jpg
92311-9646267220.jpg

I also tried covering parts of his ghost beardie up so he wouldn't be so fixated on it :lol:

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I just gave him some of the leftover crickets and some of the BSFL and he is still eating a lot. He is active and alert, has his head up and he basks a lot - all day mostly. I lowered his basking branch and close to the UVB light lower so maybe that will help with his eyes. I think the T5 bulbs are stronger than the T8 bulbs so beardie doesn't need to be that high up.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is a lot of variety in there in terms of distance to the UVB light so I'd leave some areas that are close he can choose that if he wants. The concern is intensity if he can't get away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom