Bearded Dragon Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexa1021

I might be getting a bearded dragon from my local reptile rescue in a month or so, and I have come across a lot of conflicting beardie care. I was wondering if all of this is correct:

Average lifespan: 8-12 years
Hibernation- do NOT wake a bearded dragon up from hibernation. Hibernation lasts from 1 week-6 months
Feeding:
Need to be fed more vegetables than insects as adults
Insects- crickets, hornworms, superworms, roaches
Vegetables- carrots, squash, cucumbers
Fruits (are)-Apples, berries, melon, bananas
Don't feed lettuce, spinach, fireflies, and avocados
Spray water and calcium on veggies
Calcium- fluker’s calcium AND fluker’s calcium with D3 on food
Don't feed freeze dried insects

Housing:
40 gallon breeder
Water bowl
Put basking rock or log on hot side
Hideout hut

Heating:
Lights: UV light-UVA+UVB-change every 6 months AND heat lamp (on one side of tank)

Probably the care that I have been most confused about has been the cage size and the whole hibernation thing. Help would be greatly appreciated :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Lexa....a 40 gallon is pretty small for a beardie but as long as they get some out of the tank time regularly it's O.K

I've had many beardies brumate over the past 20 some years. I did not wake them but if they were nearing the 3 month mark then I did. At that point I would turn all the lights on + they would come out of it. A beardie really should never brumate for 6 months, it's very, very long to go without nutrition and the benefits of uvb and heat. Two-3 months is a good long sleep and if the dragon seems awake part of the time you can offer water dripped on the snout for a drink, mop up any excess [ make sure none puddles under the dragon, you want them to be dry ]

And I wanted to mention that the foods you have on the " do not feed " list are correct but for different reasons. Fireflies are deadly toxic and avocado is slightly, but spinach is harmless in small amounts, it's just not a good staple and is generally avoided.

lexa1021

Original Poster
AHBD":39mumktp said:
Hi Lexa....a 40 gallon is pretty small for a beardie but as long as they get some out of the tank time regularly it's O.K

I've had many beardies brumate over the past 20 some years. I did not wake them but if they were nearing the 3 month mark then I did. At that point I would turn all the lights on + they would come out of it. A beardie really should never brumate for 6 months, it's very, very long to go without nutrition and the benefits of uvb and heat. Two-3 months is a good long sleep and if the dragon seems awake part of the time you can offer water dripped on the snout for a drink, mop up any excess [ make sure none puddles under the dragon, you want them to be dry ]

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'll write all of that down!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) It may seem scary to see them conked out for a long time but a healthy adult dragon of good weight has no problem because it's a natural behavior for them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
lexa1021":2ltbgdxw said:
AHBD":2ltbgdxw said:

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'll write all of that down!

In fact it's entirely unnecessary for a pet bearded dragon (or any other pet lizard) to brumate at all , none of my skinks or beardies have ever shown any desire to go down for a long rest , they do slow down a bit though but are all up and basking every day and still like their food and still want to come out for snuggles and fun.

There is a belief that is held by breeders that it's beneficial for the boys to have a break (brumate) as it increases their sperm quality and productivity , and it helps the girls rest up before mating.

Brumation is an evolutionary response to colder days of ectothermic reptiles, the long dry season (winter) and a huge decline in the availability of insects, herbs and fruits during this period (when the plants die off and dry out).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Many beardies will brumate, or will simply try to or will slow down + become much less active [ usually if the temps. do not fluctuate too much during change of seasons and how the temps. change even in your home depending on where you live may dictate the degree + length of " sleepiness " ] But if a beardie wants to brumate it's perfectly natural and most owners have questions about it. Nearly all my dragons go through some brumation behavior during the winter. They sense the change and do what comes natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom