Characteristics of a healthy baby beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitsune

In about a week, I will be picking up my new baby beardie. I plan on using Augie and Amy's Dragon and Chameleon Room, for anyone who is in California and familiar with them.

I've seen some good guides that talk about finding a baby that is alert, doesn't have deformities, etc. Beyond that, are beardies of certain morphs and/or colorings more difficult to take care of? I've heard that silkybacks can be a little difficult, but what about leatherbacks?

Also, the tank I'm setting up is a 60 gallon (36 long 24 wide 18 high). I've read that 40 gallons is the minimum, but 48 wide is really the best. Because my tank is a little smaller I'm thinking of getting a female, as it sounds like they don't get as big. However, are females more likely to run into health problems? I have no plans to breed, but it sounds like females can still have issues with infertile eggs.

Thanks as always!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kitsune, I know you must be excited about getting your new baby. :) First thing to do is look at all the babies in the group and also the parents. Babies should be alert + active, not sleepy during the day. They should have clear eyes and no poo stains around the vent. A missing to or a tail nip that is healed is no problem as long as it's totally healed. You might ask to see the babies being fed to see how their appetites are.

Leatherbacks do not have any different requirements and are not prone to health problems any more than normal scaled dragons. Silkies are the ones that can easily develop skin problems because they have NO protective scales, just soft skin. As you mentioned, you may have to deal with egg laying if you get a female but a healthy girl will generally have no problems. I never had an eggbound female but there is always that very,very slight risk. But.....females are not always much smaller than males. :)

The newest morphs will usually be the ones that can have problems pop up so I would stay away from them. Trans. dragons used to be more prone to health problems but not so much now. Still something to consider.

Here are pics of healthy babies, I raised them years ago both normal scaled + leatherback.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30020/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29865/full

Kitsune

Original Poster
Oh my God those pictures are cute!!! I love the way they're all looking up at the camera in the exact same way.

Thanks for the thoughts on morphs. And yes, I'm extremely excited!!! I've had the enclosure since May, but I've been waiting until I finished my mid-July vacation to actually pick out a beardie. I figured they need a *lot* of care when they're young, and I didn't want to ask someone to stop by twice a day for feeding.

My background in lizards comes from leopard geckos (I have a four year old female), where some morphs are prone to health issues. For my beardie I'll try to stick to an established morph when it comes time to purchase.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
2afbq6o.gif

Peppa

2m4wrq9.gif

Toothless (he's leatherback and he's always been a real livewire).

Both at 3 months old.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kitsune":ve8e7qpj said:
In about a week, I will be picking up my new baby beardie. I plan on using Augie and Amy's Dragon and Chameleon Room, for anyone who is in California and familiar with them.

I've seen some good guides that talk about finding a baby that is alert, doesn't have deformities, etc. Beyond that, are beardies of certain morphs and/or colorings more difficult to take care of? I've heard that silkybacks can be a little difficult, but what about leatherbacks?

Also, the tank I'm setting up is a 60 gallon (36 long 24 wide 18 high).
<<<< that's a very good size to start ONE off in , will eventually be needing a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft for it's forever home as an adult .

I've read that 40 gallons is the minimum, but 48 wide is really the best. Because my tank is a little smaller I'm thinking of getting a female, as it sounds like they don't get as big.
<<< Maybe you need to see my thread about Peppa and Toothless , my Peppa is just shy of 24in long and just on 700g , whereas her bother is somewhat shorter and nearly 200g lighter , exact same husbandry almost to the insect per day .... see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=221328&start=30

The girls can be bigger than the boys !

However, are females more likely to run into health problems? I have no plans to breed, but it sounds like females can still have issues with infertile eggs.

Thanks as always!

Kitsune

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":eso0fuln said:
Kitsune":eso0fuln said:

Also, the tank I'm setting up is a 60 gallon (36 long 24 wide 18 high).
<<<< that's a very good size to start ONE off in , will eventually be needing a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft for it's forever home as an adult .

I've read that 40 gallons is the minimum, but 48 wide is really the best. Because my tank is a little smaller I'm thinking of getting a female, as it sounds like they don't get as big.
<<< Maybe you need to see my thread about Peppa and Toothless , my Peppa is just shy of 24in long and just on 700g , whereas her bother is somewhat shorter and nearly 200g lighter , exact same husbandry almost to the insect per day .... see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=221328&start=30

The girls can be bigger than the boys !

However, are females more likely to run into health problems? I have no plans to breed, but it sounds like females can still have issues with infertile eggs.

Thanks as always!

I'm open to upgrading to a 4 foot long tank within a few years - I'm hoping my current setup will be good for at least two or so years. After that, well, maybe the leopard gecko would enjoy a second-hand mansion!

Thanks for the info about sizing and sex - sounds like it depends more on the dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom