Excessive growth rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCHRKiller

Hatchling Member
My girlie is in the 14-15" range counting tail of course....however I got her as a baby from Petsmart only 4 months ago. She was maybe 6-7" at the time. I have heard from others that this is a very rapid growth rate...as she "shouldnt" be this size until she is around 1 year old.

She eats salad pretty well; mustard greens, bell pepper, carrot, tomato, cabbage, pea pods, strawberries, blueberries, etc etc...basically greens with 1-2 items mixed in most days sometimes only greens. Her salad is about 1/8-1/6 cup worth which she typically eats all or most of. I do calcium powder on bugs 5X per week...and calscium powder with D3 2X per week. She also has a T8 Repsun 10.0 bulb inside the enclosure inches from her basking area. She visits the deck in a clear 6qt shoebox(which she has really outgrown) 1X per week when it is sunny to soak in her bath and enjoy sunlight.

I also only feed her Dubia...she wont eat any other insect, she eats 3/4-1.25" bugs and has eaten some adults from time to time just fine. I feed an average of 20 per day depending on how large or fat the bugs are until it "looks like enough".

She is quite plump, belly is rounded but doesnt drag when she walks. She has a rather thick tail base and neck as well. I feel she may be overweight in all honesty; especially after seeing a lizard of comparable size at a local shop and it just appeared much thinner than her. She poops daily....it is well formed with white section and often times has the clear watery deal going on showing excellent hydration.

Is this about average growth rate or is this just very quick? I had expected having more time to upgrade her enclosure but her 40B is looking pretty small these days. lol

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Nope, she sounds perfectly healthy to me! You are probably giving her much better care than Petsmart was, so a sudden growth spurt is expected. My beardie is about 15" at around 9.5 months, but is a little on the 'smaller' side.

Mysty

Juvie Member
You're feeding her dubias, a high protein, low fat feeder which is ideal. The thick tail base and round tummy sound great.

At her age you don't want to rescrict bugs so keep on doing what you're doing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom