Lethargic & losing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, Ripley is a year and 3 months old. For the past 2 weeks, she's been lethargic just kind of laying there and not eating much at all. Last month in the beginning of may I thought she might have had infertile eggs because she was glass dancing and turning her enclosure upside down. I brought her to the vet on April 28th to get an Xray to be sure and she did not have eggs but the vet did say she was ovulating and her behavior was due to hormones. He said she looked good, bone density was also good. I take it that she was going through "Spring fever" as this is the first summer she is an adult ( I got her last April). the first 2 weeks of may she was constantly glass dancing and extremely active, leaving little poops around everywhere, I made her a lay box with play sand just incase she developed eggs and she never took an interest to the lay box. during this time she didn't eat much but was having normal bowel movements. Now all of a sudden shes very lethargic just laying there, in the morning she doesn't go to her basking rock and her back legs seems to be weak. shes not really walking around or interested in food, although when I give her water from a syringe she drinks ALOT, She's still having bowel movements. Could she be eggbound? I'm worried about that, she is also about to go through a HUGE shed which could also be it but I'm not sure. She hasn't had a big shed in a few months, especially her body and belly. Now she's all gray from her head, belly, back, feet and hands. She's also lost some weight, here are the weights I've randomly recorded:
4/26 -525g (glass dancing)
4/27- 518g
4/28- Vet visit, XRAY done - no eggs
87863-9169984841.jpg
5/4- 503g
5/17- 499g
6/9- 496g
6/12- started becoming lethargic and less active
6/22 today - 469g

so from the spring fever till now her appetite has been poor, she occasional eats a dubia if I hold it out in front of her but she has not ate on her own out of her bowls. She's still alert and looks around but does not move around her enclosure or even when I let her out she kind of just lays there, it looks like her back legs are weak but I'm thinking she cant have MBD since she just had an xray and the vet said bone density was good can she? When I put her in a bath she does move her back legs around trying to get out, I do see her get up once in awhile. Today she got up and moved around a bit to rub her shed off but shes gotten me very worried. She also goes under her log alot which she never did before, goes to sleep early and wakes up late, Here are the things that are going through my head... eggbound? MBD? injury to the legs? Shedding behavior? sick? brumation?? here are a few pics of her today
87863-888570995.jpg
87863-7446995191.jpg
87863-7383169019.jpg
87863-1233777902.jpg
87863-7725305324.jpg

her diet: mustard greens, turnip greens, escarole, collard greens, blueberries occasional, squash, green beans (although she rarely eats her greens, she prefers her bugs)
Protein: Dubias are her staple and occasional supers, hornworms, BSFL

Enclosure:
-40G tank,Slate tiles for flooring
-ReptiSun 10.0 T5 mounted inside the tank with reflector
50w flood light for basking, basking temps are 99-105, warm side 86-92 cool side 78-85
I use a thermal digital temp gun to measure temps, I also have a solarmeter to measure her UVI to test the UVB bulbs, she gets calcium dusted on her bugs and a multivitamin twice a week but she hasnt been eating =/
I'm not sure what's going on with her, I'm hoping its because of the shedding. She literally just went under her log but came back out and is gaping with her mouth open. Always sagging her belly and lower part of her body, just last month she was doing laps around my apt and running back and fourth in her enclosure =[ any thoughts??

Mysty

Juvie Member
She could be unwell due to a high parasite load. A feacal test sent to a lab by post or at the vets can identify whether she has parasites which need treatmebt.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Ripley1015":1q5xxmrw said:
Hi everyone, Ripley is a year and 3 months old. For the past 2 weeks, she's been lethargic just kind of laying there and not eating much at all. Last month in the beginning of may I thought she might have had infertile eggs because she was glass dancing and turning her enclosure upside down. I brought her to the vet on April 28th to get an Xray to be sure and she did not have eggs but the vet did say she was ovulating and her behavior was due to hormones. He said she looked good, bone density was also good. I take it that she was going through "Spring fever" as this is the first summer she is an adult ( I got her last April). the first 2 weeks of may she was constantly glass dancing and extremely active, leaving little poops around everywhere, I made her a lay box with play sand just incase she developed eggs and she never took an interest to the lay box. during this time she didn't eat much but was having normal bowel movements. Now all of a sudden shes very lethargic just laying there, in the morning she doesn't go to her basking rock and her back legs seems to be weak. shes not really walking around or interested in food, although when I give her water from a syringe she drinks ALOT, She's still having bowel movements. Could she be eggbound? I'm worried about that, she is also about to go through a HUGE shed which could also be it but I'm not sure. She hasn't had a big shed in a few months, especially her body and belly. Now she's all gray from her head, belly, back, feet and hands. She's also lost some weight, here are the weights I've randomly recorded:
4/27- 518g
87863-9169984841.jpg
5/4- 503g
5/17- 499g
6/9- 496g
6/22 today - 469g

so from the spring fever till now her appetite has been poor, she occasional eats a dubia if I hold it out in front of her but she has not ate on her own out of her bowls. She's still alert and looks around but does not move around her enclosure or even when I let her out she kind of just lays there, it looks like her back legs are weak but I'm thinking she cant have MBD since she just had an xray and the vet said bone density was good can she? When I put her in a bath she does move her back legs around trying to get out, I do see her get up once in awhile. Today she got up and moved around a bit to rub her shed off but shes gotten me very worried. She also goes under her log alot which she never did before, goes to sleep early and wakes up late, Here are the things that are going through my head... eggbound? MBD? injury to the legs? Shedding behavior? sick? brumation?? here are a few pics of her today
87863-888570995.jpg
87863-7446995191.jpg
87863-7383169019.jpg
87863-1233777902.jpg
87863-7725305324.jpg

her diet: mustard greens, turnip greens, escarole, collard greens, blueberries occasional, squash, green beans (although she rarely eats her greens, she prefers her bugs)

Enclosure:
50w flood light for basking, basking temps are 99-105, warm side 86-92 cool side 78-85
I use a thermal digital temp gun to measure temps, I also have a solarmeter to measure her UVI to test the UVB bulbs, she gets calcium dusted on her bugs and a multivitamin twice a week but she hasnt been eating =/
I'm not sure what's going on with her, I'm hoping its because of the shedding. She literally just went under her log but came back out and is gaping with her mouth open. Always sagging her belly and lower part of her body, just last month she was doing laps around my apt and running back and fourth in her enclosure =[ any thoughts??

I know my dragon has been hiding as well, come outs every few days or I take him out every few days of hiding. Mine doesnt really eat on his own either I handfeed everyday to make sure he gets bugs and salad. Mine been like this since April as well used to eat on his own and I usually handfed him too but now being lazy! I know theres nothing wrong with him because when I take him outside he runs like the dickens!
If you are concern about her weight maybe handfeed her everyday and see if her weight will increase.
Like someone suggested might be a parasite as well...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How old is the UVB tube ? was it installed longer than 6 months ago ?

If it's older than 6 months old, I strongly recommend installing a new uvb tube rated at least 12%UVB.

Can she get inside 10inches from the UVB tube ? if not , can you add a UVB basking spot that will let her get to maybe 8 inches from the uvb tube so she can get a really good dose of BOTH UVA and UVB.
too far and the UVA and UVB WILL BE TOO DILUTE.
UVA FLUX TOO LOW where dragon is ==> a very lethargic dragon w/ a very poor apetite just in the short term , and neurological problems if this persists , not to mention MVB if UVB flux too low long enough with inadequate metabolisation of dietary calcium or inadequate intake out calcium

guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

and
t5ho_12_uvb.png

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
nathb1":ws9j4zn2 said:
Ripley1015":ws9j4zn2 said:
Hi everyone, Ripley is a year and 3 months old. I'm worried about that, she is also about to go through a HUGE shed which could also be it but I'm not sure. She hasn't had a big shed in a few months, especially her body and belly.
Now she's all gray from her head, belly, back, feet and hands. She's also lost some weight, here are the weights I've randomly recorded:
4/27- 518g
87863-9169984841.jpg
5/4- 503g
5/17- 499g
6/9- 496g
6/22 today - 469g

<<< as larger juveniles and adults , they can easily poo away 30g in one big poo.

I think your beardie is just slowing down - becoming an adult and perhaps your UVB tube is too old and no longer producing sufficient UVA and UVB , and performing more like a UVB5.0 or even a UVB2.0 now.

87863-1233777902.jpg
87863-7725305324.jpg

<<<< setup looks OK , can you tell us the size of the viv L x W x H .

Enclosure:

I know my dragon has been hiding as well, come outs every few days or I take him out every few days of hiding. Mine doesnt really eat on his own either I handfeed everyday to make sure he gets bugs and salad. Mine been like this since April as well used to eat on his own and I usually handfed him too but now being lazy! I know theres nothing wrong with him because when I take him outside he runs like the dickens!
If you are concern about her weight maybe handfeed her everyday and see if her weight will increase.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this. As already stated they can lose 20g-30g from a large bowel movement, so even though she has lost a bit of weight I'm not as concerned about that as I am the lack of appetite and especially the lack of use of her back legs. You cannot attribute weak or partially paralyzed back legs to parasites or brumation, and that's what I think you need to focus on. All of her other symptoms can be explained away as just slowing down as she is becoming as adult, hormonal behavior, parasites, a bacterial infection, etc. but not the weak back legs.

Is she actually dragging her back legs? It also appears like she has a bit of a black beard in one of the photos? If so, that's indicative of pain or discomfort. You said her bowel movements are normal (and she has no loose substrates and looks to be well hydrated), when she does go does she strain at all to poop or have any difficulty? Impaction is a common cause of suddenly weak back legs as the fecal matter pushes on the spinal column, but again that isn't her problem. So we have to move on to the other two common causes of her symptoms including the weak back legs or dragging back legs and a black beard, and they are MBD and egg-binding. Her x-ray shows very good bone density in my opinion, and she's got a great UVB light and is properly supplemented, and has a good diet. You said a Reptisun 10.0 T5, as in the High-Output tube UVB? And it's mounted inside her enclosure and has a reflector. Is there any type of clear, plastic cover over the light? I'd have to say that MBD seems highly unlikely too.

I have a lot of experience with egg-binding in birds, as I bred several species of parrots for over 20 years, and it's both a tricky and fatal condition, and in bearded dragons it's not uncommon for the eggs to not show up on an x-ray if it's early (follicles will not show up at all), in fact I've seen and read of many cases of egg-binding where an x-ray was done and showed nothing at all. And her x-ray was 2 months ago, correct? Granted they usually do try to lay when they are egg-bound, but not necessarily. If she does have a black beard, as it appears that she does in the photo above, and she's not eating and lethargic, combined with the loss of the use of her back legs, I'd be very concerned about infertile eggs. Yes shedding can cause a lot of stress and discomfort but I've never heard of it weakening their back legs.

If it's been 2 months since she had the x-ray done (and I can only tell you my opinion and what I would do), I would take her back to the same vet, if that vet is a certified reptile vet with bearded dragon experience, and if not then I'd find the nearest board certified reptile vet and take her, and request a repeat x-ray based on the weak back legs (did she have the weak back legs when the first x-ray was done?), and if the x-ray shows eggs then you know immediately what the problem is. If not, then I'd request blood work to check her White Cell count (rule out Infection), blood calcium levels (MBD), uric acid levels (gout), etc. It's good to have a complete blood panel done anyway if she's never had it, at least you'll then have a baseline to compare to in the future, but it will also rule a lot out. In the meantime I'd put a basking lamp over the laybox you made (playsand wetted down but not damp), start digging a tunnel for her, then put her in it for an hour or two each day and see if she might be tempted to use it. If she's in pain she may be too weak physically to want to do it, hence the egg-binding. It's just my opinion, but the weakened/dragging back legs, the black beard, and the lethargy combined with her age all point to a clutch of infertile eggs pushing on her spinal column.

If she

Ripley1015

Original Poster
nathb1":7w1i5tt5 said:
Ripley1015":7w1i5tt5 said:
4/27- 518g
87863-9169984841.jpg
5/4- 503g
5/17- 499g
6/9- 496g
6/22 today - 469g

87863-888570995.jpg
87863-7446995191.jpg
87863-7383169019.jpg
87863-1233777902.jpg
87863-7725305324.jpg

Enclosure:

Thank you , yeah I am def waiting for her to poop again so that I can bring the sample to the vets to rule it out. Thank you for your response!

Ripley1015

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3f2gxkp3 said:
How old is the UVB tube ? was it installed longer than 6 months ago ?

If it's older than 6 months old, I strongly recommend installing a new uvb tube rated at least 12%UVB.

Can she get inside 10inches from the UVB tube ? if not , can you add a UVB basking spot that will let her get to maybe 8 inches from the uvb tube so she can get a really good dose of BOTH UVA and UVB.
too far and the UVA and UVB WILL BE TOO DILUTE.
UVA FLUX TOO LOW where dragon is ==> a very lethargic dragon w/ a very poor apetite just in the short term , and neurological problems if this persists , not to mention MVB if UVB flux too low long enough with inadequate metabolisation of dietary calcium or inadequate intake out calcium

guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

and
t5ho_12_uvb.png

Her UVB tube is approaching the 6month mark but I also Own a solarmeter 6.1 that measures UVI to make sure the Bulbs are working and putting adequate UVB out, her UVB is a reptisun 10.0 T5 HO and it also has a reflector which is why I lower the basking spot because it puts out a lot of UVB, I just ordered a new bulb anyway and is awaiting for it to be shipped to my house and will replace the bulb, thanks!

Ripley1015

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2fh43qaw said:
nathb1":2fh43qaw said:
Ripley1015":2fh43qaw said:
Hi everyone, Ripley is a year and 3 months old. I'm worried about that, she is also about to go through a HUGE shed which could also be it but I'm not sure. She hasn't had a big shed in a few months, especially her body and belly.
Now she's all gray from her head, belly, back, feet and hands. She's also lost some weight, here are the weights I've randomly recorded:
4/27- 518g
87863-9169984841.jpg
5/4- 503g
5/17- 499g
6/9- 496g
6/22 today - 469g

<<< as larger juveniles and adults , they can easily poo away 30g in one big poo.

I think your beardie is just slowing down - becoming an adult and perhaps your UVB tube is too old and no longer producing sufficient UVA and UVB , and performing more like a UVB5.0 or even a UVB2.0 now.

87863-1233777902.jpg
87863-7725305324.jpg

<<<< setup looks OK , can you tell us the size of the viv L x W x H .

Enclosure:

Her Viv is a 40G breeder with front opening doors, I believe the measurements are 36x18x16

Ripley1015

Original Poster
EllenD":1xqmjbwn said:
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this. As already stated they can lose 20g-30g from a large bowel movement, so even though she has lost a bit of weight I'm not as concerned about that as I am the lack of appetite and especially the lack of use of her back legs. You cannot attribute weak or partially paralyzed back legs to parasites or brumation, and that's what I think you need to focus on. All of her other symptoms can be explained away as just slowing down as she is becoming as adult, hormonal behavior, parasites, a bacterial infection, etc. but not the weak back legs.

Is she actually dragging her back legs? It also appears like she has a bit of a black beard in one of the photos? If so, that's indicative of pain or discomfort. You said her bowel movements are normal (and she has no loose substrates and looks to be well hydrated), when she does go does she strain at all to poop or have any difficulty? Impaction is a common cause of suddenly weak back legs as the fecal matter pushes on the spinal column, but again that isn't her problem. So we have to move on to the other two common causes of her symptoms including the weak back legs or dragging back legs and a black beard, and they are MBD and egg-binding. Her x-ray shows very good bone density in my opinion, and she's got a great UVB light and is properly supplemented, and has a good diet. You said a Reptisun 10.0 T5, as in the High-Output tube UVB? And it's mounted inside her enclosure and has a reflector. Is there any type of clear, plastic cover over the light? I'd have to say that MBD seems highly unlikely too.

I have a lot of experience with egg-binding in birds, as I bred several species of parrots for over 20 years, and it's both a tricky and fatal condition, and in bearded dragons it's not uncommon for the eggs to not show up on an x-ray if it's early (follicles will not show up at all), in fact I've seen and read of many cases of egg-binding where an x-ray was done and showed nothing at all. And her x-ray was 2 months ago, correct? Granted they usually do try to lay when they are egg-bound, but not necessarily. If she does have a black beard, as it appears that she does in the photo above, and she's not eating and lethargic, combined with the loss of the use of her back legs, I'd be very concerned about infertile eggs. Yes shedding can cause a lot of stress and discomfort but I've never heard of it weakening their back legs.

If it's been 2 months since she had the x-ray done (and I can only tell you my opinion and what I would do), I would take her back to the same vet, if that vet is a certified reptile vet with bearded dragon experience, and if not then I'd find the nearest board certified reptile vet and take her, and request a repeat x-ray based on the weak back legs (did she have the weak back legs when the first x-ray was done?), and if the x-ray shows eggs then you know immediately what the problem is. If not, then I'd request blood work to check her White Cell count (rule out Infection), blood calcium levels (MBD), uric acid levels (gout), etc. It's good to have a complete blood panel done anyway if she's never had it, at least you'll then have a baseline to compare to in the future, but it will also rule a lot out. In the meantime I'd put a basking lamp over the laybox you made (playsand wetted down but not damp), start digging a tunnel for her, then put her in it for an hour or two each day and see if she might be tempted to use it. If she's in pain she may be too weak physically to want to do it, hence the egg-binding. It's just my opinion, but the weakened/dragging back legs, the black beard, and the lethargy combined with her age all point to a clutch of infertile eggs pushing on her spinal column.

If she

wow thank you so much EllenD! She doesn't drag her back legs at all, sometimes she does get up and stands on them fine with no problem but she doesn't seem to like to stand on them recently, in her bath she uses them fine and actually climbs and jumps out of her bath, but in her enclosure she mostly lays there with her belly resting on the tile and her legs relaxed, Yes her UVB is a reptisun 10.0 T5 HO lamp with a reflector and no plastic over the bulb ( I removed it when I bought it), when she went for her XRAY her legs were fine and she was HYPER active in her enclosure running back and fourth, I will be bringing her back to the vet to get a repeat XRAY done, I was doubting MBD too because of the good bone density and she doesn't drag it just doesn't get up as much, Thank you so much, I will update after she sees the vet again. Thanks everyone for all your input

Ripley1015

Original Poster
EllenD":3dab45yl said:

If she

Update from the Vets visit today :
My husband brought her in to the vet since I'm at work, repeat Xray done - no eggs, doc says her bones really look good and she looks like a great healthy beardie from her physical and Xray, her front right leg looks a little swollen to him and he said he's not sure if her body is drawing calcium from her bones, they drew blood to get a more comprehensive exam and sent it off, he also gave my husband some liquid nutrition to feed her by syringe (not sure the name of it, husbands are not good with details) waiting for a poop sample to bring back to the vet to also rule out parasites. After the vet she went home and had a bath & was very interested in the liquid food and ate a bunch of it , she also got up and walked away from him when she was done eating. Now just waiting for the blood work to come back. [As reported by the hubby ] just glad she's not egg bound.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So she likes her " milkshakes " . :) It's probably Oxbow Critical Care or one of their other products. And I agree that she may have had egg follicles and possibly resorbed them, but fully shelled eggs would not be resorbed and would almost always show up on Xray, although I have seen some where the outline of the eggs was so feint that it was hard to make them out. If she were eggbound she wouldn't last very long.....it may be that she ressorbed follicles and has not felt too good since then. .

Ripley1015

Original Poster
AHBD":2sio27wf said:
So she likes her " milkshakes " . :) It's probably Oxbow Critical Care or one of their other products. And I agree that she may have had egg follicles and possibly resorbed them, but fully shelled eggs would not be resorbed and would almost always show up on Xray, although I have seen some where the outline of the eggs was so feint that it was hard to make them out. If she were eggbound she wouldn't last very long.....it may be that she ressorbed follicles and has not felt too good since then. .

Yup! He gave us Ox Bow carnivore care and she seems to like it, how long can they eat this for ? Is it a good supplement and is there anywhere I can get it cheaper than from the Vets office ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, you can Google + buy it on line. The Carnivore Care is very high in protein and fat, so only a bit of it needs to be given. Some dragons actually gain weight while on it, which you don't want to happen unless she were skinny + obviously underweight. You might blend up a smoothie from greens like turnip, mustard, collard and add to it to balance out the high fat + protein content.

Ripley1015

Original Poster
AHBD":2rzcetl5 said:
Yes, you can Google + buy it on line. The Carnivore Care is very high in protein and fat, so only a bit of it needs to be given. Some dragons actually gain weight while on it, which you don't want to happen unless she were skinny + obviously underweight. You might blend up a smoothie from greens like turnip, mustard, collard and add to it to balance out the high fat + protein content.

Thank you! I also see people mix the carnivore care with the critical care, should I buy a bag of the critical care as well? Or if we blend up veggies it should be fine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom