Mouth Gaping even when cold or not basking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I know that beardies will mouth gape to regulate internal temperature etc, but I also noticed some people mentioning respiratory issues. My little guy mouth gapes quite often, even when he is outside the viv (but still hot) and sometimes when he is cold. I just placed him back in the viv after about 20-30 min of hanging out with us outside in 75 degree weather (in my house). He isn't breathing heavily from what I can see and there is no noise associated with it, so is there any other possibilities or is he just being normal?

Thanks!

Travis

edit- basking temps range from 100-105, 90-93 on hot side and 75 on cool side. He is around 8 months old, 18 inches long 405 grams. Regular clear bulb used for basking, Reptisun 10.0 t5 HO uvb

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
It seems like your setup is right. Has he been exposed to being cold and wet for long periods of time? Example taking a bath then leaving him with no heat source for awhile? Or his enclosure wet and damp? If none of those apply then i would say that's just something your beardie does... think of it as a personality trait :lol: My beardie will sit in his terrarium and then out of nowhere, no sounds complete silence he will open his mouth, puff his beard like hes angry then after like 2 seconds hes fine. Then again he is in phases of shedding. I think it really varies depending on beardies some of them like it extremely hot, others not too hot, etc so i wouldn't be too worried. If hes making sounds with his mouth then i would be concerned.
Found this link pretty resourceful :D
http://www.beardeddragontime.com/2015/12/respiratory-infection-ri.html

travisgould

Original Poster
He hasn't been exposed to those sort of conditions outside of baths. His enclosure is dry at all times for sure. There have been times in the past when he has perhaps been in the bath too long, but nothing extreme, just a few minutes. He only gets one on the rare occasion now. I have seen no mucus nor signs of difficulty breathing such as sounds or straining. He has been low energy for a little bit and his appetite has declined, but he still readily eats hornworms and bsfl,just not his roaches. I think he's just very picky.

Is lower energy, smaller appetite and mouth gaping cause for a vet visit? Or can I assume he is just opening his mouth for the heck of it?

travisgould

Original Poster
travisgould":mzub7vky said:
Hey guys,

So I know that beardies will mouth gape to regulate internal temperature etc, but I also noticed some people mentioning respiratory issues. My little guy mouth gapes quite often, even when he is outside the viv (but still hot) and sometimes when he is cold. I just placed him back in the viv after about 20-30 min of hanging out with us outside in 75 degree weather (in my house). He isn't breathing heavily from what I can see and there is no noise associated with it, so is there any other possibilities or is he just being normal?

Thanks!

Travis

edit- basking temps range from 100-105, 90-93 on hot side and 75 on cool side. He is around 8 months old, 18 inches long 405 grams. Regular clear bulb used for basking, Reptisun 10.0 t5 HO uvb

here's some pics of his mouth etc. I also included pics of his hands folded behind, he always does this but he never drags them and they are very strong and mobile. Is he just being a weirdo or is this a bad sign?

90564-1281559146.jpg
90564-1702965950.jpg
90564-2566048675.jpg
90564-7449110634.jpg
90564-3513914449.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks fine to me. Sometimes they will sit with their mouths open even when they aren't basking. It's also fairly common for them to sit with their hands folded like that. My guy sits with his hand folded down like that a fair bit and there isn't anything wrong. Just has fairly flexible hands.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
He looks great physically, and his mouth shows no signs of infection or bleeding, he's holding his head up high, it's not mouth gaping like they do when they're hot...And the leg thing is normal.

It's either just something he does, or he's actually doing it as a territorial or aggressive kind of thing. My 9 month old girl will do this sometimes when she's out of her enclosure walking around. If she hears something or I startle her by letting her from behind or pick her up, or if she's sitting on me and my dog or bird goes by she does it. She has never ever hissed or bitten, she just opens her mouth up, as to say "Hey!" Then after a minute or two she stops...

He looks perfectly healthy and very well taken care of. As long as there is no coughing, crackling, wheezing, sneezing, or any mucous in her mouth, she's just doing this as a behavioural signal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom