Starting brumation, during summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I adopted a 2 year old beardie a few months ago named "Smaug". Iv never seen him brumate so this is fairly new to me. I did research and saw videos about this to make sure I am prepare. So let me tell you my plan and can you guys add/remove ideas from my plan? Is it a good plan? etc.

So this morning, instead of waking up as usual around 8-9 am, he instead only opened his eyes when I woke up and saw him, and went back to sleep. Then two more hours, and he is still sleeping, at this point I turned on his lights, and kept it at a good 80-85F maybe 90F? and put a blanket over him.fast forward to now, 5 hours later, and he is still chilling under the blanket, and still asleep but once he felt my presence he opened his eyes a little bit, and for a little bit of time, then back again to ZzZz. So ok at this point im preeeetty sure its brumation, I'm gonna miss him, but I will take care of him during this process. Every time I check on him (eveyr 3 or so hours), he opens his eyes, I just want to make sure he is not dead haha, and if he is still sleeping. But he hasent moved from his comfy sleeping spot so Im just gonna let him be for the rest of the day. At night when lights go off for usual sleeping, gonna check on him and if he is still sleepy, lights will remain off during the morning and until brumation ends? I gave him fresh salad, im planning on doing every day. Every 4-5 days im going to bathe him and be extra careful of course, and once in a while if hes eyes are open, offer him a worm or a cricket, and see if he wants to it.

So is all of this good? Am i handling it good? Any advice, critique, suggestions are ALL welcomed. I only want the best for my Smaug :)

Oh and by the way, im from Thousand Oaks, Southern California. 2 hours north of San Diego

BIG EDIT AND UPDATE: Uuuhh So my Smaug just popped out of his blankie and went directly to his basking spot..like he just had a VERY good night sleep? haha

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It isn't all that uncommon for them to brumate in the summer, really. I have a male who has done
that for years. LOL
Is he of healthy weight currently?
Which UVB are you using for Smaug?
It could also be that he just wanted to sleep a little bit also. It definitely doesn't hurt for him
to sleep in from time to time either, if he is apparently healthy. :D
So he decided to get up & bask today?

Tracie

starshooter123

Original Poster
Drache613":87uet8pk said:
Hello,

It isn't all that uncommon for them to brumate in the summer, really. I have a male who has done
that for years. LOL
Is he of healthy weight currently?
Which UVB are you using for Smaug?
It could also be that he just wanted to sleep a little bit also. It definitely doesn't hurt for him
to sleep in from time to time either, if he is apparently healthy. :D
So he decided to get up & bask today?

Tracie

Healthy weight, havent take him to the vet in over 6 months, but seems pretty healthy to me. Weight on my hands is good as have been in the past months, doesnt have skinny arms or tummy.
Cant remember the exact UVB, its like 3 months old, so not far from being due, but I remember it cost me like 14 dlls. He has a cool side on his tank, and a hot, and if he climbs he has his nice basking spot.
I'm just an overthinking, worried owner all the time xD I love my beardie. Yeah we was asleep and seemed tired but then in the middle of the day/afternoon he just stepped out of his cave and directly to his basking spot haha.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear his weight is maintaining.
If the UVB light only cost $14 then it may not be a very good one. I would recommend trying
to look on the base of the bulb to see what the brand is. My guess is that it's going to be Zilla
or All Living Things (same thing) or maybe Exoterra reptiglo. The two better bulbs are either
the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12%.
So, it is probably some slow down, as that is common, but maybe consider changing out his
light to a better one just to rule out any potential calcium problems.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom