Beardie never leaves basking spot, acting abnormal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourmaline

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and I was looking for some advice. I really wish I had come here before getting a beardie.

I got a young bearded dragon (about 3 months old?) about a week ago from PetSmart. I got the 40g Zoo Med tank kit for him, along with the basics I thought I needed that weren't included in the kit (the staff wasn't much help, as the person who owns Beardies wasn't in). I got some small crickets, waxworms as a treat, ReptiSafe water conditioner, Rep-Cal Calcium and Herptivite, rocks, a ramp to act as a basking spot, and some fresh fruit and veggies.

He seemed to be doing well until yesterday, he had absolutely no appetite for any crickets, not even me offering him a waxworm got him to eat. Early this morning I noticed he was a lot darker than normal, and he had extremely dark stress marks. He's also been trying to climb up the tank walls as of yesterday. He also never leaves his basking spot for more than 10 minutes. He's been like that since I brought him home, I'm not sure if that's related, but after reading up on it a bit it doesn't seem like that's normal behavior.

He also started shedding about 4 days ago, but it seems like it was only his tail and legs, and they already finished shedding. I give him daily 10-20 minute baths which he seems to like. He's still pooping normally, he's been going in his bath every day. He was eating well before this, about 20ish crickets a day dusted with both the calcium and herptivite, even on the first day home he ate. I've been struggling to get him to try the veggies and fruit. Today he did eat about 6 crickets and a waxworm, no veggies. The stress marks have gone away a bit since this morning but they're still there.

I did check his basking spot temperature using a regular aquarium thermometer (that's all I have), and it only said 102 degrees, however I'm not sure how accurate that is. I have an infrared thermometer coming in the mail on Tuesday. I went ahead and got another basking light that's an Exo Terra 150w instead of 100w, to see if that would help raise the temp any. The basking spot is about 8" away from the lamp. The UVB bulb I'm using is the one that came with the kit, a ReptiSun 10.0 Compact Mini, should I change that to something with more watts? It's very dim compared to the basking light.

Is there any obvious things that could be causing his odd behavior? The basking temp maybe? I'm a concerned beardie mom.

Edit: Now the basking temp is too high at about 112 degrees. I lowered the ramp 2" to try to get that down to 110.

Tourmaline

Original Poster
It was definitely the basking temp, it seems. It's still rather high, I haven't managed to get it below 112 degrees, but that's better than 102 for today at least. Is there any brand that carries 125w lights? I couldn't find any in the two pet stores I went to, and I think that's the sweet spot. 100w is too weak, and 150w is too strong.

Apache is back to his normal "I must eat everything that ever lived" attitude, at least. He's actually exploring rather than just sitting on the basking ramp, even drank when I dripped water on his mouth for once instead of just staring at me judgmentally. He also ate about 30 crickets, and another waxworm (I was told he needed some fattening up, he rarely ate in the store). Now to get him to try greens... I have some Dubia Roaches on order for him, and I'm thinking about ordering Hornworms.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Tourmaline":3sfeaf09 said:
Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and I was looking for some advice. I really wish I had come here before getting a beardie.

I got a young bearded dragon (about 3 months old?) about a week ago from PetSmart. I got the 40g Zoo Med tank kit for him, along with the basics I thought I needed that weren't included in the kit (the staff wasn't much help, as the person who owns Beardies wasn't in). I got some small crickets, waxworms as a treat, ReptiSafe water conditioner, Rep-Cal Calcium and Herptivite, rocks, a ramp to act as a basking spot, and some fresh fruit and veggies. Those kits are junk, most of the stuff the come with aren't even usable sadly.

He seemed to be doing well until yesterday, he had absolutely no appetite for any crickets, not even me offering him a waxworm got him to eat. Early this morning I noticed he was a lot darker than normal, and he had extremely dark stress marks. He's also been trying to climb up the tank walls as of yesterday. He also never leaves his basking spot for more than 10 minutes. He's been like that since I brought him home, I'm not sure if that's related, but after reading up on it a bit it doesn't seem like that's normal behavior. He's still probably stressed out from his move, it's only been a week after all.

He also started shedding about 4 days ago, but it seems like it was only his tail and legs, and they already finished shedding. I give him daily 10-20 minute baths which he seems to like. He's still pooping normally, he's been going in his bath every day. He was eating well before this, about 20ish crickets a day dusted with both the calcium and herptivite, even on the first day home he ate. I've been struggling to get him to try the veggies and fruit. Today he did eat about 6 crickets and a waxworm, no veggies. The stress marks have gone away a bit since this morning but they're still there. Feed the calcium 5x a week, one of the three meals a day, then the vitamins the other 2 days.

I did check his basking spot temperature using a regular aquarium thermometer (that's all I have), and it only said 102 degrees, however I'm not sure how accurate that is. I have an infrared thermometer coming in the mail on Tuesday. I went ahead and got another basking light that's an Exo Terra 150w instead of 100w, to see if that would help raise the temp any. The basking spot is about 8" away from the lamp. The UVB bulb I'm using is the one that came with the kit, a ReptiSun 10.0 Compact Mini, should I change that to something with more watts? It's very dim compared to the basking light. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED IMMEDIATELY! You need a ReptiSun 10.0 t5, which can easily be ordered from amazon for about $20, plus a fixture, which will run about $30+. The bulb only needs to be replaced every year or so

Is there any obvious things that could be causing his odd behavior? The basking temp maybe? I'm a concerned beardie mom. Yes, once you get the new UV light in, and fix his temps, he will be much better.

Edit: Now the basking temp is too high at about 112 degrees. I lowered the ramp 2" to try to get that down to 110.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This the kit ? .... http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/starter-kits/zoo-medandtrade-reptihabitat-bearded-dragon-40-gallon-terrarium-kit-15027.html?cgid=500117
'
Contents of the kit are
Includes Large Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture,
ReptiSun 10.0 Compact UVB Fluorescent Bulb,
<<<< I believe it's a 13W Reptisun 10.0 , unfortunately this is totally inadequate as it does not have the penetrating power for the UVA and UVB to reach the basking spot ,
Recommend return the 13W REPTISUN 10.0 and exchange for a 26W UVB200 compact
and
Recommend invest in a EXO TERRA NANO HOOD in which to mount the 26W UVB200 ,
and
mount the 26W UVB200 & NANO HOOD UNDER the mesh lid , try at around a basking spot at about 8 inches from the 26W UVB200 (this will ensure the hatchling can get sufficient UVA and UVB at about 190 microW UVB / sqcm).

and Repti Basking Spot Lamp
<<< what is it's wattage ?
Contains a 12-lb bag of Reptisand to furnish habitat
<<< SAND IS A IMPACTION RISK , REMOVE IT , only good place for it is on the garden
Dual temperature/humidity gauge keeps heat consistent
<<< these gauges are so inaccurate as to be virtually worthless , you have no real idea the humidity and the temperature in the viv if this is what you are relying on
best returning it to the shop to exchange for something like :
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-LCD-Electronic-Digital-Thermometer-Fish-Tank-Water-Detector-Practica-BU/252762165947?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D6ac464a2a1b24339be32c744b2ff5cf9%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D201577608563 which are actually very good and quite accurate (within +/- 1 degC)
Combo Repti Rock food and water dish inside
Care of Bearded Dragons book
Free Natural Bearded Dragon Food,
<<<< might be OK as cricket food if its dry pellets.
Tropical Fruit Mix-In Food,
<<<< worthless
and Can O' Worms
<<< worthless , good luck getting your hatchling to eat these decicated mealworms , mealworms are very bad food choice for a hatchling anyway
Suggest returning the Tropical Fruit Mix-in Food stuff and the Can ó Worms and exchanging for something useful.

Includes
Repti Calcium,
Reptivite,
and Reptisafe Water Conditioner samples
<<< unless your water is extremely hard , this is worthless.

Tourmaline

Original Poster
I already have a 22" ReptiSun 10.0 T5 and fixture on order thanks to the other person's advice. It should be here on Tuesday.

I already replaced the 100w basking lamp that came with the kit with an Exo Terra 150w basking light due to temperature issues.

I'm using eco carpet, not the sand that came with it.

I found a digital humidity/temp gauge that I had leftover from a hermit crab habitat I had and I'm using that now. I think I accidentally threw the gauge that came with it out in the box anyway because I could never find it.

I tossed the bearded dragon food that came with the kit already, I did read up on their diets, I know it's garbage. I feed him live crickets and waxworms, and I have Dubia roaches on order for him. I am trying to get him to try greens and fruit.

It was also my understanding that chlorine in the water is bad for them? I do not use well water, so the water I use has the presence of chlorine. Is the water conditioner not necessary?

The only things I'm currently using from the kit are the tank itself, the bowls, the dome fixture, the 13w Reptisun 10.0 mini (being replaced), and I was using the sample calcium until yesterday when I purchased the Rep-Cal calcium and vitamins.

Unfortunately since it was a kit, returning any of the things that came with it is not an option and none of my money would be refunded, because it was not purchased individually.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tourmaline":219xxwv2 said:
I already have a 22" ReptiSun 10.0 T5 and fixture on order thanks to the other person's advice. It should be here on Tuesday.
<<< excellent , please mount the reflector hood and T5 10%UVB tube UNDER THE LID
That's a much better UVB then any compact.
A GOOD GUIDE FOR SETTING UP THE THERMAL AND UV GRADIENT IN A VIV.
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

t5ho_12_uvb.png

is a good idea to mount the UVB globe or one end of the UVB T8 or T5 tube, so it’s adjacent as close as you can arrange it , to the basking bulb.

I already replaced the 100w basking lamp that came with the kit with an Exo Terra 150w basking light due to temperature issues.
<<< be sure the basking temperature NEVER EXCEEDS 45 degCelsius ,
I aim for 40 - 43 degCelsius for my basking spot for ALL BEARDIES
and
warm zone 32 degCelsius
and
cool zone 28 degCelsius

You still need a good way to measure and see your temperatures at the basking spot, warm and cool zones at a glance. See digital thermometer I suggested , I use 3 of these per viv.

If its heat wave conditions , its OK to turn off the basking globe .

I found a digital humidity/temp gauge that I had leftover from a hermit crab habitat I had and I'm using that now. I think I accidentally threw the gauge that came with it out in the box anyway because I could never find it.

I tossed the bearded dragon food that came with the kit already, I did read up on their diets, I know it's garbage. I feed him live crickets and waxworms, and I have Dubia roaches on order for him. I am trying to get him to try greens and fruit.
<<< crickets and roaches are both good staple feeder insects ,
I feed my crickets (my preferred feeder insect) with RepCal adult beardie pellets (dry straight from the bottle) + carrot chunks , and gut load them with buk or puk choi greens.

Waxworms - very occasional treats ONLY.

Other better worms are
BSF maggots (Phoenix Worms in the USA) and silkworms ( a 3 month old should be large enough to hand medium sized silkworms (1.5- 2in long).

Offer greens every day , if he nibbles on them that's a bonus, be aware many hatchlings and juvenile beardies show no interest in the veg and greens. It's much more important that get lots of quality insect protein each day .
What he wont eat, give to the bugs.

At 3 months old he should be on AT LEAST three live insect feeds per day. This becomes TWO live insect feeds per day at about 6 months old.

It was also my understanding that chlorine in the water is bad for them? I do not use well water, so the water I use has the presence of chlorine. Is the water conditioner not necessary?

I use tap water , I do nothing to condition it , no problems.

The only things I'm currently using from the kit are the tank itself, the bowls, the dome fixture, the 13w Reptisun 10.0 mini (being replaced), and I was using the sample calcium until yesterday when I purchased the Rep-Cal calcium and vitamins.

Unfortunately since it was a kit, returning any of the things that came with it is not an option and none of my money would be refunded, because it was not purchased individually.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
First of all, I would like to welcome you to bearded dragon.org and to the wonderful world of bearded dragons, a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon?, Ha Ha....guess again..... Like it or not, you are now a slave, lol!

Tourmaline":lleq5y5t said:
This is a much better UVB light than any screw-in bulb on the market today. Great choice! He will love you for it.

I use a "75watt Intense Basking Spot" bulb from Exo-terra in my 4x2x2 and, it heats the viv perfectly! A 150w is a bit hot for a 40g breeder tank, heck its to hot for mine.

Yes, the carpet is better than the sand but, keep in mind, over time it will absorb moisture from poop and be a breeding ground for bacteria, not to mention the the odor factor. I have tried many substrates (cork, carpet and, sand in the beginning) but, have settled on rough textured floor tile and,
never looked back. It keeps her nails trimmed, doesn't smell or promote bacteria growth and, is super easy to sanitize in the event of an :roll: accident :roll:

Yes, these are indeed basicly worthless. It is great that you ordered an IR temp gun.
These are very accurate and will be a great help to you and, your dragon.

Be careful, wax worms are like "crack" to dragons....very addicting and have no real nutrition. Dragons will hold out and, refuse to eat, to get them. Babies and, juvies seldom eat greens at the onset, don't be alarmed.
If you are afraid of the chlorine content, buy some spring water in the gallon jug and,
keep it on hand, (that's what I do)!

Ya, I know what you mean..... It sucks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you are still worried about the chlorination of the mains / tap water
> if water contains only chlorine and not chloramine, you can let it sit for 24 hours and the chlorine will dissipate into the environment
> if water contains only chlorine and not chloramine, you can drive the chlorine off by boiling the water for 15 minutes.
> use a charcoal filter designed to strip your tap water of chlorine and chloramine, block carbon filters are necessary for effective removal.
> Chlorine and chloramine can be removed from your water by dissolving potassium metabisulfite into it. One campden tablet is enough to dechlorinate 20 gallons of tap water

All these are cheaper options than buying distilled water , or bottled "Spring" water (which is nearly always a con).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom