Pinworms and coccidia advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some advice.
I got my Jubsie a fecal test done, which came back with moderate levels of pinworms and coccidia, and a modified McMaster pinworm count of 2850 EPG (apparently eggs per gram).

The vet has decided against treatment as she is still gaining a bit of weight.

Thing is Jubsie isn't eating that much, she'll go days only eating a few bits of veg, eat 3 boxes of locusts, then not eat again. Her poo, while not watery, isn't formed but is more if a cow pat shape, and it seems to hurt her to try.

Should I stick with the vets opinion or should I try some medication ? There are no other reptile vets in the county that will deal with bearded dragons, so I'm having difficulty getting a second opinion.

Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks :)

Extra info
Jubsie - 11 months old, 471g, ~16"

Tank - 4*2*2 feet,
basking 40°C, hot end 32-38°C, cool end 24°C
1 Month old Arcadia 12%
Substrate is tiles

Is offered locusts 3 times a day atm, and always has a supply of veg available, which she picks at. I have also offered Dubai roaches, silk worms, super worms, and a cricket, none of which she took :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not uncommon for vets to recommend against treatment if parasite count is low, especially with pinworms. They can often fight those off on their own after a while. If she is seeing negative effects from it such as lack of appetite or lethargy then treatment might be warranted but I'd defer to the judgement of the vet. At 471g she is probably not in any immediate danger due to not eating as much. I would offer her plenty of water via drops on her nose to ensure she stays well hydrated, especially if she has watery poop. I would also be sure to sanitize everything very well. Coccidia can be tough to get rid of and you need to attack it with ammonia/water mixture or a steam cleaner. Use one of those on any surface that she poops on as quickly afterward as you can. If you can keep everything sanitized well it will reduce the chances of her becoming reinfected as she fights them off on her own. If things don't start to improve after a few weeks I would ask the vet to reconsider treatment options which tend to be pretty effective.

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Cooper, thank you very much for the advice. I'm using disinfectant daily, and have reduced her cage furniture down to the bare minimum, which made her a bit grumpy lol :D
Would it be worth getting any probiotics or something to help her tummy, or are they not much help?
She still has all her fat pads, she just seems a bit down in herself, along with the not eating, I just want to see he back to normal! Xx

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Looks like she may be improving, she ate another 2 boxes if locusts today, and the poo she did had the casing(?) Back, it was still sort of segmented but not like a watery mess it has been :D hopefully she'll keep improving like this x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom