Lizzy Recovery: Arm dragging which was severe sprain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
88187-4377310700.jpg
Hi Everyone! Firstly, thank you for the support, advice and well wishes. This forum has seen Lizzy through a lot of ups and downs and I'm grateful for it!

So this is day one back from vet and as you can see her vivarium looks quite different.
1. No climbing furniture
2. No sharp surfaces
3. No tile or slippery bits
4. All surfaces are covered with toweling and grippable surfaces.
5. Her area has been moved closer together.

For those of you who may not know, all this was done to make sure that Lizzy moves as little as possible, as easily as possible, and as comfortably as possibly.

The only exception to the upward climb is the pink limb in the foreground. It ensures Lizzy is able to get access to her uvb as she likes to do. It's merely a brick wrapped tightly in a terry towel and angled to get her within 6 to 8 inches of her uvb source. The climb is slow and very gribbable.

So, Lizzy is very slow this morning. She still has her arm tucked back but when I got her under her basking spot she did move it forward. Her happy colors are already coming on and she lifted her head high for misting which is a great sign. The box she uses as a hide has actually been a massive bonus in moving her. Because I keep a tee or blanket in it she can be gently and carefully moved from it when she's needed to be. So something I felt slightly embarrassed about before has turned out to be a blessing in a disguise.

We will be going outside for some California sun this afternoon since I don't see her moving much today, and I don't want her getting any uvb deficiency issues while she heals ;) pics to follow!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks good ! Make sure non of the towels have loos loops of thread that snag her nails.....other than that it's a good set up.

Be carefiu outside [ I know you will be but I can't help myself ] Look forward to new pics + to hear how she does outside. :)

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol AHBD, I know hon, you just don't want any more trouble. I'm always very careful with her outside. She is either on my lap or just next to me in a sunny spot. She's not really a fan of the great outdoors so if her beard goes dark or she looks distressed at all I'm going to just pop her in her favorite sunning window with walls to keep her from climbing down. ;) Ill be close by watching so she will be safe

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
no pics today (still day 1) Lizzy went back into her box when I tried to tempt her with some butternut squash ? I didn't have the heart to bring her out when she was really nestled in tight into the back of the hide. I did gently slide her out this evening to wrap her in her blanky. Tomorrow starts waking up with warmness and baby food I guess. She still has that arm tucked right back as expected. Easy does it and baby steps. ;)

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
88187-1614100742.jpg
Good morning Lizzy! She had disengaged herself from her blanky, I had to carefully readjust her onto her basking tee (everything soft for the moment) she had somehow managed to pile it six inches closer to her basking lamp! Not on purpose but a burnt Lizzy is not on the menu! ?

She's been misted (normal routine) and I've given her calcium drops which she happily licked up. Normally about this time as she's been up for about 45 mins, she gets to move onto my headboard to her alternate basking site which she loves. However, she seemed unhappy at the little bit of handling to adjust her blanket so for now I'll give her a couple more hours to wake up before I offer her some live dusted food. ?

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No joy in getting Lizzy to eat today. Mixed some calcd3 with squash babyfood. She took very little and not very happily. This is four days of not eating so not really happy about that. May call vet tomorrow and see if I can get some over the phone advice. She was agitated and wiggly on her bad leg while I was giving her baby food on her nose so grrr.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In her condition she may not eat much for a while. What are her fave insects ? Have you tried hornworms ? Since she likes calcium drops , whatever flavor it is try to make a smoothie that is based on the flavor. Put some different fruits + veggies in , experiment a bit if you have to. And let her sit however she likes while being fed rather than adjusting her position [ if that's what you were doing ]

Hopefully she'll be up for some grub pretty soon.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can't say what's her favorite, superworms when she's hungry. I've tried hornworms. She looks at me like I'm insane. She didn't exactly go wild for silks the few times I've bought them which surprised me. She used to love her roaches. And still does does... again when she's "in the mood" lol having said all that, as I discovered in a recent post I was feeding her too much. When she's hungry, she gobbles up. But salads . She's gotten better but mostly was just tossing them around. But I'll probably revert back to her roach worm and swuash/applesauce smoothies. She took those during the three months I had to hand feed her.
Btw, I only was holding her cause was shaking her head like crazy when I dropped a bit on her snout. She usually settles if I've got her comfy all grippyfied on my arm and she can lean against me but yr probably right, the arm is just too sore now. She did spend more than half the day out of the hide today ;) and her leg was forward a couple times too. She's tucked in for the night now and it's all wonky backward and the other under her chin like a dog lol. Trying to to disturb her a lot, unless she's moved forward toward the glass that says she wants out.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think it's jst a matter of time and she'll have her appetite back and her leg will be feeling better. She probably knows how to hold it to make it comfortable so just follow her lead. And that smoothie recipe sound good, pop a few drops of raw honey in it and some bee pollen if you can get some [ bee pollen optional,just for a few extra nutrients ]

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How often are you giving her pain-relief injections ?

....- when George broke his arm I had to give him an injection every other day , didn't enjoy the needle in the back (just under the skink) but was lots more comfy after.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will do that AHBD, need to hit health store for pollen and raw honey tho :) Nobby, we weren't sent home with any pain meds. Aside from the obvious slowness and favoring, she isn't exhibiting a lot of dark beard or tail. I had asked the vet and the injections they gave her were supposed to last so no. And please remember, I'm not dealing with a break ... thank goodness. Yr poor George had a tough time a bet.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
88187-5199889177.jpg
Day... well it's Thursday and shoulder sprain happened on Sunday lol. So #5!
It's 7:32 am and her light comes on at 7 am. When I popped in to look in on her at 10 past she was already out of her blanky (wow). Could be the early tuck ins she's been having lol. She looked like she was going up to her uvb instead of basking area, but when she saw me come in she hobbled straight up to the glass. So out she came with me and the above pic is her on my headboard setup, uvb and heat lamp lol. It's been our morning routine since she was a little one, tho usually a bit later in the morning. As you can see her color is pretty good for half hour into her day and HER RIGHT LEG IS FORWARD FACING!

I've had to put my lab out tho, she's very sensitive about her coming and going in the room. But that makes sense as she's injured so she feels very vulnerable no doubt. They arent friends anyway, I never trust them alone together.

So, health food run I so hope I can get bee pollen there tho I have my doubts. We have a Sprouts nearby and that's a chance cause they carry a lot of crazy stuff in their health section. Lol
Hugs to all from Lizzy and me... I'm not convinced this is only going to take two weeks to heal lol ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It all sounds good....progress so far every day. Whether it be 2 weeks or more the trend is good so far. :)

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I feel that way too AHBD, a little less time in the hide, a little less time with the arm tucked all the way back. I just put her back in her viv, under her uvb (she's usually there after basking awhile) she's happily perched there and her beard is bright white so she seems very comfortable to me at the moment ;). I've taken to moving her around stop her folded up fleece blanket. It's soft and provides a stablish surface with less impact on her than actually handling her in my opinion. I've just folded up four or five and put them on her favorite stopping places lol. Presto, instant disabled lift ?

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
88187-8025923036.jpg
10:50 at Day 5
This warms my heart: had to get my elderly mom some meds, returned home to this wonderful view of Lizzy; happily and proudly perched beneath her uvb, no darkness, and even a bit of sloppy salad on the floor.
I had caught her atop her box at around 9:15 am... back legs hanging off... I was upset when I had seen her up there; then I realized she was evading the biggest beardie poop I'd ever seen! Where did it come from with no food in four days. Apparently she's been eating on the sly! Harrumph!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom