Too many eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenlovestattoos

Hello! My beardies name is Willow and she is super loved! I am concerned because my little lady is laying on average 2 to 3 clutches a year of infertile eggs. Since I've had her for 3 years that's 6-9 since she became part of our family! She's about 4 years old and I think having so many eggs is taking its toll. She lays them faster than she did when she was younger but she seems to stay tired for longer periods of time with each clutch and doesn't eat for about 2 days prior to the laying. Here's some information:
She is the only pet in our home
When she is on my chest her tail reaches down to my thigh (I'm 5'4)
We have a ceramic basking lamp and from 6am to 9pm her UVB/UVA light is on (we try hard to keep her on a schedule)
Her hot side is about 105 degrees but we do often find her regulating. Her cool side is on average around 80 degrees.
She eats crickets,greens, LOVES apples (without the peel), sometimes likes cucumbers and tomatoes (only a couple of pieces every couple of weeks), LOVES super worms and nothing stands in between her and horn worms (She eats other stuff but these are her daily food). I coat the crickets and super worms with calcium and she's learned the spray bottle gives her water if she wants it so if she licks it she gets a spray down. She rarely drinks from a bowl but does so every once in a while.
She also gets a bath about every 3 days which last anywhere from 5 min (when all she does is try to climb out of the tub) to 30 min (when shes swimming around or starts to fall asleep).
She absolutely loves snuggles and we think we can tell when she either is "with egg" or is going to be based on how she snuggles...when she sits verticle on my cheek and hugs my face we think that's when she has or is making eggs.
So my concern is why is she laying so many eggs? There is no male around. I've read that after one or 2 clutches of infertile eggs they won't have anymore but that's not the case with Willow. What are the risks of her getting egg bound the older she gets? Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Someone said I love on her to much because I'm always holding and kissing on her. She's just very much adored in our home. Does anyone else have this issue and have any suggestions? I just don't want having too many eggs to hurt her in any way. Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jenn....it does sound like a Willow is a very loved dragon. :) The amount of eggs she's laying is actually on the low side, many dragons lay between 4-5 a year. All my females I had in the past laid an average of 5-6 clutches a year with between 22-all the way up to 39 eggs in one clutch. It's perfectly normal for them to stop eating a few days before.....most beardies will never eat a day or 2 before laying, sometimes as long as 4-5 days before . Just feed her well, use a bit more calcium supplements around egg laying time and carry on as usual. She should be fine. :)

Jenlovestattoos

Original Poster
Thank you so much AHBD! I was really worried that she was laying excessive amounts of eggs. Today she's having a treat of apples and total bites for her hard work (she laid 32 eggs last night) and she's cuddled up to me. I appreciate your response! Sometimes on Google you just get too many different answers. Do you think her egg laying will slow down over time?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, another clutch just laid, she does deserve some pampering. :) Some good choices for veggies [ veg is better than fruit ] are greens like collard, mustard, turnip, dandelion, arugula, endive and even clover leaf from your yard if you have it.

There's no way to tell how many years she'll lay for sure or how many eggs. Hopefully she won't stress you too much. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom