Is my beardie way too skinny ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisspt

I contacted his previous owner to check in and ask for his exact age, and I'm really shocked. Of course, since I got him I've been stuffing him and providing him with crickets and vegetables- the latter after the crickets because he seems to like both equally. So if hes still hungry he eats as much green as he wants and the heads back later.

But she said he was a year old ! He looks to me like.. 9 months ? He's my first beardie so I don't have a good eye for size but I included a picture.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/222547852054757377/338823924513112064/image.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/222547852054757377/338823915394826240/image.jpg

Is this normal ? He's def gotten bigger since I've had him but he's still small to me. (Blacker in the second pic since I just fed him) maybe she's off on the age ? I just got him and his tail is so small but he poops regularly.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was the previous owner the breeder ? Just wondering if they are not [ probably not ] then she might be guessing the age. It looks more like a 4 -5 month old , was probably never fed enough if it's older than that but if it's eating well now then that's great. It can still grow to be a good sized healthy dragon. :)

krisspt

Original Poster
she wasn't- but she mentioned getting him a few months back so i assume he's older than that. *sighs* i know it's gonna take a long time to reverse the effect of his past owners- even if he is a year old I hope I can just feed him as much as I can and perhaps he'll fatten up and get to the same roundness and stockiness as other adult beardies

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If she got him a few months ago maybe she only had him for a few months since then, and since he's eating well now just take care of him now and he should be fine. One thing you don't ewant to do is buy fattening worms like waxworms, just keep up with the crickets + veggies, he looks relatively healthy so don't stress too much. Other good feeders are BSFL [ aka Phonix or calciworms,] dubia roaches and silkworms. But if all you can get is crickets, that's fine. I've raised a lot of big dragons on crickets + good greens. So don't worry about rushing to fatten him up, you're doing a good job already judging from the size of his belly.

It would be good if you could show a few pics of his tank including the lights just in case something needs to be adjusted , also can you list your exact type , brand + watt lights you're using ?

krisspt

Original Poster
i have dubias ! i'm planning to keep him on them with crickets in case i run out ( a nearby store sells them)

i'm using the reptisun 10.0 and a zoo med 75 watt basking bulb. the temp on the basking area is around 100, and the cooler side in the 80s. i can't get any pics but i've been looking at pics of dragons around his (assumed) age and he should probably be a bit chunkier aah. i'll just keep feeding him haha. Oh ! i also have this weird, moist pellet diet thing which i haven't given him and don't plan to even use as a main diet in any sense- but maybe i could sprinkle 1 - 2 on top of his salads?

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
Dubias and crickets sound perfect! As far as veggies go I've used kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, and dandelion greens. I would stay away from the pellets as I've never heard anything good about them, but otherwise the diet sounds good!
It definitely sounds like the previous owner is guessing your bearded dragon's age because they are DEFINITELY not a year old. My Mouse is around 5 months old and I just measured her at 14 inches (maybe that can help you gauge?). If yours wasn't being fed properly, then they will absolutely run on the small side and will most likely grow very quickly with the wonderful care that you're providing! Lights and heat sound great as well as diet. Just be patient and I'm sure they'll put on weight :) If they are only a few months old, just make sure that you are providing 2-3 live feedings a day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
krisspt":2ri5isup said:
I contacted his previous owner to check in and ask for his exact age, and I'm really shocked. Of course, since I got him I've been stuffing him and providing him with crickets and vegetables- the latter after the crickets because he seems to like both equally. So if hes still hungry he eats as much green as he wants and the heads back later.

But she said he was a year old ! He looks to me like.. 9 months ? He's my first beardie so I don't have a good eye for size but I included a picture.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/222547852054757377/338823924513112064/image.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/222547852054757377/338823915394826240/image.jpg

Is this normal ? He's def gotten bigger since I've had him but he's still small to me. (Blacker in the second pic since I just fed him) maybe she's off on the age ? I just got him and his tail is so small but he poops regularly.

Head shapes
1) ==> juvenile , and young one UNDER 4 months old.
2) ==> juvenile about 6 month old maybe (more advanced development , head more triangular shaped)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom