He's not growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
I have a baby beardie, he's about 4 months old now (wow, time flies!). I'm a bit concerned, as he isn't growing at all. He's still the same weight as when I got him 3 months ago (about 6 or 7 grams).

He didn't have proper UV for a while (I got sold a dodgy light when I got him, and had to get another one shipped from overseas). He's had his new one for a month now, it's an Arcadia slimline luminaire 12% T5

He gets fed crickets, twice a day. He gets one feed dusted (calcium 5x a week and vitamins 2x), and one feed plain. His appetite varies, some days he'll only eat 5 and other days he eats more than 30 (I don't understand how that many even fit inside him!). He also gets a bit of salad (mainly rocket and basil) but I've never seen him eat any.

His temps are about 42 (107f) on the basking spot, and around 28 (82f) on the cool side, measured with a temp gun. They do change slightly because of my room temperature changing, but they tend to stay around that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? From what I know, he should be much, much bigger by now. He seems otherwise healthy, normal and frequent poops, fairly energetic, loves basking and also climbing. He's still pretty scared of me though.

Ollie2

Did you try any worms? Like black soldier fly maggots?
Or maybe try some Repashy Grub Pie cut into tiny worms or pieces. I have a rescue and she wouldn't eat any worms or crickets at all. But once I got her this, her weight increased nicely.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ollie2":3vs9p9vk said:
Did you try any worms? Like black soldier fly maggots?
Or maybe try some Repashy Grub Pie cut into tiny worms or pieces. I have a rescue and she wouldn't eat any worms or crickets at all. But once I got her this, her weight increased nicely.
I do have some BSFL on the way, but he does eat a heap of crickets most days.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ollie2":2aps21hu said:
I think a vet visit would be a good idea.
Nearest herp vet is over an hour away... Do you think a normal vet would do (just for basics like parasite checks)?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CaramelBeet":370tuvpd said:
Ollie2":370tuvpd said:
I think a vet visit would be a good idea.
Nearest herp vet is over an hour away... Do you think a normal vet would do (just for basics like parasite checks)?

Yes .... and they can easily pick up the phone if they need to ask a colleague who is knowledgeable of and for reptile vet care in another practice to get advise if needed.

what size crickets is he being offered ?

How are you feeding the crickets and how are you gutloading them ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CaramelBeet":3vawfgyk said:
I have a baby beardie, he's about 4 months old now (wow, time flies!). I'm a bit concerned, as he isn't growing at all. He's still the same weight as when I got him 3 months ago (about 6 or 7 grams).

He didn't have proper UV for a while (I got sold a dodgy light when I got him, and had to get another one shipped from overseas). He's had his new one for a month now, it's an Arcadia slimline luminaire 12% T5 <<< will take a little while for things to kick in (now you have a decent UVB source), how far is the tube from him ? May need a reflector and to be moved closer.

He gets fed crickets, twice a day. He gets one feed dusted (calcium 5x a week and vitamins 2x), and one feed plain. His appetite varies, some days he'll only eat 5 and other days he eats more than 30 (I don't understand how that many even fit inside him!). He also gets a bit of salad (mainly rocket and basil) but I've never seen him eat any.

His temps are about 42 (107f) on the basking spot, and around 28 (82f) on the cool side, measured with a temp gun. They do change slightly because of my room temperature changing, but they tend to stay around that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? From what I know, he should be much, much bigger by now. He seems otherwise healthy, normal and frequent poops, fairly energetic, loves basking and also climbing. He's still pretty scared of me though.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2ola89p3 said:
CaramelBeet":2ola89p3 said:

He didn't have proper UV for a while (I got sold a dodgy light when I got him, and had to get another one shipped from overseas). He's had his new one for a month now, it's an Arcadia slimline luminaire 12% T5 <<< will take a little while for things to kick in (now you have a decent UVB source), how far is the tube from him ? May need a reflector and to be moved closer.

It's the full luminaire (has a reflector), his tank is only 60cm high so it's a bit closer than that. I'm pretty sure with the reflector and it being a T5, it's close enough? There's no mesh or anything between it and my beardie.
Hopefully you're right and he just needs a bit more time :?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CaramelBeet":1y22bekm said:
kingofnobbys":1y22bekm said:
CaramelBeet":1y22bekm said:

It's the full luminaire (has a reflector), his tank is only 60cm high so it's a bit closer than that. I'm pretty sure with the reflector and it being a T5, it's close enough? There's no mesh or anything between it and my beardie.
Hopefully you're right and he just needs a bit more time :?

Should be fine , that T5HO luminaire and 12% uvb is good for vivs up to 2ft tall, but I believe a beardie needs to be able to get inside 10-12 inches of the tube to sufficient UVA and UVB.
see extract from Arcadia website info page on their tubes.
t5ho_12_uvb.png

to get about 180 microwatts UVB / sq-cm .... you could get hold of a nice solid tree branch complete with bark on it and set it up at an angle so he can climb and get inside 10 inches of the T5 12%UVB tube. I think the optimal distance is about 10 inches from the Arcadia T5HO 12%uvb tube, if the beardie is basking about 50-60cm away from then tube , he's only getting equiv to a 5% T5 tube worth of UVA and UVB , ie about 50 microW UVB / sq-cm , and that's not sufficient.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oops, sorry kingofnobbys, I missed your first post last night. He gets 25 day olds from Frog Arcade, which are 10-12mm according to their website (although I might have picked them a touch bigger). On occasion, he gets pieces small size, when I run out of crickets before Tuesday.
The crickets get fresh rocket and some repcal juvenile bearded dragon pellets, I just chuck it in their tub and let them eat.
He has a feeding tub, which I move him into and then drop in a few crickets at a time, until he starts losing interest.
I didn't realize he was too far away from his tube, thanks for pointing that out. I'll try and figure out a way to get him closer (I'm really paranoid about him falling from high places though, sometimes he just jumps off things regardless of the height :shock: )

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CaramelBeet":2ywkn8us said:
Oops, sorry kingofnobbys, I missed your first post last night. He gets 25 day olds from Frog Arcade, which are 10-12mm according to their website (although I might have picked them a touch bigger). On occasion, he gets pieces small size, when I run out of crickets before Tuesday. <<< 25day old crickets are fine for really little hatchlings ....
The crickets get fresh rocket and some repcal juvenile bearded dragon pellets, I just chuck it in their tub and let them eat.
He has a feeding tub, which I move him into and then drop in a few crickets at a time, until he starts losing interest.
I didn't realize he was too far away from his tube, thanks for pointing that out. I'll try and figure out a way to get him closer (I'm really paranoid about him falling from high places though, sometimes he just jumps off things regardless of the height :shock: )
The little ones hang on pretty well - their claws give them grip like Velcro ! .... an option if you have some nice strong monofilament fishing line handy (maybe 60lb elcheapo stuff that lots of guys use in handlines) is to hang the reflector hood pendulum style from the lid - form two loops through the screen lid of equal length and slip the hood into each .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom